GDT: Prospects Tournament Sept 16th - 19th

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
NCAA players can go to training camp, but they have to pay for it out of pocket. Devils and the college team cant pay for him to come.

So most NCAA players never go to training camp. Also since it messes with the college players training camp and early games

Reactions: HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is there any real reason why the NCAA would take issue with this?

Doesnt the NHL make hefty donations to the NCAA? Would think theyd be a bit more friendly about something like this
In the post NIL world it may be easier but there have been very restrictive rules in place about NCAA players getting benefits from pro teams for anything for a long time. Bo Jackson was declared ineligible in college because he accepted a ride on a team plane.

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
NCAA players can go to training camp, but they have to pay for it out of pocket. Devils and the college team cant pay for him to come.

So most NCAA players never go to training camp. Also since it messes with the college players training camp and early games

Couldnt his brothers just pay for it? Or his parents?

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
In the post NIL world it may be easier but there have been very restrictive rules in place about NCAA players getting benefits from pro teams for anything for a long time. Bo Jackson was declared ineligible in college because he accepted a ride on a team plane.
Reading the NCAA FAQ I was surprised to see even being given a hat or a jersey is a no go. They advise you to mail the items back to the team or pay the team for them.

Reactions: My3Sons

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
idk what NIL is but to be honest I dont like college sports outside of the atmosphere. This is the most discussion ive ever had about the NCAA

Reactions: My3Sons

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Couldnt his brothers just pay for it? Or his parents?
They could but why would they? They are not going to play in the NHL this season anyway, and it takes time out of their college training camp and NCAA games start earlier in season. I think Miles wood did one year while he was still in college, but the vast majority never go to NHL training campus

Rynewed

Sep 16, 2022
They could but why would they? They are not going to play in the NHL this season anyway, and it takes time out of their college training camp and NCAA games start earlier in season. I think Miles wood did one year while he was still in college, but the vast majority never go to NHL training campus
Because I thought Luke was expected to play late this season, so I figured hed like to get a head start on meeting the team and getting a few NHL practices in

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

You can’t miss class to attend a camp so I think that rules NHL training camp out for almost all college players, regardless of paying their own way.

I agree with you that even if Hughes could attend that his college practices are more important right now.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
You can’t miss class to attend a camp so I think that rules NHL training camp out for almost all college players, regardless of paying their own way.

I agree with you that even if Hughes could attend that his college practices are more important right now.

Haha that is true I forgot about classes. Yeah that is the biggest factor most likely too

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Because I thought Luke was expected to play late this season, so I figured hed like to get a head start on meeting the team and getting a few NHL practices in
I think that’s part of the reason the NCAA limits how and when you can interact with your pro team.

In the eyes of the NCAA, You have not signed a contract, You are not a pro, You are a college players and college eligibility is your priority.

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
idk what NIL is but to be honest I dont like college sports outside of the atmosphere. This is the most discussion ive ever had about the NCAA
College players are able to secure sponsorships now associated with their "likeness". My guess it is the NCAA tacitly admitting that they allowed EA Sports to use the likenesses (probably indirectly) of college football players without compensation which is illegal even if the NCAA rules prohibited it. Luke Hughes is sponsored by American Eagle clothing for example. Watch all the unintended consequences once boosters at Alabama and Texas realize they can just pay the recruits now. At some point it will get ugly.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas

College athletes go to class?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think there are also issues with insurance with college players and this type of “camp”.
Just not worth it. It would be awesome to see him play but no point him going all over the country for a couple of meaningless games.

College athletes go to class?
They just hire doppelgängers to fill in for them.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Is there any real reason why the NCAA would take issue with this?

Doesnt the NHL make hefty donations to the NCAA? Would think theyd be a bit more friendly about something like this
When has the NCAA ever not been Greedy and uncompromising?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad