Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't know PW, always felt his offensive skills were overrated, Brock plays well defensively if they play him with JT. Just don't think he has enough offensive skills for the top line. There is enought depth now where Bailey shouldn't be handed anything.

With Bailey also from Ontario, there no excuse why he hasn't been to the dungeon to train with JT. KO made the trip, Josh should be ther too.

Bailey on the top line may not be the right fit, but he didn't look bad at all on JT's LW in the playoffs. He made several nice passes through the neutral zone to JT, he's smart enough to know to get our superstar the puck. JT and KO can handle all the zone entries and Bailey can be the safety valve. Bailey also has chemistry with Okposo. I'm not saying it should be handed to him, but he needs to be better for this team to improve. I just want them to try it out at least. If he were to have an Okposo like breakout season, that would be a huge bonus. At minimum, we'd know exactly what we have in him. He's teased us enough over the years, it's put up or shut up time.

If he were to come through in the #1LW spot, that would have ripple effects down the lineup and in a good way. You could have a kid line of Lee-Nelson-Strome to feast on the lower lines of other teams. Grabner-Nielsen-CBuck on another line could be our shutdown line and counterstrike line. Martin-Cizikas-CMac/Boulton would need to step up their games next season, but we've seen them be effective in the past. The coaching staff needs to stop overplaying them though.

Bailey is our whipping boy, but he could be a real x-factor in the fortunes of this team. I don't expect a huge jump like Okposo, but if he could be a 50-60 pt. #1LW who plays solid defensively... I'd do cartwheels for that. If he gets 60+ points then that would be a dream.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Bailey is better in a bottom 6 role and that has nothing to do with his lackluster career. He is a decent 2-way player with loads of offensive potential.

I'd like to pop him down to 4th line with Cizikas and Clutterbuck solidifying an elite 4th line. Since Cappy loves icing our 4th line with the other team's first line...this will be the compliment to that playbook.

Basically, the lines should be:

Nielsen - JT - Okposo (Nielsen would be a PPG player..we would have 3 x PPG players on our top line)

Nelson - New Centre in trade - Lee (A second Line centre is a lot easier to find than a top 3 wing....IMO) Nelson is not good enough to take full time role (playing centre) just yet.

Grabner - Sundstrom - Strome ----> If we got Helm Grabner - Helm - Strome

Bailey - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Yes, I know, no fighters on the 4th line, but they are solid defensively and they can take hits, plus get under the opponents skin AND won't break under pressure from the other team's offensive capabilities.

The third line can be used more sparingly to get the youngsters adjusted and in between games, scratch them so they can learn and call in McDonald or Martin. I love both guys, but eventually they will have to be pushed out. I don't think ANY of the rookies can outplay McDonald yet, but other than Martin's heart...he is being out skilled left right and centre.

I also noticed we are very low on forwards and TBH, while I think Sundstrom is a good player, I don't think he is ready for the big time. I'd really like to get an NHL ready centreman at some point. ...either through a trade or the draft.

Would you guys trade maybe a 2nd + McDonald + Mayfield for Helm? He would be the absolute perfect third line veteran centre for upcoming rookies. Personally, I don't think Nelson is ready for second line centre role, however, if we can land Helm, it would give Nelson more breathing room and less stress to centre the second line.

Last edited:

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
I think Bailey is better in a bottom 6 role and that has nothing to do with his lackluster career. He is a decent 2-way player with loads of offensive potential.

I'd like to pop him down to 4th line with Cizikas and Clutterbuck solidifying an elite 4th line. Since Cappy loves icing our 4th line with the other team's first line...this will be the compliment to that playbook.

Basically, the lines should be:

Nielsen - JT - Okposo (Nielsen would be a PPG player..we would have 3 x PPG players on our top line)

Nelson - New Centre in trade - Lee (A second Line centre is a lot easier to find than a top 3 wing....IMO) Nelson is not good enough to take full time role (playing centre) just yet.

Grabner - Sundstrom - Strome ----> If we got Helm Grabner - Helm - Strome

Bailey - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Yes, I know, no fighters on the 4th line, but they are solid defensively and they can take hits, plus get under the opponents skin AND won't break under pressure from the other team's offensive capabilities.

The third line can be used more sparingly to get the youngsters adjusted and in between games, scratch them so they can learn and call in McDonald or Martin. I love both guys, but eventually they will have to be pushed out. I don't think ANY of the rookies can outplay McDonald yet, but other than Martin's heart...he is being out skilled left right and centre.

I also noticed we are very low on forwards and TBH, while I think Sundstrom is a good player, I don't think he is ready for the big time. I'd really like to get an NHL ready centreman at some point. ...either through a trade or the draft.

Would you guys trade maybe a 2nd + McDonald + Mayfield for Helm? He would be the absolute perfect third line veteran centre for upcoming rookies. Personally, I don't think Nelson is ready for second line centre role, however, if we can land Helm, it would give Nelson more breathing room and less stress to centre the second line.

Creative, but I don't know how you amputate Frans, Brock, and Strome from the C position and expect to win...

Love Helm, but I expect Detroit loves him, and the feeling is mutual...

Don't know that McDonald has a spot on the team next year anyway...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Bailey on the top line may not be the right fit, but he didn't look bad at all on JT's LW in the playoffs. He made several nice passes through the neutral zone to JT, he's smart enough to know to get our superstar the puck. JT and KO can handle all the zone entries and Bailey can be the safety valve. Bailey also has chemistry with Okposo. I'm not saying it should be handed to him, but he needs to be better for this team to improve. I just want them to try it out at least. If he were to have an Okposo like breakout season, that would be a huge bonus. At minimum, we'd know exactly what we have in him. He's teased us enough over the years, it's put up or shut up time.

If he were to come through in the #1LW spot, that would have ripple effects down the lineup and in a good way. You could have a kid line of Lee-Nelson-Strome to feast on the lower lines of other teams. Grabner-Nielsen-CBuck on another line could be our shutdown line and counterstrike line. Martin-Cizikas-CMac/Boulton would need to step up their games next season, but we've seen them be effective in the past. The coaching staff needs to stop overplaying them though.

Bailey is our whipping boy, but he could be a real x-factor in the fortunes of this team. I don't expect a huge jump like Okposo, but if he could be a 50-60 pt. #1LW who plays solid defensively... I'd do cartwheels for that. If he gets 60+ points then that would be a dream.

I've always been a big Bailey supporter and nobody can tell me he has ever looked bad with Okposo or Tavares. Hell, Okposo and Bailey basically brought us to the playoffs last year with that great play.

I don't offense will ever be this teams problem, if Snowy gets us a goalie and a top six defenseman I'll be very excited.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Your lines are correct.

Bailey posted a career high in points this season with a poor offensive showing. I think it'd be a safe bet to assume he'd get at least another 15 points on the top line, which would put him around 55. If he does well there, we're looking at 60+, and he'd bring some needed defense to that line.

Him being bumped up gives us more secondary scoring with the kid line as well. There is no doubt in my mind that Lee, Nelson, Strome will produce points if given the time. I think giving them ice time is real important though. Nielsen and company are going to put up their points without getting top end minutes (as we've seen in the past) and they'd be real solid defensively.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 17
SM-Liiga Finals
Tappara 4, Karpat 3-Pokka, 2 assists. Series tied 1-1.
Trailing 3-0 going into the third, Karpat came back to tie 3-3,
Tappara scored on PP with 13 seconds left in regulation.

Tonight
OHL Western Conference Final, Game 1
Erie vs Guelph.

Last edited:

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
April 17
SM-Liiga Finals
Tappara 4, Karpat 3-Pokka, 2 assists. Series tied 1-1.
Trailing 3-0 going into the third, Karpat came back to tie 3-3,
Tappara scored on PP with 13 seconds left in regulation.

Tonight
OHL Western Conference Final, Game 1
Erie vs Guelph.

Pokka with 9 points in 11 playoff games so far? Impressive.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Pokka with 9 points in 11 playoff games so far? Impressive.

Even more impressive when you realise he had only 1 point in the 1st round (4-0 sweep by Karpat). So really it's 8 points in 7 latest games. You could say as the pressure ramps up and competition gets better Pokka is stepping up.

Quarter final: Karpat 4 - 0 HPK (1 point in 4 games)
Semi final: Karpat 4 - 1 SaiPa (6 points in 5 games)
Final: Karpat 1 - 1 Tappara (2 points in 2 games)

Thought he had another solid game tonight. I know I keep saying it but get Pokka to North America next season please.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pokka can't be this good. It's not normal for a 19 year old to put up those numbers in the league he plays in. So impressive. Could end up being one if those classic defensive steals from the 2nd round.

IIRC he was considered a first rounder in many mocks and rankings in his draft year.

Our first three picks that year are looking nice.
Reinhart
Pokka
Pelech.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
Pokka can't be this good. It's not normal for a 19 year old to put up those numbers in the league he plays in. So impressive. Could end up being one if those classic defensive steals from the 2nd round.

IIRC he was considered a first rounder in many mocks and rankings in his draft year.

Reinhart
Pokka
Pelech.

Yeah, it's funny how a guy who was basically a first round pick barely generates any excitement even if he has actually met expectations. I guess it's because he doesn't have that flashy physical game or the size.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Reinhart
Pokka
Pelech.

It's nice the have a a prospect go beyond what was expected, he has the de Haan like hockey sense, the major difference is skating, then again not many players skate like Calvin can.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Just a reminder, will be going to tonight's Bridgeport game at Adirondack tonight. Several of the prospects were with the Islanders late in the season so we had a look at them. Going to focus on Pulock, Burroughs and Pedan having never seen them play live, saw Graham at Niagara last season. If you have any questions or want me check out a player, post any comments, questions by 5:30, it's about a 40 minute ride to the game. Will try to post something after the game when I get home, around 10:30-:45.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just a reminder, will be going to tonight's Bridgeport game at Adirondack tonight. Several of the prospects were with the Islanders late in the season so we had a look at them. Going to focus on Pulock, Burroughs and Pedan having never seen them play live, saw Graham at Niagara last season. If you have any questions or want me check out a player, post any comments, questions by 5:30, it's about a 40 minute ride to the game. Will try to post something after the game when I get home, around 10:30-:45.

Pedan has be re-assigned to Stockton.

http://www.soundtigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=22700&ATCLID=209466767

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's nice the have a a prospect go beyond what was expected, he has the de Haan like hockey sense, the major difference is skating, then again not many players skate like Calvin can.

I think we forget that Pokka was a high 2nd rounder and may have gotten some late 1st round consideration. We talk about him like he was a late round steal, but he does have pedigree. It's really looking like a great pick.

We both love high hockey sense players, he's got it in spades. For me, it's the #1 trait I want all our picks to have. That and character. I agree 1000% with how this team drafts. Call Dawn Braid and have her work with Pokka, no problemo.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Agreed.

Rex, please have a fun and safe trip to the game. Enjoy and don't put to much pressure on yourself!!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Agreed.

Rex, please have a fun and safe trip to the game. Enjoy and don't put to much pressure on yourself!!

Thanks 90, no pressure at all, fun to see the prospects live rather than from listening to the broadcast. This does mean I can't listen to Dal Colle's game tonight.

To listen either go Oshawa web site or North Bay broadcast, CKAT

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I think we forget that Pokka was a high 2nd rounder and may have gotten some late 1st round consideration. We talk about him like he was a late round steal, but he does have pedigree. It's really looking like a great pick.

We both love high hockey sense players, he's got it in spades. For me, it's the #1 trait I want all our picks to have. That and character. I agree 1000% with how this team drafts. Call Dawn Braid and have her work with Pokka, no problemo.

I think the main thing in regards Islanders fans and Pokka is out of sight, out of mind. What I mean is, because you guys rarely get a look at him, obviously people aren't going to be as high on him. I fully expect it all to change once he gets to North America.

I love watching him play and develop, getting better all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad