Jun 22, 2014
Vancouver
Gaunce has the ceiling of 3rd line center lets be real
Horvat has the ceiling of a solid 2nd line center
Shinkaruk has the highest ceiling offensively out of our prospects
I

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The trade was about par for the market , the team trading the goalie usually never wins the trade
Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks
Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder
Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder
Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders
Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron
Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder
Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder
Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson
Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart
Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

Last edited by a moderator:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think Gaunce's most realistic upside is as a player who plays a similar role to Matthias.

Dane Fox:
I'm glad we signed him, and he has a shot at being an asset, but I think we have to give him some time. It's going to be a lot different this year where he's playing against grown men, as opposed to him being a man playing against teenagers.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Gaunce has the ceiling of 3rd line center lets be real
Horvat has the ceiling of a solid 2nd line center
Shinkaruk has the highest ceiling offensively out of our prospects
I

Describing a "ceiling" for players who are yet to play a professional game is somewhat silly.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think Gaunce's most realistic upside is as a player who plays a similar role to Matthias.

Dane Fox:
I'm glad we signed him, and he has a shot at being an asset, but I think we have to give him some time. It's going to be a lot different this year where he's playing against grown men, as opposed to him being a man playing against teenagers.

Yeah if he makes at as an NHL'er I think he becomes something similar to Matthias. If he turns into a Malhotra I'd be ecstatic actually.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I remember when Gaunce was drafted everyone was heralding him as a Ryan O'Reilly type player.

But now that we have Horvat who's going to be the O'Reilly type player, expectations for Gaunce have lowered accordingly.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I have high hopes for any player who says stuff like this

“Some people skate around the ice and they do nothing,” explained Gaunce. “But it looks good because they’re skating hard, but they’re not doing anything or accomplishing anything. What’s the point of wasting that energy if that’s all you’re going to do?

“Fans love it when players go hard and check the boards – miss the guy – they think that’s energy. But ... that’s wasted energy. That’s just my opinion.’’

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Obviously deflecting his subpar skating. :sarcasm:

ahaah got a good chuckle out of that one...:)

I really like Gaunce. i think his playmaking skills are somewhat underrated
He always made* his line mates much better than they actually were (when he was with Bulls)
He fed great scoring opportunities for his wingers but often not, could not convert
I'd really like to see him being paired with someone who actually have some NHL potential than playing with scrubs...no offense to them lol

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to predict that Gaunce ends up being a superior hockey player to Shinkaruk, personally. Love the way he plays.

Reinhart, Horvat, and Gaunce would be the perfect three guys to build three lines around, IMO.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I would say with Guance's hockey iq he is easily going to be a 3C like malholtra. He has a long way to get there, but I just see so much iq I can't imagine him not getting at least there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gaunce could match him in most areas but Manny had great wheels and those wheels really helped against players at this level.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Manny in his prime is a better/more valuable player than a middle of the road second liner anyways.

Agree with 100%. You look around at players like Gagner and think who is really more valuable to a cup. A really good piece in a minor role doesn't need to be replaced, it turns a position into a position of strength, win cups by gaining lots of little advantages.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That said, I don't see Gaunce projecting to be a Malhotra type anyways. I love his offensive game, personally, and feel that Selke-level defence is overly optimistic. I think he'll have a very versatile role throughout the lineup rather being stapled to a shutdown line.

The guy's an absolute ninja out there with his instincts. He seems to think the game in this weird Brett Hull-esque way, but with obviously less focus/skill on shooting and instead applying those smarts to other areas on the ice. Obviously I'm not comparing ability/performance

I can see him carving out all sorts of niche roles for himself. As opposed to Horvat who plays a pretty normal, straightforward way

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Manny in his prime is a better/more valuable player than a middle of the road second liner anyways.

Agreed.

That said, I don't see Gaunce projecting to be a Malhotra type anyways. I love his offensive game, personally, and feel that Selke-level defence is overly optimistic. I think he'll have a very versatile role throughout the lineup rather being stapled to a shutdown line.

The guy's an absolute ninja out there.

And... Agreed!

Gaunce is going to be a great all around centre.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed.

And... Agreed!

Gaunce is going to be a great all around centre.
I actually find his style of play more intriguing and fun/interesting to watch than Horvat. But I really love the idea of singular specialty type players like Holmstrom, Smyth, Hull, etc.

I don't know which combination of skills is really going to come through, but I'm pretty sure he's going to find SOME interesting niche way of playing that will make him a very valuable player

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I actually find his style of play more intriguing and fun/interesting to watch than Horvat.

I think a combo of Horvat on Gaunces wing could be one of the premier two way lines in the league.

I feel like they would compliment each other extremely well.

Both are heavy, smart, simple players with touches of creativity.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think a combo of Horvat on Gaunces wing could be one of the premier two way lines in the league.

I feel like they would compliment each other extremely well.

Both are heavy, smart, simple players with touches of creativity.
I feel like I would prefer Gaunce on Horvat's wing. But yeah, I can see some potential chemistry there.

Gaunce strikes me as the type who has chemistry with most players though

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Gaunce doesn't have Malhotra's wheels. Malhotra never had Gaunce's offensive instincts. But Gaunce, like Malhotra, should end up as a high level 3C. Should he pan out properly, Gaunce may eventually wear the "C" for the Canucks before Horvat does. In fact, putting on my Super Swami Prognostication Goggles, come 2019, I see Gaunce as Captain w/ Horvat and Mallet as Assistants.

jk... Mallet's a long shot to even rack up a game or two with the Canucks. 2nd Assistant... umm... Corrado.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Gaunce doesn't have Malhotra's wheels. Malhotra never had Gaunce's offensive instincts. But Gaunce, like Malhotra, should end up as a high level 3C. Should he pan out properly, Gaunce may eventually wear the "C" for the Canucks before Horvat does. In fact, putting on my Super Swami Prognostication Goggles, come 2019, I see Gaunce as Captain w/ Horvat and Mallet as Assistants.

jk... Mallet's a long shot to even rack up a game or two with the Canucks. 2nd Assistant... umm... Corrado.

whoever they take with this pick might have an outside chance at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad