Confirmed with Link: Prospect Tournament Roster (Pens Win; D'Orio & Bellerive Signed)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

He apparently was playing bottom-6 minutes.

Pretty sure he was ranked to go in the later rounds, pretty easy to slip out as it only takes a team to like one player more than you. If he went back to junior and put up a PPG (Which I guess is what would be expected given his progression and bigger role), he'd be a shoe in to go somewhere between 3rd-5th round next year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, believe Jarry was the last one to come out of the WHL.
Played in the Mem. Cup i think in 14-15.
Pouliot came out after 13-14.
Morrow " " " 12-13.

ETA: Was curious so other Dub draft picks...

Uher 2011

then a huuuge dry spelll...

Moises Gutierrez 2004
Ryan Stone 2003
Jonathan Filewich "
Erik Christensen 2002
Cam Paddock "
Armstrong 2001
Endicott, Crampton 2000

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Yea, believe Jarry was the last one to come out of the WHL.
Played in the Mem. Cup i think in 14-15.
Pouliot came out after 13-14.
Morrow " " " 12-13.

ETA: Was curious so other Dub draft picks...

Uher 2011

then a huuuge dry spelll...

Moises Gutierrez 2004
Ryan Stone 2003
Jonathan Filewich "
Erik Christensen 2002
Cam Paddock "
Armstrong 2001
Endicott, Crampton 2000

We haven't had much draft success in the WHL in decades. You'd have to go back to the late 80s to find Rob Brown and Mark Recchi, both from the Kamloops Blazers. In the 90s it was only Andrew Ference and Jan Hrdina. (Kraft, Melichar and Rozsival also played WHL, post-draft). The 2000s had Armstrong and Christensen, and nobody else. So basically we've been getting 2 NHL players per decade from the WHL. For the 2010s Morrow and Pouliot are pretty close to busts already...

Btw, Erik Christensen retired this summer after winning the SHL championship. He's only 33 and initially wanted to keep playing. But he wasn't offered a new contract by HV71 and didn't want to move yet again. At least he went out a winner - it's the only title in his entire career.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty sure he was ranked to go in the later rounds, pretty easy to slip out as it only takes a team to like one player more than you. If he went back to junior and put up a PPG (Which I guess is what would be expected given his progression and bigger role), he'd be a shoe in to go somewhere between 3rd-5th round next year.

Likewise D'Orio probably gets the St Johns starting berth next year and if he done well there, would probably have got drafted in a decent spot. The more I read about these two, the more I like the gamble - guys with decent numbers and decent pedigrees who got left out of the limelight in their draft years and got passed over as a result.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, D'Orio and Bellerive would have definitely been drafted next year probably in the mid rounds, so I'm really glad we signed them. Just like with what JR said when he signed Aston-Reese, it allows the Penguins to be able to trade their picks while not hurting their prospect pool.

I can't believe in the last 2 years, the Penguins have added Bengtsson, DiPauli, Prow, ZAR, D'Orio, Bellerive, Johnson and Zink (he's on a WBS deal, but he looks really good and I imagine he'll get a NHL contract after a year) as free prospects. That's like 3 drafts of 2nd-5th round picks for free, considering where they are in development already.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Bellerive could turn out to be a huge steal for the Pens. He was a second overall pick in the WHL bantam draft, so it's not like he suddenly got good at hockey or something. Kind of surprising that he went undrafted actually.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Second in points as a 16 year old in the WHL too. More I look at it, more confused I am. Searching his name here gets a string of people shouting for their team to take him in the lower end of the draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Second in points as a 16 year old in the WHL too. More I look at it, more confused I am. Searching his name here gets a string of people shouting for their team to take him in the lower end of the draft.

Maybe a size thing? he's not tiny though and he's actually well built for his height. Seems like he's not a great skater but he has enough things going for him that you'd think he'd get picked.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Yeah, D'Orio and Bellerive would have definitely been drafted next year probably in the mid rounds, so I'm really glad we signed them. Just like with what JR said when he signed Aston-Reese, it allows the Penguins to be able to trade their picks while not hurting their prospect pool.

I can't believe in the last 2 years, the Penguins have added Bengtsson, DiPauli, Prow, ZAR, D'Orio, Bellerive, Johnson and Zink (he's on a WBS deal, but he looks really good and I imagine he'll get a NHL contract after a year) as free prospects. That's like 3 drafts of 2nd-5th round picks for free, considering where they are in development already.
Agree, I really like the sign of Bellerive, this guy has shown a lot of "will" in this days with the Pens, and I'm glad they took an opportunity with him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe a size thing? he's not tiny though and he's actually well built for his height. Seems like he's not a great skater but he has enough things going for him that you'd think he'd get picked.

There's conflicting reports on his skating out there. I recall it looking fine on a fast team though and a quick search through the forum finds a few guys commenting on his wheels. But may have been part of it, as may the height. Maybe some were put off by the sky high PIMs. Then the whole produced from bottom 6 thing. We'll see.

When you've got a free prospect where you're all going "Surely this is too good to be true", you know its a decent shot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bellerive is still in camp for a reason, I don't get how people think his skating isn't good, I thought his skating looked fine, seemed pretty quick.

Also interesting to see Miletic still in camp on a PTO. He was also noticeable in the tourney.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, Burgs, i checked out the hockeydb of each when i was searching and Christensen peeked my interest. Thx for the update.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
There's conflicting reports on his skating out there. I recall it looking fine on a fast team though and a quick search through the forum finds a few guys commenting on his wheels. But may have been part of it, as may the height. Maybe some were put off by the sky high PIMs. Then the whole produced from bottom 6 thing. We'll see.

When you've got a free prospect where you're all going "Surely this is too good to be true", you know its a decent shot.

I'd like to see jiggy or jmelm's assessment of his skating regarding the finer points of his edge work? Speed is only one part of the equation and its usefulness diminishes drastically if the edges aren't there. Stops, starts, balance and transitions are of much more importance.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Good on D'Orio and Bellerive on getting signed. If they pan out, great - free assets. If not, oh well.

Couldn't agree more

I was so so on D'Orio just because we have a lot of goalie prospects but I guess you just never have enough and in a case of a trade down the road, might as well have the depth.

Happy for Bellerive he deserved it, love these types of signings!!!

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Couldn't agree more

I was so so on D'Orio just because we have a lot of goalie prospects but I guess you just never have enough and in a case of a trade down the road, might as well have the depth.

Happy for Bellerive he deserved it, love these types of signings!!!

Imagine D'Orio has at least 2 more years in the Q so by the time he turns pro, Jarry will have graduated and Maguire will be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad