Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice on Ice

You have to wait such a long time to make a judgment on Reinhart. He's still a baby. Defensemen like that take forever and ever to mature. You have to wait on those types longer than any other type of player.

You take a smooth-skating, cannon-shot type like Pulock... he will pan out earlier just by the nature of his style. I haven't seen that much of him, but on the little I've seen, my own two cents is that you can pop him into the NHL lineup right now and not miss a beat.

Reinhart... not so much. And that's honestly fine. They have the pure numbers in D prospects to let him take his time.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Oh, I completely disagree. When Strome was 20 years old, he was the best player in the AHL. When he was 19 years old, he was arguably the best forward in the entire CHL. Everyone who was actually paying attention to Strome gave him positively glowing reviews.

I'm not saying that Reinhart isn't good, but I don't think there are many people who wouldn't have preferred development like Lindholm or Trouba. On the other hand, there's a decent argument that there's barely any difference in value between Nugent-Hopkins, Strome, Huberdeau, and (lately) Zibanejad.

Apples and oranges.

You cannot compare the situation around an offensive forward with a defensive defenseman. Defensemen traditionally take longer, offensive forwards contribute at a much earlier age.

You need to compare Reinhart's situation to a closer comparison, like another defenseman. Discussing his trajectory and considering it against Strome's accomplishes nothing and clouds the reality of it.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Apples and oranges.

You cannot compare the situation around an offensive forward with a defensive defenseman. Defensemen traditionally take longer, offensive forwards contribute at a much earlier age.

You need to compare Reinhart's situation to a closer comparison, like another defenseman. Discussing his trajectory and considering it against Strome's accomplishes nothing and clouds the reality of it.

You need to lecture the person who made the comparison, then. ;)

The point is that Strome wasn't being discussed as a prospect that lacked anything (besides, say, strength - which should come with time). Reinhart *is* talked about that way. Fairly, or not.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think you missed the point. The point is, the guy that makes the NHL first is not always the guy that has the better career. In fact, there's a large amount of examples that show the exact opposite, especially when it comes to defensemen. It means jack **** at this point that Dumba is in the NHL doing what he's doing and I'd bet you money Reinhart will be better in two years time.

Oh I got the point. Again I'm into results, but I'm not overlooking someone's play at the minor league level. Whatever Dumba wins up being my only point was that right now he's better than Reinhart. At the same token I'm very aware of projections and I'm 100% confident that Connor McDavid is going to be better than Josh Bailey even though Bailey has been an NHL regular for years now.

That said, and completely throwing all stats out the window, in the times I've seen Reinhart play I have been underwhelmed. I'll fully admit I haven't seen a ton of him, but I also didn't see a ton of Strome, Nelson, deHaan, and others and could see the NHL level skills in the various roles they were projected to play.

To note - I also never understood the praise people were heaping on Donovan while he was at Bridgeport in terms of an NHL role. Donovan is a solid AHL defenseman, but so many on these boards thought he was going to step in and replace Streit in no time. I never saw that for a second, so while I will be thrilled if I'm wrong here, I'm wondering if some on these boards are hyping up Reinhart more than deserved perhaps due to the fact he was drafted so high and has a strong NHL pedigree.

I understand that Reinhart is going to produce very little offense and that we drafted him to be a true defensive defenseman. My point was that in that in the times I've seen him it look like he was struggling in that regard. I also realize that there is plenty of time for him to get it together, but if he's going to assume a spot on the Isles as a regular defenseman starting next season then I would have thought he would be further developed than what I see him to be right now.

All that being said...Believe me am pulling for Reinhart to be the stud d-man he was projected to be and prove why we drafted him #5 overall. If he becomes 80% of what he's projected to be then that is awesome and will be a BIG help in every way over the next decade.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Oshawa is beating Niagra 5-1, MDC with 2 goals and 1 assist. JHS with an assist on Niagra's only goal. Still in the 3rd period.

Talking about the OHL, McDavid scored FIVE goals tonight, FIVE !! He has 10 goals and 8 assists in 7 playoff games, WOW. Eichel looks really good too (won the Hobey Baker). Can't remember a draft where the top 2 guys are so damned good. Might have been the Turgeon/Shanahan draft in 1987.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Oshawa is beating Niagra 5-1, MDC with 2 goals and 1 assist. JHS with an assist on Niagra's only goal. Still in the 3rd period.

Talking about the OHL, McDavid scored FIVE goals tonight, FIVE !! He has 10 goals and 8 assists in 7 playoff games, WOW. Eichel looks really good too (won the Hobey Baker). Can't remember a draft where the top 2 guys are so damned good. Might have been the Turgeon/Shanahan draft in 1987.

What about the Ovechkin and Malkin draft? While they have not done as much over an entire career (i.e., Turgeon and Shanahan had lengthy productive careers...although Ovechkin and Malkin are not quite flashes in the pan), I'd take either over both Turgeon and Shanahan, although the latter brought more than just talent to the table (i.e., heart and soul). Still, man, Ovechkin and Malkin are in the realm of Crosby. If they are able to have some longevity, Ovechkin/Malkin > Turgeon/Shanahan.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
March 10
Junior Playoffs, Second Round
QMJHL
Quebec 7, Charlottetown 2-Johnston, -2. Quebec leads series 1-0.
OHL
Oshawa 5, Niagara 3-MDC, 2 goals (2,3), + 1, JHS, 1 assist, - 1. Oshawa leads series 1-0
WHL
Calgary 3, Medicine Hat 1-Burroughs, 1 assist, - 1.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

The top two in 1971 were pretty good, Guy LaFleur and Marcel Dionne.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wonder if we call up Reinhart or Pulock for tomorrow.

ONE CAN HOPE.

Washington's a heavy team...

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if we call up Reinhart or Pulock for tomorrow.

ONE CAN HOPE.

Washington's a heavy team...

The rosters expand for the playoffs so I expect they will get recalled, in addition to guys like Halmo, Zolnercyk (sp?), etc.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
March 10
Junior Playoffs, Second Round
QMJHL
Quebec 7, Charlottetown 2-Johnston, -2. Quebec leads series 1-0.
OHL
Oshawa 5, Niagara 3-MDC, 2 goals (2,3), + 1, JHS, 1 assist, - 1. Oshawa leads series 1-0
WHL
Calgary 3, Medicine Hat 1-Burroughs, 1 assist, - 1.

JHS' assist was a pretty one...

HoSanassist-2.0.0.gif

scott99

May 13, 2005
Color me crazy but it def has a Croby/Ryan feel with McDavid and Eichel.

I think Eichel is WAY more talented than Ryan. Crosby is the NHL's best player since his 2nd season, McDavid has a lot to live up to, but God is this kid talented, best talent I've seen since Crosby, no offense to our hockey stud Tavares.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm seeing more of a Turgeon-Shanahan thing. Comparing McDavid and Eichel to two HOF'ers is an insult to LaFleur and Dionne.

I disagree that it's an insult to them. We are just comparing how talented these kids are. On a side note, when I said they were the most talented 1/2 punch since Turgeon/Shanahan, I have to agree with others, quite possible Ovechkin/Malkin goes down as a better 1/2.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I think Eichel is WAY more talented than Ryan. Crosby is the NHL's best player since his 2nd season, McDavid has a lot to live up to, but God is this kid talented, best talent I've seen since Crosby, no offense to our hockey stud Tavares.

While I agree, Eichel is far more talented, I look at it the way of the generational Canadian and the highly touted American going one-two, the way Crosby/Ryan did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad