Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Hey Rex, enjoy the game bud!

Appreciate the reports. Always nice to have some first hand accounts of our guys. I know he's not an Isles prospect, but could you keep an eye on Shayne Gostisbehere for me? Standout dman from NCAA champs Union is supposed to be making his pro debut tonight!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Hey Rex, enjoy the game bud!

Appreciate the reports. Always nice to have some first hand accounts of our guys. I know he's not an Isles prospect, but could you keep an eye on Shayne Gostisbehere for me? Standout dman from NCAA champs Union is supposed to be making his pro debut tonight!

Will do Warrior.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Just arrived home from the Adirondack-Bridgeport game, with all the penalties it was a long game, trying to catch up on tonight's junior games, will post a recap sometime tomorrow. Did get to see Pulock's first pro point so for that. :handclap:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 18
OHL Western Semi-Final
Guelph 7, Erie 2-Pelech, - 2. Guelph leads series 2-0.

WHL Eastern Semi-Final
Edmonton 8, Medicine Hat 3-Reinhart, 1 goal (2), + 3. Edmonton leads series 1-0.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Found out that Pokka is contracted to Karpat next season as well. I'm not sure if they would allow him to move over to North America with a season left on his deal or not, maybe the Isles could buy him out of his final year or something but it's interesting information anyway.

I'm hoping it doesn't stop him getting over to the Islanders next season.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Here is a little wrap from last nights Bridgeport 3-2 (OT) win at Adirondack last night. This was the final game for the Flyers farm team in Glen Falls, moving to Allentown, PA next season. Flames will be relocating their AHL team, hope they move here (because I can do a little scouting).

Long game due to two first period fights, lots of roughing, misconduct penalties all game. Funny to see Joey Diamond try to fight 6'6" Oliver Lauridsen , who has played a little for the Flyers and Finley fought Zach FitzGerald (not a typo). Bridgeport didn't do much in the first 2 periods, good game by Poulin to keep Bridgeport down 2-0 going into the third.

Game changed with a short handed goal in the third, Ness hit Josh Holmstrom (don't know him at all), Scooter Vaughn joined the play to make it 2-1 taking the pass from Holmstrom. Tigers tied on the PP, Pulock found Halmo for a Brock Nelson like snapper,a nice quick released shot. In the OT, on a turn over in the offensive end, Persson found Sundstrom in front, that missed, Persson regained the puck, gave it to Ness, Graham broke to the net, using his speed retrieved the puck behind the goal line, went behind the net and found Sundstrom in front for the winner.

Graham-Of the young D men, looked very comfortable like he has been in the AHL for more than a few games. Fantastic skater, thought he might get overpowered, but he's so fast and quick it's hard to catch him.
Went up a ice a couple times, it's looks like he might be caught up ice but he's so fast he gets back.. Uses his stick well, was in position defensively. Shot isn't overly hard, good accuracy. Don't know if the Islanders plan to sign him but if you are going to sign a small player, this is one to take a chance on because his skating is that good. Thought he was a pleasant surprise, did not look out of place at all.

Burroughs-Finally a first look after just listening to most of Regina' s games, pretty much what he does in junior. He's just very solid all around, nothing flashy gets the job done. He is a little taller and maybe 15 pounds heavier than Graham though hard to tell. He plays bigger than his size and while he's didn't fight that much in junior, from the broadcasts Burroughs can handle himself quite well. Does not have to signed now, has another year of junior.

Pulock-Wanted to see the big shot, one did barely miss the net as he is feeling his way around, very conservative offensively, probably to be expected. Not worried about his shot and rushing ability, we all know what he can do.Pass to Halmo was right on the mark to Halmo who was able to snap the puck quickly. Defensive coverage is something he needs to work on, hope he is going to work with skating coach to work on his mobility, he's good straightaway. As of now look for him to start in the AHL next you, a little improvement reading defensively and skating would allow him to come on fast.

Mayfield-Having seen the small sample, he's what you see is what you are going to get. Needs a bit more AHL expirience, smart enough to play a simple game and not put himself in trouble by trying to do too much.

Gostisbehere-Not very big, along with Graham the best skaters in this game. That is what he does best, certainly did not sit back offensively with several rushes, had 3 or 4 shots on net. Did get caught up ice a couple of times but overall did very well, and looked confident in his first pro game.

VCR-Not very noticeable last night. On the small side, Not very fast, does have shiftiness. From listening to a lot of Plymouth games, he's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer.

If there is anyone else you want to ask about, please post, will be happy to try and respond.

Last edited:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Found out that Pokka is contracted to Karpat next season as well. I'm not sure if they would allow him to move over to North America with a season left on his deal or not, maybe the Isles could buy him out of his final year or something but it's interesting information anyway.

I'm hoping it doesn't stop him getting over to the Islanders next season.
Players in Liiga has NHL release clause in their contract. This is a deal between NHL and Finnish ice-hockey federation.

I can't remember the exact details but I think players in Finland can sign NHL-contract between the end of season and somewhere around mid-June. And finnish team will get around 300.000 dollars as a compensation if contracted player in question has played in the same club for the past 3 years. This money will be shared with multiple teams if the player has been contracted in more than one club during the past three years but that would not be Pokka's case.

But the bottom line is that Islanders can sign Pokka if they want and he is free to go.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Players in Liiga has NHL release clause in their contract. This is a deal between NHL and Finnish ice-hockey federation.

I can't remember the exact details but I think players in Finland can sign NHL-contract between the end of season and somewhere around mid-June. And finnish team will get around 300.000 dollars as a compensation if contracted player in question has played in the same club for the past 3 years. This money will be shared with multiple teams if the player has been contracted in more than one club during the past three years but that would not be Pokka's case.

But the bottom line is that Islanders can sign Pokka if they want and he is free to go.

Thanks for the post, really appreciate it. I had no clue of the workings of a possible out deal etc so thanks for clearing that up for us.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Report on last night's Bridgeport game is in post 60, always fun to see a first live look at the prospects we have been following.

Last edited:

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Graham-Of the young D men, looked very comfortable like he has been in the AHL for more than a few games. Fantastic skater, thought he might get overpowered, but he's so fast and quick it's hard to catch him.
Went up a ice a couple times, it's looks like he might be caught up ice but he's so fast. Uses his stick well, was in position defensively. Shot isn't overly hard, good accuracy. Don't know if the Islanders plan to sign him but if you are going to sign a small player, this is one to take a chance on because his skating is that good. Thought he was a pleasant surprise, did not look out of place at all.

Just wondering because I did not get to see much of Ness before he played at the Bridge. But is Graham's skating better then Ness? Ness is small and if he was going to make it then it would have to be on his skating(which was supposed to be great). Ness is a very good skater but I do not think it is so good that he is going to be a NHL everyday Dman.
And thanks for the report!

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Here is a little wrap from last nights Bridgeport 3-2 (OT) win at Adirondack last night. This was the final game for the Flyers farm team in Glen Falls, moving to Allentown, PA next season. Flames will be relocating their AHL team, hope they move here (because I can do a little scouting).

Long game due to two first period fights, lots of roughing, misconduct penalties all game. Funny to see Joey Diamond try to fight 6'6" Oliver Lauridsen , who has played a little for the Flyers and Finley fought Zach FitzGerald (not a typo). Bridgeport didn't do much in the first 2 periods, good game by Poulin to keep Bridgeport down 2-0 going into the third.

Game changed with a short handed goal in the third, Ness hit Josh Holmstrom (don't know him at all), Scooter Vaughn joined the play to make it 2-1 taking the pass from Holmstrom. Tigers tied on the PP, Pulock found Halmo for a Brock Nelson like snapper,a nice quick released shot. In the OT, on a turn over in the offensive end, Persson found Sundstrom in front, that missed, Persson regained the puck, gave it to Ness, Graham broke to the net, using his speed retrieved the puck behind the goal line, went behind the net and found Sundstrom in front for the winner.

Went up a ice a couple times, it's looks like he might be caught up ice but he's so fast he gets back.. Uses his stick well, was in position defensively. Shot isn't overly hard, good accuracy. Don't know if the Islanders plan to sign him but if you are going to sign a small player, this is one to take a chance on because his skating is that good. Thought he was a pleasant surprise, did not look out of place at all.

Burroughs-Finally a first look after just listening to most of Regina' s games, pretty much what he does in junior. He's just very solid all around, nothing flashy gets the job done. He is a little taller and maybe 15 pounds heavier than Graham though hard to tell. He plays bigger than his size and while he's didn't fight that much in junior, from the broadcasts Burroughs can handle himself quite well. Does not have to signed now, has another year of junior.

Pulock-Wanted to see the big shot, one did barely miss the net as he is feeling his way around, very conservative offensively, probably to be expected. Not worried about his shot and rushing ability, we all know what he can do.Pass to Halmo was right on the mark to Halmo who was able to snap the puck quickly. Defensive coverage is something he needs to work on, hope he is going to work with skating coach to work on his mobility, he's good straightaway. As of now look for him to start in the AHL next you, a little improvement reading defensively and skating would allow him to come on fast.

Mayfield-Having seen the small sample, he's what you see is what you are going to get. Needs a bit more AHL expirience, smart enough to play a simple game and not put himself in trouble by trying to do too much.

Gostisbehere-Not very big, along with Graham the best skaters in this game. That is what he does best, certainly did not sit back offensively with several rushes, had 3 or 4 shots on net. Did get caught up ice a couple of times but overall did very well, and looked confident in his first pro game.

VCR-Not very noticeable last night. On the small side, Not very fast, does have shiftiness. From listening to a lot of Plymouth games, he's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer.

If there is anyone else you want to ask about, please post, will be happy to try and respond.

always great to hear about our next generation. thanks for the reports.

what do you think about Graham becoming a forward? speed is always an asset, and i think he is just too small to be a defenseman in the bigs.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
One of my proudest moments as a person who pretends to know about hockey on the internet is making the Pokka pick before Snow did in a February 2012 hfboards mock draft. Just try to ignore me taking Dumba over Reinhart, Trouba, and Reilly.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1106269&page=3

Lot of people were high on Dumba. His offense plus the big hits kind of hypnotized people. Really glad we ended up with Griff though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Lot of people were high on Dumba. His offense plus the big hits kind of hypnotized people. Really glad we ended up with Griff though.

I loved Dumba too, got too enamored with his tools. Shows the difference between a high hockey sense player and a toolsy, low hockey sense player. Reinhart was the right choice for us.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I loved Dumba too, got too enamored with his tools. Shows the difference between a high hockey sense player and a toolsy, low hockey sense player. Reinhart was the right choice for us.

Wanted no part of Dumba, Griff has two goals and 7 points, in 10 playoff games, stats may not be jump off the page but he is making the other teams offense miserable in the play offs.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
always great to hear about our next generation. thanks for the reports.

what do you think about Graham becoming a forward? speed is always an asset, and i think he is just too small to be a defenseman in the bigs.

Really can't answer about Graham becoming a forward but the way he can skate, if the Islanders don't sign him, someone will take a look.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Just wondering because I did not get to see much of Ness before he played at the Bridge. But is Graham's skating better then Ness? Ness is small and if he was going to make it then it would have to be on his skating(which was supposed to be great). Ness is a very good skater but I do not think it is so good that he is going to be a NHL everyday Dman.
And thanks for the report!

Graham's skating is that good, not just speed, can cut and turn very much like CDH. Ness was a great high school player, looking back he maxed out at an early age, Ness wasn't great in college and in the AHL hasn't gone forward. Would not mind if they let Ness go and gave Graham a shot in the AHL, he's is better than Ness at the same stage, two seasons after being drafted. If not the Islanders, some team should notice him enough to give a look.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Graham's skating is that good, not just speed, can cut and turn very much like CDH. Ness was a great high school player, looking back he maxed out at an early age, Ness wasn't great in college and in the AHL hasn't gone forward. Would not mind if they let Ness go and gave Graham a shot in the AHL, he's is better than Ness at the same stage, two seasons after being drafted. If not the Islanders, some team should notice him enough to give a look.
Ness has been serviceable for the ST but he is not going to ever be an NHL quality defenseman. Too few tools.
They might sign him if he agrees to a ST contract to serve as a 4th year pro mentor to the youngsters coming in. The kid never continued his development and found a way to overcome his size deficiency.
Wd should ave kept Spurgeon instead as our "small" defenseman choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad