Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Man our rookie tournament is actually garbage. We play 2 games and that's it. Meanwhile a tournament like the Traverse City one has 6 teams in it.

I'm a fan on of the tournament, and I've gone to probably 15-20 of the games over recent years.

That said, there isn't a whole lot of point to it. The games are kind of a joke in terms of structured play, and it's basically a bunch of kids running around trying to show off, and usually failing to do so.

I don't blame them if they decided to reign it in a bit.

Reactions: Madic

Madic

May 21, 2008
I'm a fan on of the tournament, and I've gone to probably 15-20 of the games over recent years.

That said, there isn't a whole lot of point to it. The games are kind of a joke in terms of structured play, and it's basically a bunch of kids running around trying to show off, and usually failing to do so.

I don't blame them if they decided to reign it in a bit.
The last thing the hockey world needs is more games. Subtract 20 games from most leagues (SHL and KHL notwithstanding) and the product would greatly improve, but money so it wont happen.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The last thing the hockey world needs is more games. Subtract 20 games from most leagues (SHL and KHL notwithstanding) and the product would greatly improve, but money so it wont happen.

I have less of an issue about the number of games played as I do with hockey running into early to mid June.

Camp at the start of September, season starts two weeks earlier, ends before the end of May.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have less of an issue about the number of games played as I do with hockey running into early to mid June.

Camp at the start of September, season starts two weeks earlier, ends before the end of May.

I really wish the season would end sooner, even during May when it’s warm out seems like and odd time to be playing hockey or watching it.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I thought he'd be a little better skater the way he was hyped pre-draft. If he ever gets a little quicker he'll be lethal.
IMO his decisions with the puck outweigh the speed issue. There were a few times last year that Dermott and Liljegren just tore offenses apart in the defensive zone with quick, accurate puck movement and zone exits. They had time to move it and brace for contact by the time contact was made and the puck was already gone the other way.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Don't sleep on Bracco.

I just read Wheeler's account of Bracco on the rookie showdown and he seemed very impressed with his showing. I just got back from Toronto on the weekend and didn't have much chance to catch any of the games (Man I love your city). I guess Bracco spent most of the summer in Toronto working with staff and judging by what I'm reading it sounds like it's paying off? Did he play in both games and if so was he engaged throughout. Wheeler said he was the best player on his line.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

damn, again

probably time to call him a "bust" he wasn't lights out in the OHL either. So out of all of our giant dman gordeev is the only one left? that's some waste of picks, late picks mostly but still Rasanen was a 2nd.

edit: oh and greenway I guess too although he isn't fairing much better either

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
probably time to call him a "bust" he wasn't lights out in the OHL either. So out of all of our giant dman gordeev is the only one left? that's some waste of picks, late picks mostly but still Rasanen was a 2nd.

edit: oh and greenway I guess too although he isn't fairing much better either
he is only 19 still. it's too early to call him a bust. I'm absolutely not a fan of his developmental path though

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
he is only 19 still. it's too early to call him a bust. I'm absolutely not a fan of his developmental path though

yeah fair but he has never done anything to show he was worth a 2nd round pick. How about significantly trending towards a bust?

edit: someone had a huge fetish for a giant dman, be it Hunter, Lou or anyone but someone with power desperately wanted that giant dman to pan out. Safe to assume it wasn't dubas and I doubt it was Shanny that leaves hunter and lou with enough power to go hunting for their unicorn

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
yeah fair but he has never done anything to show he was worth a 2nd round pick. How about significantly trending towards a bust?
yeah I'd say right now he's a disappointment for where he went in the draft, and he has significant holes in his game that he'll have to improve if he wants to ever be in the nhl. there are still things to like about him though, and he has a ton of time. I'd like to see him on the Marlies so his development can be controlled a bit better

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
yeah I'd say right now he's a disappointment for where he went in the draft, and he has significant holes in his game that he'll have to improve if he wants to ever be in the nhl. there are still things to like about him though, and he has a ton of time. I'd like to see him on the Marlies so his development can be controlled a bit better

he has a to significantly improve to become a bottom pair KHL dman!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Are there any clips floating around of the goals from today's scrimmage with the Habs?

It's being reported the Leafs won 4-1.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

edit: someone had a huge fetish for a giant dman, be it Hunter, Lou or anyone but someone with power desperately wanted that giant dman to pan out. Safe to assume it wasn't dubas and I doubt it was Shanny that leaves hunter and lou with enough power to go hunting for their unicorn

Haven't liked his development path as well but I think it is premature to call him a bust. He is jumping into the KHL which could take some time to get into - give him the year to at least make some strides, as he just started his D + 2 year. I believe the KHL is a tougher league for a younger guy to crack but hopefully he established himself as a regular and can do well with what opportunity he has. An adjustment period to the pro's out there is a reasonable expectation.

As far as his 2nd round pick status, he was selected 59th OA which was right around were various sources had him ranked (in terms of a median and average):

2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #42 by ISS Hockey
2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #132 by Future Considerations
2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by Hockeyprospect.com
2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #58 by McKeen's Hockey
2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #68 by TSN/McKenzie
2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #32 by NHL Central Scouting

Eemeli Räsänen at eliteprospects.com

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Haven't liked his development path as well but I think it is premature to call him a bust. He is jumping into the KHL which could take some time to get into - give him the year to at least make some strides, as he just started his D + 2 year. I believe the KHL is a tougher league for a younger guy to crack but hopefully he established himself as a regular and can do well with what opportunity he has. An adjustment period to the pro's out there is a reasonable expectation.

As far as his 2nd round pick status, he was selected 59th OA which was right around were various sources had him ranked (in terms of a median and average):

right im not saying we reached on the pick at all. Just saying as of right now he hasn't done one thing to justify his 2nd round pick tag

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

No matter where a guys ranked I can't say I'm a huge fan of picking gigantic defenseman with poor mobility in the first 3 rounds

They just don't seem to turn out enough to be worth it imo

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Korostelev is playing for Colombus in their prospect tournament right now if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad