Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Love Lee, and have been in his corner for many a moon now...but 35 goals is way too much to hope for.

I think the numbers this year are a product of increased ice time he may or may not see next year, and the fact that teams don't have a book on him yet.

I'm guessing he settles on a third line, and tops out at 20 goals. Hope I'm wrong.

Don't see it. IMO he's a lock for the top-six as it stands right now. Either on Tavares' LW, or forming that Lee-Nelson-Strome 2nd line. Even if that trio starts out as the 3rd line next season, I'd imagine they would pretty quickly pass over the Nielsen line. Lee will get his scoring minutes, especially on the PP.

I agree with you, he won't be getting 1st line PP minutes with Strome-KO-JT-Nielsen and maybe Nelson ahead of him, and IMO he will be playing 2nd/3rd line with Strome which will help him, but he will see less ice time. I see him getting 15-20 goals 35-40 points next season, anything more is gravy.

I don't see why he wouldn't play on the 1st PP. He plays the Moulson-role better than anyone else that's currently on this team. Nelson could potentially play that role as well, but IMO he's much more useful as a trigger man, and will probably be counted on to provide scoring for the 2nd unit. This is how I see it playing out:

PP1: Lee - Tavares - Strome - Nielsen - Vis/de Haan

PP2: Bailey - Nelson - Okposo - Hamonic - Vis/de Haan

scott99

May 13, 2005
Love Lee, and have been in his corner for many a moon now...but 35 goals is way too much to hope for.

I think the numbers this year are a product of increased ice time he may or may not see next year, and the fact that teams don't have a book on him yet.

I'm guessing he settles on a third line, and tops out at 20 goals. Hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't saying he was going to score 35 goals as a rookie, just mentioned that was the pace he was on. Like most goal scorers, Lee is very streaky, scored those 6 goals very quickly, than didn't score his 7th goal for quite some time, and then scored the 7th, 8th and 9th in consecutive games.

Eventually he may become a 30 goal scorer. He's a power forward, and sometimes they take time, but man, what a start he's off to, 10 goals in 24 NHL games, and add 22 goals in 54 AHL games. So 32 goals in his first 78 Pro games. Pretty damned impressive considering he was scoring at a better percentage in the NHL than in the AHL.

People were mentioning that the NHL will start to figure out Lee. Well, there's nothing to figure out, Lee is a bull in a china shop with good hands, period, either you can stop it or you can't, not brain surgery.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't see it. IMO he's a lock for the top-six as it stands right now. Either on Tavares' LW, or forming that Lee-Nelson-Strome 2nd line. Even if that trio starts out as the 3rd line next season, I'd imagine they would pretty quickly pass over the Nielsen line. Lee will get his scoring minutes, especially on the PP.

I don't see why he wouldn't play on the 1st PP. He plays the Moulson-role better than anyone else that's currently on this team. Nelson could potentially play that role as well, but IMO he's much more useful as a trigger man, and will probably be counted on to provide scoring for the 2nd unit. This is how I see it playing out:

There really isn't going to be a 'second' and 'third' line next year. Both lines, no matter how they are arranged will get similar minutes and be expected to contribute on the score sheet.

If the Isles do bring in another scoring forward for depth, that will leave three veterans who can score and are defensively responsible (Nielsen, Bailey, Grabner), and three young, budding scoring forwards (Nelson, Strome, Lee) to assemble what could become some really solid secondary scoring.

Don't forget we also have Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Martin, McDonald, and Boulton.

Lee-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Strome
Grabner-Nelson-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

or

UFA-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Nielsen-Bailey
Grabner-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

scott99

May 13, 2005

Even though Lee would be perfect for that first line with Okposo and JT, he just seems to mesh well with Nielsen AND/OR Nelson. And obviously plays well with Strome (the top line at Bridgeport). I'd love to see these lines, especially if they dump Bailey.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-FA
Grabner-Nielsen-Cbuck
Martin-Zikee-Mcdonald

BUT, I have a feeling that Lee will start on the 3rd line with Strome or Nelson as his center.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Even though Lee would be perfect for that first line with Okposo and JT, he just seems to mesh well with Nielsen AND/OR Nelson. And obviously plays well with Strome (the top line at Bridgeport). I'd love to see these lines, especially if they dump Bailey.

Lee-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-FA
Grabner-Nielsen-Cbuck
Martin-Zikee-Mcdonald

BUT, I have a feeling that Lee will start on the 3rd line with Strome or Nelson as his center.

That's how I see the lines going. Add a free agent like Callahan / Vrbata / Hemsky and we're set. The defense is harder to work out with Visnovsky's health problems etc

scott99

May 13, 2005
That's how I see the lines going. Add a free agent like Callahan / Vrbata / Hemsky and we're set. The defense is harder to work out with Visnovsky's health problems etc

Callahan is a pipe dream, but man would I love to get him, he was my favorite Ranger, and just having him and his leadership, would really help this team. I just don't see us giving him 6 mill a year, let alone 7 mill.

Hemsky would be perfect for the 1st line with JT and Okposo. He is more realistic I think.

If we could get Hemsky, an above average goalie, and a servicable dman, our FA period would be complete.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Don't like first pp unit, with Strome and DeHaan's creativity don't need Nielsen on the point, need a shooter to keep the pk from collapsing. Ideally in the near future that's Pulock.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Callahan is a pipe dream, but man would I love to get him, he was my favorite Ranger, and just having him and his leadership, would really help this team. I just don't see us giving him 6 mill a year, let alone 7 mill.

Hemsky would be perfect for the 1st line with JT and Okposo. He is more realistic I think.

If we could get Hemsky, an above average goalie, and a servicable dman, our FA period would be complete.

I just don't see a need to bring in any forward, especially someone soft like Hemsky. Callahan would be great, but that will be way too much money. If we can afford that plus a goalie, then sure. Go for it. Otherwise, I'm fine with this for next season:

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Lee - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - McDonald/Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck/McDonald
x - Boulton

Let Bailey get his shot. That line will produce no matter who is on that LW, and Bailey does have a history of playing well with Okposo and Tavares(although it was brief). Have Bailey train with them in the offseason, and start working on the chemistry as early as possible.

I think he could finally turn into the player that everyone hoped he would be if he actually gets an opportunity like this.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Don't like first pp unit, with Strome and DeHaan's creativity don't need Nielsen on the point, need a shooter to keep the pk from collapsing. Ideally in the near future that's Pulock.

It will probably be Pulock at some point next year, but to start they'll probably use two QBs again, or Strome(I think he played the point for a bit to end the season). The only two possibilities for shooters in the meantime would be Hamonic and maybe Reinhart. Perhaps Strait, but that's a stretch.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I just don't see a need to bring in any forward, especially someone soft like Hemsky. Callahan would be great, but that will be way too much money. If we can afford that plus a goalie, then sure. Go for it. Otherwise, I'm fine with this for next season:

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Lee - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - McDonald/Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck/McDonald
x - Boulton

Let Bailey get his shot. That line will produce no matter who is on that LW, and Bailey does have a history of playing well with Okposo and Tavares(although it was brief). Have Bailey train with them in the offseason, and start working on the chemistry as early as possible.

I think he could finally turn into the player that everyone hoped he would be if he actually gets an opportunity like this.

I just threw up in my mouth seeing Bailey on the 1st line. We want our 1st line to succeed not struggle. I don't want him ANYWHERE near the first two lines. 3rd line or lower. He is horrendous. Maybe put him on the 1st line the 1st week of the season and the last month of the year, that are the only times he comes to play.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Okposo has played point before, maybe put him there and let Strome play right wing, just another possible option for the powerplay.

We have seen Strome's slap shot. He's the perfect RH point shot for our PP. I Like him and de Haan/vis at the points. All three have great vision. Strome has a cannon & de Haan/Vis can get the puck on net.

Our 1st pp unit should look like...

Lee/Nelson - JT - KO
Strome - de Haan/Vis

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I just threw up in my mouth seeing Bailey on the 1st line. We want our 1st line to succeed not struggle. I don't want him ANYWHERE near the first two lines. 3rd line or lower. He is horrendous. Maybe put him on the 1st line the 1st week of the season and the last month of the year, that are the only times he comes to play.

That's a pretty big exaggeration. Even if Bailey ends up struggling, big deal. You can shuffle the lines. I just don't see why they wouldn't at least try this. They have never done it before, which is insane considering the success he's had with both players, and the amount they have invested into him. At least give the kid a chance to succeed.

Regardless, playing Bailey on the top line is no more vomit worthy than playing Boyes there, and we were able to make the playoffs with him on our top line.

IMO, Bailey-Tavares-Okposo >> Moulson-Tavares-Boyes

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
We have seen Strome's slap shot. He's the perfect RH point shot for our PP. I Like him and de Haan/vis at the points. All three have great vision. Strome has a cannon & de Haan/Vis can get the puck on net.

Our 1st pp unit should look like...

Lee/Nelson - JT - KO
Strome - de Haan/Vis

At least there are options, would really help if Vis is healthy so he can team with one of the young guys, have to have at least one vet to start with.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

You know if you substitute Bailey with KO, your post would sound a lot like what people were saying about Okposo a couple of years ago. Remember when KO was just an average 2nd liner maybe even a 3rd liner.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Big supporter of Lee here since we drafted him, but have always said he would top out as a third liner, and am sticking by it.

He just doesn't skate well enough to be a first liner IMO. That's something vanek could get away from because he had Lee's size, but also a sick set of mitts that could buy him time.

I see Lee like Moulson- great in tight, but with skating issues. I think Lee could be a fixture in front of the net on the second power play unit.

PP 1

Nielsen--Tavares--Okposo--FREE AGENT LW?
Strome-Viz

PP 2

Lee-Nelson-Bailey....Clutterbuck? free agent? Michalek or Cammy?

CDH-Hammer

edit: forgot Clutterbuck, who the Isles need to be one of their secondary scorers...hopefully we see the healthy version all season...Cal should be 15 goals + type player too...and we all saw the PP time he was given this season.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Bailey is the second highest paid forward on our team and believe or not had a career year in points. The skill is there, he can shoot and dish the puck, it's just the confidence and consistency that he is struggling with, like Okposo did. I think him riding shotgun with JT and Okposo would help him take that next step.

I'd still rather sign a veteran scoring winger, but if we don't get one, I would like to see Bailey on the top line at some point.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
About our PP next season, I feel like it's going to be much improved. We seem to have an abundance of left handed shots and with Strome added to the 1st unit it could be lethal.

Lee screening the goalie, Tavares and Okposo waiting for one timers and Strome with de Haan at the point. The penalty killers will have to cover so much more ground with 2 lefties and 2 righties on either side naturally creating a larger box to maneuver.

Even the 2nd PP unit would be nice with Nelson, Nielsen, Bailey, Hamonic and Visnovsky. I'm excited.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bailey is the second highest paid forward on our team and believe or not had a career year in points. The skill is there, he can shoot and dish the puck, it's just the confidence and consistency that he is struggling with, like Okposo did. I think him riding shotgun with JT and Okposo would help him take that next step.

I'd still rather sign a veteran scoring winger, but if we don't get one, I would like to see Bailey on the top line at some point.

38 points, with the majority of those points down the stretch in meaningless games, which is what he seems to do every year, isn't good enough. He goes missing for the majority of the season and offers nothing when we need it. If you go back through his career, most of his better performances are when the pressure is off and we're out of the playoffs trying to work out what draft pick we will have in the lotto. Just not good enough.

I reckon Bailey isn't going to be an islander next season, I fully expect some trades with our draft pick being moved as well in the right trade.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
38 points, with the majority of those points down the stretch in meaningless games, which is what he seems to do every year, isn't good enough. He goes missing for the majority of the season and offers nothing when we need it.

I reckon Bailey isn't going to be an islander next season, I fully expect some trades with our draft pick being moved as well in the right trade.

38 points, while not impressive, was fourth on the Islanders.

Also, I disagree that he performed in meaningless games, he performed against NHL players in NHL games (maybe not the Buffalo game, but my point still stands :laugh:).

Regarding the last part of your post. I'd be SHOCKED if Bailey is dealt. We didn't see Snow rushing to dump Okposo when he looked like a third liner two years ago.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
38 points, while not impressive, was fourth on the Islanders.

Also, I disagree that he performed in meaningless games, he performed against NHL players in NHL games (maybe not the Buffalo game, but my point still stands :laugh:).

Regarding the last part of your post. I'd be SHOCKED if Bailey is dealt. We didn't see Snow rushing to dump Okposo when he looked like a third liner two years ago.

There is one reason I know we won't trade Bailey. He gets paid 2.5M next season although the caphit is 3.3M. That's how the Islanders roll

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There is one reason I know we won't trade Bailey. He gets paid 2.5M next season although the caphit is 3.3M. That's how the Islanders roll

Snow signed Bailey to a long-term deal, signifying that he is part of the core. How would it look it to the fans, the league, and most importantly the locker room if Snow dealt Bailey for a measly return of a pick and AHL plug after a season where the entire Islanders team under-performed and dealt with injuries?

You tell me.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Snow signed Bailey to a long-term deal, signifying that he is part of the core. How would it look it to the fans, the league, and most importantly the locker room if Snow dealt Bailey for a measly return of a pick and AHL plug after a season where the entire Islanders team under-performed and dealt with injuries?

You tell me.

It would look great if Bailey was traded and then we looked to bring in a better player in free agency.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It would look great if Bailey was traded and then we looked to bring in a better player in free agency.

Not only is that going against everything the Islanders have done since the start of the John Tavares era (which I necessarily don't agree with, but understand), but when was the last time the Islanders signed a high profile UFA?

Maybe you are rooting for the wrong team here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad