Prospect Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Well, I mean, they have a freaking WHL team in their backyard, with top draftees coming to town to play the Giants. Surely you could find more talent from the WHL than we have. Hopefully Shinkaruk is the player that breaks that trend of avoiding the WHL.

Also, I'm almost, maybe a bit more excited to see Shinkaruk develop over any other Canucks prospect because he has the abilities to be a very exciting offensive player.

I have to agree. I've never said this before, or felt this way before, but I think this is a pretty special time for Canucks prospects. I think we'll look back at this time as a golden age of prospects. I agree about Shinkaruk, I think he's the most skilled player we've drafted since 2000. In terms of pure skills, he is elite. In 2013, other than Drouin and Mackinnon, Shinkaruk was the most purely skilled player in the entire draft. And this was one of the best drafts in a very long time.

I tend to set reasonable expectations for prospects, and half a point-per-game clip is good production for a good rookie prospect in the AHL for our team. (Note that this is based on an analysis that our AHL team is, and has been, a very low-scoring team with a low-scoring system in place). However, I think Shinkaruk will have the best rookie season any of our prospects has had in the AHL in the last decade. AND I realize he is coming off missing a whole season, AND recovering from serious injury, which normally will limit a prospect hugely when transitioning to the next level. But Shinkaruk is just that good.

Touching on what 701 said (and I agree), I think we have 3 prospects with absolutely elite shots in Shinkaruk, Fox and Jensen.

Jensen has already translated his shot to the highest level, and may in fact have the best shot on our NHL team. I don't want to make too grand of proclamations based on such a small sample size, but it's clear to me he has a high-end shot at the NHL level. His historic rookie season in the SHL wasn't random. The kid can put the puck in the net. He definitely has the best shot of any Canuck prospect we've had join the team for quite a while. Also, another thing that impresses me about him is his all-round game. Obviously it will take quite a while to develop, but he is already doing a lot of really good things, like back checking. With his speed and big body, he has a lot of potential.

Shinkaruk also has a terrific shot I think. A year before his draft year he put up 49 goals. And we've already seen his ability carry over in preseason action. He's just incredibly skilled.

And I absolutely agree with 701, Fox clearly has an incredible shot. He continues impressing me more and more with every game he plays. He has the best shot in the OHL, according to the OHL coaches poll, and he plays such a complete game. He could become a cornerstone for our AHL team next season. And with that shot (and grit and hustle) sky is the limit.

And I haven't even mentioned our #1 prospect in Bo. He's just a stud in every way possible.

Gaunce has some high-end skills, but the most impressive thing is his hockey IQ. He could become a work horse for the team. Cassels is impressing as well, and Hutton is setting records for his school. Not to mention Corrado who has a very good skillset.

I think all these guys are a few years off from making the big team, and they'll pretty much all spend a couple seasons in the AHL. But I think this is a very good time in terms of Canucks prospects, and screw what hockey's future says. They've proven time and time again that they have absolutely no credibility. When our prospects were Kesler, Edler, Schneider, Bieksa, Bourdon and Hansen, HFboards told us we had some 3rd liners and bottom pairing dmen, and that our prospects didn't come close to comparing to teams who ended up churning out a pile of busts.

I think this is time to be optimistic.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Should the prospects keep progressing the way they have been, 2013 will be one hell of a haul for Gillis.

I'm hoping he can do the same in 2015. I love these prospects, but we don't have quite enough prospects at Horvat and Shinkaruk's level. Those are the type of prospects this team needs to stay competitive.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Should the prospects keep progressing the way they have been, 2013 will be one hell of a haul for Gillis.

I'm hoping he can do the same in 2015. I love these prospects, but we don't have quite enough prospects at Horvat and Shinkaruk's level. Those are the type of prospects this team needs to stay competitive.

Can you imagine if Horvat becomes our elite 2nd line centre. Cassles our 3 liner. Shinkaruk 1st line. Subban makes the team. We could look back on that draft as being better then the Sedin draft!

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Watched the Kingston game a couple days ago and McEneny impressed me more than I thought he would, big guy, uses his size, cerebral play.

Might be one to watch in the AHL as a late bloomer

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Watched the Kingston game a couple days ago and McEneny impressed me more than I thought he would, big guy, uses his size, cerebral play.

went undrafted due too injury, but many thought he'd be a 2nd rounder if he'd stayed healty.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
went undrafted due too injury, but many thought he'd be a 2nd rounder if he'd stayed healty.

Oh yeah hahah, that would make sense. Regardless, he didnt look a third as bad as I thought he would, played well on the PP, defensively, took a tough penalty when he dumped a guy into the boards.

Playing style was definitely Hamhuis-like, maybe like a poor mans Hamhuis with a bit of grit to him

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Oh yeah hahah, that would make sense. Regardless, he didnt look a third as bad as I thought he would, played well on the PP, defensively, took a tough penalty when he dumped a guy into the boards.

Playing style was definitely Hamhuis-like, maybe like a poor mans Hamhuis with a bit of grit to him

Yup solid #5 D with an outside chance at being a #4 imo.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

im a lot happier being excited for mceneny than i am cederholm. they both have good qualities but mceneny is on the right side of the ledger

Lundface*

im a lot happier being excited for mceneny than i am cederholm. they both have good qualities but mceneny is on the right side of the ledger

I haven't watched Evan so I can't comment on his play. Is he at all dominant defensively? Good stick? Good reads? How's his skating? It's easy to get caught up in these kids but if he doesn't skate at an elite level or defend extremely well he has little chance of progressing any further. He isn't a big point producer so his ticket to the league will have to be either very good positioning (Salo like) or an elite skater (Tanev)

From highlights he seems passable in his puck handling, shooting etc. Either way people won't count him, have to be drafted to count :laugh:

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
I haven't watched Evan so I can't comment on his play. Is he at all dominant defensively? Good stick? Good reads? How's his skating? It's easy to get caught up in these kids but if he doesn't skate at an elite level or defend extremely well he has little chance of progressing any further. He isn't a big point producer so his ticket to the league will have to be either very good positioning (Salo like) or an elite skater (Tanev)

From highlights he seems passable in his puck handling, shooting etc. Either way people won't count him, have to be drafted to count :laugh:

So if he's not a super elite aweome-o defencemen, he's pretty much a toast?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

High levels to point production in junior are often indicative of basic NHL puck handling ability.

McEneny has enough to at least be counted as a potential NHL player. The problem here is every-time people see a prospect defensemen that's good defensively with low point production they declare "Hamhuis is his comparable!" when, no, no, you're probably looking at a Ryan Stanton or Aaron Rome 90% of time.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I don't think we have any d-men prospect that has shutdown potential right now? maybe Tanev will have that responsibilites? we do have some offense d-men.....

Lundface*

It really isn't a hard thing to understand. I'm not into using points as an argument as to whether a player has a decent future. BUT the two things I look for in a prospect are

1) Progression - good sign with Evan is his points have progressed

2) Tools/ IQ- this is a mix of things, but basically when watching the guy play is he a step ahead of the others? The only way a defenceman with decent offence makes it to the highest level is either they are smart defensively (almost a must, but some guy's are exceptions) or he has very good physical tools.

I'll use a guy like Tanev as an example. It isn't like his points stand out at lower leagues, and he will most likely top out at 35ish points, but he's probably my favorite guy on the team. He thinks the game so well and on top of that moves extremely well. Obviously he has his holes, like strength, but he didn't need a booming shot or anything like that to make it.

Hence why I'm asking someone that see's this kid play. Is he a smart defensive player and is he able to cover the best guy's in the league? Not sure where I said he's toast

People throw around a guy like Hamhuis as an example. He still got 60 points in 62 games his draft year, IE he dominated in the WHL. Just because Mceneny looks like Hamhuis in the OHL doesn't mean he will be able to keep that up against men.

Lundface*

High levels to point production in junior are often indicative of basic NHL puck handling ability.

McEneny has enough to at least be counted as a potential NHL player. The problem here is every-time people see a prospect defensemen that's good defensively with low point production they declare "Hamhuis is his comparable!" when, no, no, you're probably looking at a Ryan Stanton or Aaron Rome 90% of time.
Bingo this is what I was just saying.

Looking like Hamhuis against kids your age doesn't mean you will be Hamhuis against men at the next level. Hamhuis was a standout in junior, and settled into what he is now with the best players in the world.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I haven't watched a lot of McEneny but I've been trying to watch as much of Kingston's playoff games as possible, since it's been a very entertaining series.

McEneny's a good skater. He's not as smooth as Hamhuis or Tanev, but he's no slouch. He has good awareness as well and seems to know when to jump up or fall back. He has offense, but he's also fairly conservative, hence the comparisons to Hamhuis and Tanev. His first pass is very good. His positioning and hockey iq have been solid in the games I've seen as well. He's done a good job containing Nick Ritchie, a much bigger guy, this series.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

for ur information, i never said McEneny is going to BE Hamhuis. I merely suggested he "plays" similar game style to Hamhuis and never mentioned anything about he has similar point production to him. He may not be as good as him in the pro level, but he plays similar game style in the junior.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Hating that Mallet pick more and more.. :(

To think SJ selected Tierney with the draft pick they got as compensation for not signing Patrick White two spots before Mallet..

Tierney plays with Horvat on London and had 89 points in 67 games in the regular season, 7 points in 3 games so far in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad