Prospects with Captain Potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguns

Dec 7, 2004
Chipchura had an A for prince albert this year but got it taken away. Not sure what the circumstances are but doesn't look good for his leadership

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
mazmin said:
Chipchura came to mind when I saw the thread name but I see he has already been added... how about Ovechkin. People never seem to see Europeans as future captains but look around (Koivu, Sundin, Naslund). When Ovechkin matures he could be a great captain, he loves the game and really really cares about winning.
Yeah, Ovechkin would be a great Captain. He could stick his tongue out at the opposition, mock them good when he gets them down, and cry when he gets hit too much and too hard. Get a whole team behaving like that - awesome.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
bigguns said:
Chipchura had an A for prince albert this year but got it taken away. Not sure what the circumstances are but doesn't look good for his leadership

He missed a team meeting, I'm pretty sure. We don't know the details but that incident is WAY OFF the ice...He's a good leader for sure. He's a Bob Gainy type of player/man.

As for Colliton being the captain, well, he's one year older and you don't take off the C of a old player(in junior) to put it on a younger player. That's not good for a team!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hey! Someone giving Sully some props! I heard Koivu's name when he was first drafted...don't know though.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Stoll for the Oil, yes.

But in terms of a "real" prospect... Marc-Antoine Pouliot. He may have been given that role too early in Rimouski, but he'll be a good one, eventually.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Hey! Someone giving Sully some props! I heard Koivu's name when he was first drafted...don't know though.

Mikko Koivu likely has what it takes to become a captain or at least get an "A". Not so sure about O'Sullivan. Frankly, a player like him might be better off just having fun and playing skilled hockey, leaving other duties to others. His latest stunt (the recent curfew incident) is NOT something that concerns me for his future as a player, but it is one more indication he has some growing up to do and would be better off without a letter. Just let the guy play hockey.

Most of the prospects name on this thread have a nice potential. My favorite has to be Mike Richards. Others that were named here that I really like are Phaneuf, Stuart, Pat Eaves, Stafford.

Some non-prospects who might make it to captaincy include Bergeron, Ruutu and Staal.

The only guy I strongly disagree with that has been mentioned a couple of times is Getzlaf. That guy is supremely talented but:

-Plays a dumb game
-Is underachieving with his talent
-Takes stupid penalties

That's one strike too many for me to consider him as having captain potential at this time. At this point I just consider him as a potentially damn good NHLer. That's more than enough.

One player who hasn't been named so far (I think) is Parise. Such a complete and skilled game.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
BleedBlue44 said:
i may sound like a noob.. but why is it that goalies can't be captains?

About 50+ years ago they figured it was a waste of time to have them skate the full length of the ice to argue a call.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I also remeber Elite Prospects saying that Rickard Wallin had captain potential.

Vik

Nov 18, 2004
Well if he wasn't on Dany Heatley's team, what about Jim Slater?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Crosby all the way. He will be an NHL captain for sure.

There are a great number of future leaders in the prospect pool and no doubt many of them will someday be captain of their team but Crosby is the only sure thing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad