Confirmed with Link: Prout to NJ for Kyle Quincey

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Well wishes to Prout, who had his good moments and who I rooted for to turn it around and get back to the guy Don Cherry devoted some time to. But good move, Jarmo

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
My reports from Detroit fans are that Quincey is very underwhelming. If he pushes Murray to the pressbox, I'll be happy. My guess is he's the 7th guy around for injuries and won't play unless injuries happen.

It's no shock I like tough players like Prout, would have liked to have him clear the net on the OT goal last night, Savard is usually good at that, that was shameful...oh well, wish him the best and hope he gets playing time.

I would have liked to get Ott for 2 6th round picks. One of the top faceoff men and stirs up anger in the other teams.
In what world is your 3rd best defender put in the pressbox due to adding a 6/7 depth defender. Unless you mean Ryan Murphy and confuses Carolina and Columbus I think you have a fever and should rest and get liquids.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Hey all, Columbus based Red Wings (and general hockey) fan - I think this is a good move for Columbus. Quincey is a good veteran 6/7th defender that can play minutes on the 3rd line. The problem is that Detroit wanted to play him as a second liner when they traded for him a few years back (I think for a 1st or something crazy). No commitment and gets rid of Prout's contract. I don't think there is a downside here, honestly. This is a solid trade.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
When I was about 15 (many years ago), my father needed assistance replacing a part under the hood of his old Jeep. Since I was doing nothing and it was summertime, that fell to me.

At one point, he points to a nut that was mounted sideways on a bolt and tells me to loosen it, remove it, and not drop it. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me, and of course it goes without saying that I dropped the nut, which hit a hose, bounced off something else, and ended up settling in some unknown area deep in the engine.

At this point, he just walks away after telling me to get the (multiple expletive) nut one way or another. It took me over an hour to find where it had fallen, then rig up something to grab it and then actually extract it. I went back into the house and showed him that I had successfully retrieved it. He rolled his eyes and got out of his chair, and I (being me) made some smartass comment like, "What, you're not going to tell me how proud of me you are?"

He looks at me in much the same way that I'd imagine he'd look at me if I'd just whipped it out, and says, "I would say I'm proud of you if you had done something more than very slowly work your way out of a situation that was 100% your doing. Since you didn't do that, and you've only managed to get back to where we should have been in the first place if you hadn't messed it up, you get nothing."

Great post. Fits well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When I was about 15 (many years ago), my father needed assistance replacing a part under the hood of his old Jeep. Since I was doing nothing and it was summertime, that fell to me.

At one point, he points to a nut that was mounted sideways on a bolt and tells me to loosen it, remove it, and not drop it. It was a pretty tight squeeze for me, and of course it goes without saying that I dropped the nut, which hit a hose, bounced off something else, and ended up settling in some unknown area deep in the engine.

At this point, he just walks away after telling me to get the (multiple expletive) nut one way or another. It took me over an hour to find where it had fallen, then rig up something to grab it and then actually extract it. I went back into the house and showed him that I had successfully retrieved it. He rolled his eyes and got out of his chair, and I (being me) made some smartass comment like, "What, you're not going to tell me how proud of me you are?"

He looks at me in much the same way that I'd imagine he'd look at me if I'd just whipped it out, and says, "I would say I'm proud of you if you had done something more than very slowly work your way out of a situation that was 100% your doing. Since you didn't do that, and you've only managed to get back to where we should have been in the first place if you hadn't messed it up, you get nothing."

Ayyyy. Great post

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Really, that's your take?

The Jackets having the 3rd best record in the NHL is "where we should have been in the first place if he hadn't messed it up?" They should have had the 3rd best record for years, but Jarmo's been holding them back?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

The Jackets having the 3rd best record in the NHL is "where we should have been in the first place if he hadn't messed it up?" They should have had the 3rd best record for years, but Jarmo's been holding them back?

You finally get it...Howson was the end all of GM's and should never had been fired. I think if he had stayed whoever he drafted in place of Wennberg would be twice as good and Joey would have been converted to D to plug the hole there Brandon Saad would be playing elsewhere, Todd Richards would be a candidate for the Jack Adams and Pulji would be the rookie of the year. :sarcasm: :deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I'm also a little confused. While I liked Howson and think he caught too much flak, I don't think his team building was as sustainable long-term as the way Jarmo is constructing the team. Howson's may have gotten us to playoff status quicker, it also may not have, but it was built to be a perennial bubble team IMO, whereas Jarmo is building a contender. May have taken an extra year or two, but totally worth it.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

His post didn't make that much sense to me either.

Anyways, I've been impressed with Jarmo's moves as a whole, especially over the last while. He made some mis-steps particularly in contracts handed out early on. But he seems to have learned from that and corrected some of those mistakes (Prout, Boll).

Related note: with Boll gone last year and now Prout, who is the new consensus CBJ whipping boy around here? Do we need a poll? :sarcasm:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Sounds like the NJ people hate the trade, as Quincey is a legit bottom pair NHL'er. They think this was a favor the NJ GM did for Jarmo.

Question: What happened with Prout? I remember people were quite positive on him a few years ago, that he was one of our better dmen. Seem to remember people rating him higher than Savard, who has blossomed into a strong top 4 dman.

Here's what I think happened.
1. Columbus changed coaches.
2. The new coach put a premium on speed. That's not Prout.
3. The new coach wants defense men that can skate. That's not Prout.
4. The new coach wants offense through defense. That's not Prout.
5. Safe is death. Prout is more death, and not much safe.
6. Brad Shaw works wonders with D men. Ask yourself why Savard and Johnson have blossomed under Shaw and Prout didn't.

Just my opinion.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Here's what I think happened.
1. Columbus changed coaches.
2. The new coach put a premium on speed. That's not Prout.
3. The new coach wants defense men that can skate. That's not Prout.
4. The new coach wants offense through defense. That's not Prout.
5. Safe is death. Prout is more death, and not much safe.
6. Brad Shaw works wonders with D men. Ask yourself why Savard and Johnson have blossomed under Shaw and Prout didn't.

Just my opinion.

...pretty sound opinions.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I didn't say one single word about the previous GM, whose name I have mentioned on the entirety of HF three times this whole season. I wasn't drawing any parallels, or making veiled references, or anything else.

You also didn't say anything about the CBJ at all specifically, so you left it pretty wide open to interpretation. I do see your point now.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
What turned me against Prout were all of his horrific turnovers. Turnovers that cost us games.

And, no, he did not fit in the current CBJ playing style.

Good move by JK.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I think Quincey will be a good fit for us. He isn't flashy and he moves the puck up ice quickly, which Torts puts an emphasis on.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just to clear this up real quick, I responded to post #12, which read:

To me, heaping praise for getting from under the Prout contract is like heaping praise for getting out from under Boll's extension. Decisions were made to give a fourth-line fighter a three-year extension at an obscene salary amount, and a two-year extension to a fourth-pairing defenseman who had not improved one bit in five years.

I didn't say one single word about the previous GM, whose name I have mentioned on the entirety of HF three times this whole season. I wasn't drawing any parallels, or making veiled references, or anything else.

It's nice to see it being interpreted that way. But sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.:popcorn:

Folks bringing up Howson might be my fault, because I went ahead and drew that parallel myself - because yes, it's Jarmo recovering from mistakes, but he's doing so in a constructive manner. Which is something I viewed as a strength in the previous administration. So, my bad. :)

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Found this about Quincey from a wings site after '15-'16. Gives a pretty good idea of what we're getting.

"Kyle Quincey has been a pleasant surprise for the Red Wings in the last two years of a deal I wasn't happy he signed. while on an overall scale of all defensemen in the league, I wouldn't put him in the top 60. I think he's a serviceable 2nd-pairing defenseman who got played at many points this season like he should be a top shutdown guy. He's not suited for that role, but he also wasn't a tire fire when forced into it. I think he'd be a good addition to a team that isn't as desperate for high-end talent on the back end as Detroit and I'll probably wish him well right up until he signs with the Avs or something, at which point I'll fondly look back at his service here while telling him to get bent moving forward."

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Unless you expect GMs to be perfect, I'm not sure how recovering from mistakes can be viewed as a bad thing.

Maybe there are just too many perfectionists around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad