Prospect Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
for ur information, i never said McEneny is going to BE Hamhuis. I merely suggested he "plays" similar game style to Hamhuis and never mentioned anything about he has similar point production to him. He may not be as good as him in the pro level, but he plays similar game style in the junior.
Semantics. All I see is you trying to back pedal after comparing Hamhuis and McEneny.

It may look like I'm pickling on you, but you're not the only person who is prone to compare a prospect to Hamhuis.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
One of Lain, or Welsh will probably be canned... my moneys on Welsh. so based one that.

Pelletier-Gaunce-Ferriero
Shinkaruk-O'Reilly-Grenier
Stuart-Lain-Fox
Blomstrand-Freisen-Mallet

I think they'll keep Welsh around. He looked pretty decent on the 4th line earlier this year. Without any AHL veteran additions, next year looks like they could have (potentially):

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Jensen
Fox - Welsh - Grenier
Zalewski - Lain - Mallet
Kenins - Friesen - Blomstrand

If they can retain Pelletier and O'Reilly that would be terrific for their strength down the middle.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Semantics. All I see is you trying to back pedal after comparing Hamhuis and McEneny.

It may look like I'm pickling on you, but you're not the only person who is prone to compare a prospect to Hamhuis.

okay, clearly we r not on a same page when it comes to comparing a prospect to a player.

Another fact, McEneny does not play anywhere close to Aaron Rome. im not sure why his name keeps brought up next to Evan at all. I'd try to reason it out that he plays nothing like him but since their point totals r similar, that's all that matters

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
okay, clearly we r not on a same page when it comes to comparing a prospect to a player.
If you don't want people to get the wrong idea, maybe next time don't mention slightly-above average prospects in the same breath as Canadian Olympians.

That said, I don't think you've being genuine with me and it's only a 'misunderstanding' because you got called on it. Not any difference in my mind between 'same style' and 'they are alike.'

Last edited:

Lundface*

I haven't watched a lot of McEneny but I've been trying to watch as much of Kingston's playoff games as possible, since it's been a very entertaining series.

McEneny's a good skater. He's not as smooth as Hamhuis or Tanev, but he's no slouch. He has good awareness as well and seems to know when to jump up or fall back. He has offense, but he's also fairly conservative, hence the comparisons to Hamhuis and Tanev. His first pass is very good. His positioning and hockey iq have been solid in the games I've seen as well. He's done a good job containing Nick Ritchie, a much bigger guy, this series.

Look forward to hearing more

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think they'll keep Welsh around. He looked pretty decent on the 4th line earlier this year. Without any AHL veteran additions, next year looks like they could have (potentially):

Fox - Welsh - Grenier
Zalewski - Lain - Mallet

If they can retain Pelletier and O'Reilly that would be terrific for their strength down the middle.
Friesen will go. Mallet is still terrible. Oreilly or Pelletier will be kept so one of them can center a top six role

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I haven't watched Evan so I can't comment on his play. Is he at all dominant defensively? Good stick? Good reads? How's his skating? It's easy to get caught up in these kids but if he doesn't skate at an elite level or defend extremely well he has little chance of progressing any further. He isn't a big point producer so his ticket to the league will have to be either very good positioning (Salo like) or an elite skater (Tanev)

From highlights he seems passable in his puck handling, shooting etc. Either way people won't count him, have to be drafted to count :laugh:

when you're judging a defenceman against junior competition, there are a lot of skills that don't translate and I think it's pretty hard, without viewing them maybe 60+ times in a season, to get a really good understanding of what you can get from them at a higher level. i'm happy with mceneny because at a cursory he's shown both decent skills that coaches like (positioning, gap control, reading) and has also met the stat. baseline of a player who can make the jump. cederholm often looks good, but i think there's something translatable that's deficient that he makes up with his visible play against children

he doesn't really need to be a BIG point producer, he just needs to be a guy that can do it. hes shown last year and this year that he has that talent and id put him ahead of every other CHL defensive prospect that we have right now

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

Another fact, McEneny does not play anywhere close to Aaron Rome. im not sure why his name keeps brought up next to Evan at all. I'd try to reason it out that he plays nothing like him but since their point totals r similar, that's all that matters

what value is a 5th or 6th defenceman's stylistic comparison? oh man this guy is just like chris pronger except without all the things that made chris pronger a good defenceman, therefore hes just a psychotic animal on skates woooooo

hes using stanton or rome as a comparison because regardless of the good and bad qualities, thats his utility to the team. it doesn't actually matter if a defenceman's key strengths are bouncing the puck off the glass or skating really fast into the opposing zone boards if they don't deserve more than 12 minutes of ice time a game

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I haven't watched a lot of McEneny but I've been trying to watch as much of Kingston's playoff games as possible, since it's been a very entertaining series.

McEneny's a good skater. He's not as smooth as Hamhuis or Tanev, but he's no slouch. He has good awareness as well and seems to know when to jump up or fall back. He has offense, but he's also fairly conservative, hence the comparisons to Hamhuis and Tanev. His first pass is very good. His positioning and hockey iq have been solid in the games I've seen as well. He's done a good job containing Nick Ritchie, a much bigger guy, this series.

well, mceneny is still 6'2, 215. he's not small either!

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Fox - Welsh - Grenier
Zalewski - Lain - Mallet

Given the need for balance (of both development and winning), i doubt the top 6 will be full of prospect. Likely both Pelletier and O'Reilly will be back or at least 1 and a vet winger added to the mix too. Mallet really hasn't done anything yet to earn a spot on the AHL roster so his spot is very questionable at this point too. Not saying we should completely give up on him given how long it generally takes power forwards to develop but likely a good chance he'll start in the ECHL and need to earn his way up to the AHL.

Also Jensen might not be with the Comet next year depending on what the team does/who is still here next year/who's traded. Same for Gaunce (i.e. if Kesler is traded or JS isn't resigned/BG flat out beats him in camp again). Both likely have better than 50/50 shot of making the team next year.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
what value is a 5th or 6th defenceman's stylistic comparison? oh man this guy is just like chris pronger except without all the things that made chris pronger a good defenceman, therefore hes just a psychotic animal on skates woooooo

hes using stanton or rome as a comparison because regardless of the good and bad qualities, thats his utility to the team. it doesn't actually matter if a defenceman's key strengths are bouncing the puck off the glass or skating really fast into the opposing zone boards if they don't deserve more than 12 minutes of ice time a game

yes i get it. He may ultimately become or utilized as 5-6th types of defencemen who r most likely wont be as good as Hamhuis. Even for me, i dont have very much expectation from him nor i expect him to become anything near the type of Hamhuis ever will.

But the original question that ive answered was something along the lines of "what kind of defensive game does he play in the junior?" and i merely suggested that he plays something along the lines of Hamhuis or Tanev (similar to what tc23 said.... im not dragging u into this tc!)...NOT that he's going to be like them.

But hey, im back paddling again. So im done with this discussion. Although we can discuss this wonderful boring topic through PM if u want

Last edited:

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

Fox - Welsh - Grenier
Zalewski - Lain - Mallet

I don't know, I think they include a few veterans with leadership qualities. Role models for the youth.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Cassels has two assists already. Up to 8 points in 4 games, bumping him up to 5th in OHL scoring. 4 prospects in the top 12 right now.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Gaunce with a big game tying goal halfway through the 2nd. Put it home on a partial breakaway.

And yes, Fox has 2 more assists to lead the OHL in playoff points.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Damn it. Sounds like I'm missing another great game! I'm hoping one series goes to 7 so I have time to go back and watch them all. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad