Prospect Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Malhotra has never scored 40 pts in his career.

No but he was a 35-point center in his prime (2005-06 to 2010-11) if you average it out over 82 games - which is also not as far off as "People still super low on Gaunce" would suggest. That's literally a 5 point difference.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Manny in his prime is a better/more valuable player than a middle of the road second liner anyways.
Agree with 100%. You look around at players like Gagner and think who is really more valuable to a cup. A really good piece in a minor role doesn't need to be replaced, it turns a position into a position of strength, win cups by gaining lots of little advantages.

If Gaunce ends up being a 35-pt C who can take on top lines I'd be very happy with the pick. You are right in that he doesn't quite have Manny's wheels but I think he's got better vision and shot. Time will tell if he ends up becoming that.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I personally see Gaunce as being closer to a 45 point guy who flirts with 50 points, is great defensively, but not Selke level. 30 points would be disappointing, IMO. I think he's got more offense in him than a Hansen type, personally.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I personally see Gaunce as being closer to a 45 point guy who flirts with 50 points, is great defensively, but not Selke level. 30 points would be disappointing, IMO.

45-50 points would put him between 35th-45th in NHL scoring for all centers this season.

If we assume the first 30 centers are 1C, putting up 45-50 points while playing solid defense would make Gaunce a great 2C.

You're setting yourself up for serious disappointment if that's your expectation.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
45-50 points would put him between 35th-45th in NHL scoring for all centers this season.

If we assume the first 30 centers are 1C, putting up 45-50 points while playing solid defense would make Gaunce a great 2C.

You're setting yourself up for serious disappointment if that's your expectation.
So be it.

I'm higher on Gaunce than most and lower on Horvat than most. I think they'll both hover around those totals (Horvat maybe a little higher, but not much). So maybe the disappointment/pleasant surprise will even themselves out if everything goes according to consensus expectation.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
So be it.

I'm higher on Gaunce than most and lower on Horvat than most. I think they'll both hover around those totals (Horvat maybe a little higher, but not much). So maybe the disappointment/pleasant surprise will even themselves out if everything goes according to consensus expectation.

He would need to score between 40-45 points to be a bottom end 2nd line center.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He would need to score between 40-45 points to be a bottom end 2nd line center.
In terms of point pace or actual points?

Edit: I just checked. A middle-of-the-pack 2nd liner scores at a 45 point pace. Find then, I predict 45 points from Gaunce.

It's an optimistic prediction because I'm optimistic about Gaunce. On the flip side, I don't think Horvat/Shinkaruk will be as good as most people think.

Last edited:

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'm not really a believer in the "top-x" players as a means of evaluating whether or not a player is a good 2C or not.

There are 30 teams, but only really 5 or 6 that are true cup contenders. Given that the goal is to try and build a cup winning roster, a 45-point 2C is okay, but not "great" when compared to the likes of Bergeron, Carter, Malkin, Couture, etc. We might be able to get by with a 45 point 2C (like Bolland/Shaw with Chicago) but that would require us to be even better at other areas of our roster (i.e. have a defense pairing like Keith-Seabrook, have a talent like Kane on the 2nd line...)

But ideally we'd want a much better player than that to centre the 2nd line from the perspective of building a cup contender, regardless of who the top-30 scoring centres were.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I see Gaunce topping out as a 25-30 point low-event #3 defensive center, and my opinion on that hasn't really changed since he was drafted. Like a Brandon Sutter or a more cerebral/less physical Paul Gaustad.

To score 40+ points, you need to see substantial PP time ... and I just don't see Gaunce as a guy who will be getting PP minutes in the NHL.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I see Gaunce topping out as a 25-30 point low-event #3 defensive center, and my opinion on that hasn't really changed since he was drafted. Like a Brandon Sutter or a more cerebral/less physical Paul Gaustad.

To score 40+ points, you need to see substantial PP time ... and I just don't see Gaunce as a guy who will be getting PP minutes in the NHL.

Why the 'low-event' label specifically? From his production?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I can also see Gaunce as a big-body down low on the #2 pp unit, but I'm not sure if he has the hands to play the role.

This first AHL season will be very telling IMO.

Additionally, Gaunce could be versatile enough to step into a top 6 wing role temporarily, not unlike what Manny did in SJ.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
How are his junior PP numbers anyways? From watching him, I think his skillset translates well to the PP personally

IIRC it was said that he was always a strong producer at ES. Don't remember about his PP numbers.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm not really a believer in the "top-x" players as a means of evaluating whether or not a player is a good 2C or not.

There are 30 teams, but only really 5 or 6 that are true cup contenders. Given that the goal is to try and build a cup winning roster, a 45-point 2C is okay, but not "great" when compared to the likes of Bergeron, Carter, Malkin, Couture, etc. We might be able to get by with a 45 point 2C (like Bolland/Shaw with Chicago) but that would require us to be even better at other areas of our roster (i.e. have a defense pairing like Keith-Seabrook, have a talent like Kane on the 2nd line...)

these do not contradict each other though. the top-30 centres are, by definition, #1 centres. if you object to the terms, stop thinking of teams as composed of #1s, #2s, etc.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Saw this highlight video someone made of the best Canucks prospect plays of the year. It's basically the Bo Horvat show, but Friesen shows some nice flash in the middle.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gaunce defintely has 2nd unit PP potential and it isn't uncommon to see 3C on the second unit given the 1st is overloaded a lot (think Kesler + Sedins) or a forward playing point. Gaunce has decent hands and a big body, he could play a role around the net.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Gaunce defintely has 2nd unit PP potential and it isn't uncommon to see 3C on the second unit given the 1st is overloaded a lot (think Kesler + Sedins) or a forward playing point. Gaunce has decent hands and a big body, he could play a role around the net.

I actually think Gaunce ends up as a winger at the NHL level.. he played his best offensive games on the wing.

brownbello

May 6, 2009
Powell River
I actually think Gaunce ends up as a winger at the NHL level.. he played his best offensive games on the wing.

Two traits that stand out with Gaunce is his uncanny ability to score goals around the net, always in the right place and what doesn't get talked about is Gaunce is an excellent passer. Looking forward to see the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad