8478500.jpg
ivan-provorov-2018-53.jpg
How are they the same person???

Reactions: Rebels57

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
McAvoy has the better physical tools but Provorov has hockey IQ that doesn’t come around too often for young dman. That makes his physical tools play up.

Reactions: Rebels57

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have not voted in this poll because both guys are great and the margin of difference is not so big where either is an obvious choice.

I agree its hair splitting. Now I will proceed to argue over hairs.

The big thing Flyers fans have been saying for awhile, is that Provy has had to lug around trash since he entered the league. So throw the fancy stats out the window. We have seen him partner with Ander MacDonald for almost 1.5 years, go against top lines, and bend but not break. He has not been able to lean on a Norris winner in Chara or a Jones like Werenski has. It DOES make a difference.

That epic 5vs3 where Chara played the 4 minute shift....in Philly, that would have been Provy 1st over the boards. McAvoy doesn't have to do that kind of heavy lifting...Provy does.

It's also to why we point to how well him and Ghost have been doing. Look at the fancy stats now with that pairing. BIG DIFFERENCE.

He has 9 points in his last 8 games. Amazing what happens when you don't have to cover for AMac all game. And before anyone starts trashing Ghost, he has been playing great defensively. And as pointed out above, they both THINK the game in a similar way. It's a great pairing and one that fans have wanted for awhile, but we have a dumb coach.

Provorov is now top 24 in D scoring with McAvoy at #21, 1 point ahead.
At ES, Provy is tied for 5th in D scoring with McAvoy at #12, 1 point behind
McAvoy has 2 more PP points
That pretty close when it comes to production but Boston is a higher scoring team.

I just love that most people have no issue talking about Provy and being great defensively, yet here he is top 5 in ES scoring. His PP points will always suffer when you have Ghost on the #1 unit who leads the league in PP points for Dmen.

Let's just be glad out teams have these guys and were not the stupid ones that passed on them. I won't name teams....lol.

First, McAvoy was literally in the penalty box. As was Carlo. If it was Chara in the box you would have seen McAvoy most certainly.

Philly fans (and you in this post) use the excuse (correctly!) that Ghost is better on the PP and takes prime minutes away from Provorov. Chara is one of the best PKers in the league. Its literally the perfect role for him at this stage of his career. If the Bruins didn't make him their goto PKer they would be dumb. And not using defense only guys like Carlo, Miller and McQuaid would be equally dumb. Its the same argument as Provorov on the PP.

Bruins let those guys run the PK, and McAvoy comes out with Krug afterwards and puts up, shockingly, the same kind of numbers that Provorov/Ghost put up.

At 5 on 5, McAvoy plays more minutes than Provorov. Does that mean he is doing more "heavy lifting"? Of course not. Both are taking the assignments best available for them based on what team they are on. It IS splitting hairs between the two.

I don't think anyone would deny that 40 year old Chara is better than MacDonald. As a possession player, though? Chara isn't good. Without McAvoy, Chara is a below 50% Corsi guy on one of the best teams in the league. Chara is amazing inside the dots with his crazy reach and IQ. Chara plays a big role in Chara/McAvoy being the BEST top 4 pairing in the NHL at not allowing goals, but if we are talking fancy stats, its McAvoy going the driving. You know who Chara is? Old Shaq. Get him down in his wheelhouse and he is still a BAMF, but he is a role player now.

Provorov has been putting up more points getting much easier deployments with a skilled offensive defenseman. I'm curious why Philly made the change to not giving Provorov the difficult minutes as much anymore? He was getting 35% Offensive Zone Starts with MacDonald and is getting 66% with Ghost. Who is playing defense for the Flyers now? Is Provorov still "heavy lifting"?

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
McAvoy's hockey IQ is LITERALLY what makes his special... his hockeyIQ and poise is probably the best i have ever seen in a rookie in the last 20 years.....

a part from his hockey iq and poise... his passing is ridiculously accurate ... and sometimes too hard TBH.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Maybe these two are just that close... I like Provorov cause I watched him with the Wheat Kings but I'd take either one of them and not one more than the other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad