Prospect Info: Prospects - Offseason Discussion

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The stats thread is at a thousand posts so I thought we should start a discussion thread that will get us through to September and the new Prospect Stats thread.

After 11 years, I'll be passing that on to someone else, because I'm getting old and my family wants me to be "responsible", which is a crock, as far as I'm concerned!

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Just wanted to say thank you for your work on this over the years. I've always enjoyed reading your prospect threads.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Stickied. Thx for your hard work over the years Seachd. Any volunteers to take up the job?

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Many many thanks for the years of work. As a long time member/rare poster, this was one of the threads that kept me coming back. Good luck with the post-prospect stats phase of your life!

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You can choose you family, but you can't choose your HFboard friends.

That's the saying, right?

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Good for Gomez for getting another gig.. wonder how he'll do in Florida.. hes got a decent chance at playing a more offensive role thats forsure

Edit: oh my bad this is the prospect thread? i thought it was trades and free agents.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Yakimov sounds to me like a Russian version of Martindale.

I had always hoped Martindale would over achieve and become a good 2way #2C with size.

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
Can Olivier Roy be a starter or should we be looking for other goaltending prospects. BTW I almost chucked the remote at the TV when Montreal took Zach Fucale.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Can Olivier Roy be a starter or should we be looking for other goaltending prospects. BTW I almost chucked the remote at the TV when Montreal took Zach Fucale.
Despite his struggles this year, I still think Bunz has the best chance to emerge as a starter from our prospect goaltenders. He put up some great numbers in the WHL - hopefully it translates to the pro game this season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679282&cmpid=nhl-twt

NHL.com ranking of top 10 Oilers prospects:
1. Darnell Nurse, D
2. Oscar Klefbom, D
3. Martin Marincin, D
4. David Musil, D
5. Marc-Olivier Roy, C
6. Daniil Zharkov, LW
7. Martin Gernat, D
9. Olivier Roy, G
10. Jujhar Khaira, LW

Great to see 3 big strong D mean on the top out our list. Musil not bad either. I think Gernat is going to have a big year . It took him to the end of the year to get going. I think he will light up the PP in the AHL this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The stats thread is at a thousand posts so I thought we should start a discussion thread that will get us through to September and the new Prospect Stats thread.

After 11 years, I'll be passing that on to someone else, because I'm getting old and my family wants me to be "responsible", which is a crock, as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for all of your work over the years in these threads, I vote that we send your jersey to the rafters.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'll be paying close attention to Jujhar Khaira's second season at Michigan Tech this year. I've been doing a lot of reading on him and he seems like a classic late bloomer. He grew 7 inches from the age of 15 to 17 and was passed up for the WHL draft due to being 5'5 when he was eligible. He was forced into the BCHL due to his size and his growth sprout has kept him under the radar. This guy could easily be one of the biggest steals from 2012. He's big, nasty, a good skater, has good hands and projects as a playmaking power forward with an edge. For comparison sake, Nick Bjugstad's first season at U. of Minnesota was very similar to Khaira's at Michigan Tech. Both had nearly identical PPG's at the same age but Bjugstad's team was also a lot better than Khaira's. Apparently he has great work ethic and trains hard in the off-season. I don't think a season around 35 points or maybe even PPG next year is out of the question at all. I wouldn't even be surprised if he starts to gain some interest from Team Canada for the World Juniors.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Darnell Nurse is over at Canada's Summer WJC Camp. He's paired with Matthew Dumba in scrimmage/practice.

So, how do you feel about Nurse's chances at making the WJC squad in Decemeber?

Rielly and Reinhart are returning players. Locked in.

Dumba may have an inside trade. Cut twice, last year of eligibility, and his coach in Red Deer is behind the bench for the National Team.

Other contenders? IMO he'll have the biggest competition from Derrick Pouliot, Ryan Pulock, and Damon Severson.

I think he'll make it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Darnell Nurse is over at Canada's Summer WJC Camp. He's paired with Matthew Dumba in scrimmage/practice.

So, how do you feel about Nurse's chances at making the WJC squad in Decemeber?
Rielly and Reinhart are returning players. Locked in.

Dumba may have an inside trade. Cut twice, last year of eligibility, and his coach in Red Deer is behind the bench for the National Team.

Other contenders? IMO he'll have the biggest competition from Derrick Pouliot, Ryan Pulock, and Damon Severson.

I think he'll make it.

I'd guess Pouliot won't make it, Severson will, and Pulock, Nurse, and Dumba likely make it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad