Prospect Info: Prospect Regular Season & Playoffs - 2015/6

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Why even bother? I could see if they were in the playoffs.

Even if it's only two games, I think it could be very helpful for helping them identify areas that need improvement. Then they'll have the summer to think about what they could do better.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It lets them experience pro hockey before comitting to a chosen off-season regimen. It might motivate them to work harder or help them realize what they need to focus on.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone else think Dvorak's chances of making the roster next season took a hit with Maloney gone? He was always Dvorak's #1 advocate far as I could tell.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Anyone else think Dvorak's chances of making the roster next season took a hit with Maloney gone? He was always Dvorak's #1 advocate far as I could tell.

I don't. I actually think his chances increase now. He's a solid 200 foot player. DT is not going to have a hard time picking Dvorak over Strome for that last center position.

Personally, I'd like to see Strome make the NHL squad, and Dvorak in the AHL. This allows us to call up Dvorak when Hanzal goes down.

With this said, MacInnis may get the call up instead. Would prefer my suggestion above. But no, I actually think Dvorak is more likely to make the team than Strome.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Only if you assume DT doesn't evaluate and just picks favorites. ;) Then again, if I had to put money on a prospect being his favorite, it'd be Dvorak. No UFA center or trade for one, Dvorak probably makes it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Only if you assume DT doesn't evaluate and just picks favorites. ;) Then again, if I had to put money on a prospect being his favorite, it'd be Dvorak. No UFA center or trade for one, Dvorak probably makes it.

That's kind of what I'm getting at though. I think that just got substantially more likely and will block one or both of Strome/Dvorak.

But no, I actually think Dvorak is more likely to make the team than Strome.

Dvorak can play in the A so he's easier to hide even if he is theoretically more of a Tippett guy. If Strome ends up back in Erie that would be pretty terrible even in a situation where Dvorak makes the NHL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Depends on # of young players Tip wants to carry on roster. With his AHL eligibility it's not a bad thing to send Dvorak for seasoning. That being said, Dvorak is very close. Plays a style of game Tippett will love.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't. I actually think his chances increase now. He's a solid 200 foot player. DT is not going to have a hard time picking Dvorak over Strome for that last center position.

Personally, I'd like to see Strome make the NHL squad, and Dvorak in the AHL. This allows us to call up Dvorak when Hanzal goes down.

With this said, MacInnis may get the call up instead. Would prefer my suggestion above. But no, I actually think Dvorak is more likely to make the team than Strome.

Strome will be here, he is not going back to junior.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Strome will be here, he is not going back to junior.

He outgrew that league long ago.

The CHL/NHL agreement on graduating players to the NHL needs to be amended. Too many players that are AHL ready stay in the CHL where their development is stunted.

I wonder if Matthews decision to play pro hockey in Europe will catch on with other top prospects.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He outgrew that league long ago.

The CHL/NHL agreement on graduating players to the NHL needs to be amended. Too many players that are AHL ready stay in the CHL where their development is stunted.

I wonder if Matthews decision to play pro hockey in Europe will catch on with other top prospects.

I believe Matthews could go to Europe was because he had not played in the NCAA or the CHL. I could be wrong though.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I believe Matthews could go to Europe was because he had not played in the NCAA or the CHL. I could be wrong though.

I think anyone can play in Europe regardless of CHL or NCAA participation. My comment concerned the rationale to play pro hockey in Europe vs the CHL. Has Matthews ever said why he chose that route? Was it to make more money? Was it to avoid the CHL trap? Was it the belief that it would make him a better player than the CHL/NCAA options? Was it the cheese fondue?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Nikolay Goldobin was drafted by San Jose from the OHL and then played the next season in Sweden so it is possible

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think anyone can play in Europe regardless of CHL or NCAA participation. My comment concerned the rationale to play pro hockey in Europe vs the CHL. Has Matthews ever said why he chose that route? Was it to make more money? Was it to avoid the CHL trap? Was it the belief that it would make him a better player than the CHL/NCAA options? Was it the cheese fondue?

I can't remember if he said anything, but I know a few articles (or broadcasters) mentioned that it would be the best development decision for his path to the NHL. I can't remember the source (hell, it could have been on a discussion board for all I know), but I believe it was something along the lines of playing overseas would give him more experience playing against bigger and more experienced players (or "men") rather than younger developing players (or "boys").

I just figure he wanted to go to Europe and perhaps find himself a European hottie :laugh:

In addition, Switzerland is probably a more interesting location than where most of the Juniors teams are located and the better paycheck would be nice. In addition, I believe the European teams play fewer games than most of the junior teams (combined with higher pay sounds like the right choice to me).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He got to play in a professional men's league (pay, travel, training etc...). Most kids don't want to move overseas when they can get free college from the CHL and NCAA. That, plus most aren't good enough to immediately play a huge role for a euro club.

It was a lot like playing top tier NCAA hockey for Matthews, just without all the restrictions.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Yes, it's not one of those decisions that all potential prospects could make. "hmmm, should I go to college or play in Europe?" If that was the case, I'm sure more young players would be playing overseas. This seems more like an option for elite youngsters (of a certain age).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Price for the remainder of the OHL playoffs dropped to $49.99.

Has anyone subscribed? How's the quality?

Awesome.

Quality varies by rink. Erie is not a great experience but watching Strome worth it.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Dvorak got a powerplay goal. I didn't see who scored Erie's goal.

Edit: Dvorak just got the primary assist on Tkachuk's powerplay goal. Marner also got an assist on the play as well.

Edit 2: Dvorak just scored again, this time at even strength.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Dvorak got a powerplay goal. I didn't see who scored Erie's goal.

Edit: Dvorak just got the primary assist on Tkachuk's powerplay goal. Marner also got an assist on the play as well.

Edit 2: Dvorak just scored again, this time at even strength.

Bust.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Tkachuk, Dvorak, and Marner just teamed up for another goal. Dvorak with the primary assist.

Edit: Strome's shot just trickled under the goalie but was knocked away right before it could enter the goal. Erie scored in the ensuing mayhem, but I don't think Strome got a point on the goal.

Edit 2: I think Strome just got the primary assist when Debrincat scored on his rebound. My stream decided to skip right as Strome was taking his shot, so I didn't get to see a good replay of the goal.

Last edited:

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Dvorak finished with 2G + 3A (all primary assists) and was the first star of the game. The last assist was on Tkachuk's empty net goal to give him the hat trick.

I'm not sure exactly how many points Strome had. At least two from what I saw, maybe more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad