Prospect Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
80 points as a 2-way centre would make him one of the best in the game. Not a lot of WC forwards hit PPG.

Those are Toews numbers and Boho is no Toews.

If he can match ROR type numbers and play ie 65 points and defensively good, that'd be tremendous. Simple fact is defensive 2Cs just don't put up big numbers, they don't get prime PP time unless they are Kesler'd on 1st PP unit, they don't get elite scoring teams mates, easier matchups, offensive zone starts. Even 60 points as a 2C is damn good. If he can put up 35 points in a 3C roll next year that is well above a pass.

Last edited:

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
How can you compare him to Malhotra and say he'll probably be a 50 point guy when Malhotra never got more than 35 points in a season?

Wow. I've repeatedly stated above I'm not COMPARING BoHo to Malholtra. I also stated above he'll be more offensive.

I was making the point that I view BoHo as a 2011 Malholtra. Meaning his impact on the ice etc. In my opinion BoHo will bring more to the table then offense, also mentioned above.

Again, I'm not saying BoHo is or even like Malholtra, I'm more or less using Malholtra as an example perfect 3C. If you don't like Malholtra, then replace his name with whatever 2C/3C you'd like to make yourself happy.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Wow. I've repeatedly stated above I'm not COMPARING BoHo to Malholtra. I also stated above he'll be more offensive.

I was making the point that I view BoHo as a 2011 Malholtra. Meaning his impact on the ice etc. In my opinion BoHo will bring more to the table then offense, also mentioned above.

Again, I'm not saying BoHo is or even like Malholtra, I'm more or less using Malholtra as an example perfect 3C. If you don't like Malholtra, then replace his name with whatever 2C/3C you'd like to make yourself happy.

Malhotra with more offense is a pretty damn good 2C.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Those are Toews numbers and Boho is no Toews.

If he can match ROR type numbers and play ie 65 points and defensively good, that'd be tremendous. Simple fact is defensive 2Cs just don't put up big numbers, they don't get prime PP time unless they are Kesler'd on 1st PP unit, they don't get elite scoring teams mates, easier matchups, offensive zone starts. Even 60 points as a 2C is damn good. If he can put up 35 points in a 3C roll next year that is well above a pass.

Has Toews ever scored 80 points? I'll go look but i don't think so. You other points are bang on, i just do not like anyone bragging up Toews in the Canuck Board.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004

I think there is a common misconception about scoring centers - that somehow there is a magical number of 1st line centers in the NHL that score PPG...

Do you know how many centers scored 82 points in 2013-14?
Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux, and Seguin.

And then there are centers that missed games with injury/etc that scored at or over PPG - like Malkin and Tavares.
So there were 6 PPG 1st line centers in 2013-14.

How many centers scored 60 points?

Just for fun, if there are 30 1st line centers plus 30 2nd line centers - how many points did the 60th center get?

I put forward that "even 60 points as a 2C" is way more than damn good - and, as you mention, that expectations for Bo Horvat should be much, much lower from a point scoring perspective.

NHL Center Scoring in 2013-14

S_C

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's what I get too. Now Dane Fox....I think he has been vastly underrated by people in HFBoards...at least in here.

If anything he's a overrated. I'm hopeful but realistically making the NHL as full timer would be a good outcome for him.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
If anything he's a overrated. I'm hopeful but realistically making the NHL as full timer would be a good outcome for him.

How so?

He's gritty
He's got an excellent shot
Has something to prove to the doubters
He was ranked 46th among NA skaters in the year he should have been drafted
His split totals between London/Erie were decent especially coming to Eerie which was a pretty crappy team when he arrived.
He then lit it up this year and was a beast in the playoffs
He's only a year and change older than Horvat
If anything he has more experience than BoHo or Shink coming into camp this summer.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
How so?

He's gritty
He's got an excellent shot
Has something to prove to the doubters
He was ranked 46th among NA skaters in the year he should have been drafted
His split totals between London/Erie were decent especially coming to Eerie which was a pretty crappy team when he arrived.
He then lit it up this year and was a beast in the playoffs
He's only a year and change older than Horvat
If anything he has more experience than BoHo or Shink coming into camp this summer.

me2 didn't mean his traits so much as there being a relative lack of reference points to compare his production to - I think it's because most guys like him with an early birthday for his draft year who go on to the NHL don't play their final season of junior as they're old enough for the AHL.

Basically it's like if Shinkaruk went undrafted and went on to dominate this 2014-15 season in junior when in reality he's going to Utica next year.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
A 50 points is easily second line production, factor that in with good defense and I don't see how you could possibly consider that type of player a 2/3 C. Well unless you believe Ryan Kesler is also a 2/3 C.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
me2 didn't mean his traits so much as there being a relative lack of reference points to compare his production to - I think it's because most guys like him with an early birthday for his draft year who go on to the NHL don't play their final season of junior as they're old enough for the AHL.

Basically it's like if Shinkaruk went undrafted and went on to dominate this 2014-15 season in junior when in reality he's going to Utica next year.

The thing with Fox is he was ranked to go in the second-third round when he was eligible but got passed over because of off-ice issues, are there other examples of this?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The thing with Fox is he was ranked to go in the second-third round when he was eligible but got passed over because of off-ice issues, are there other examples of this?

no. there arent really even many examples of any picks around 2nd/3rd staying for a 5th CHL year and doing what he did. like we have no idea if what fox did is good for a 3rd round pick at age 20, average for a 3rd round pick at age 20, or bad for a 3rd round pick at age 20 because very few third round picks at age 20 play a final season in the OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad