Prospect Info: Prospect Rankings

YPS ProspectScouting

Mar 8, 2013
This is a list of the Oilers top 10 prospects that are not currently playing on the NHL team. All players are under 25 and have the potential to make the jump in the next few years. Just to be clear this is a list of players who are NOT full time Oilers.

1. Oscar Klefbom, 19, Defence: Selected 19th in 2011, Klefbom is a clear choice for number 1. He's not known for putting the puck in the net however this 6 ft 3 prospect can hold it down defensively. Though an injury has sidelined him for this season he should bounce back and be a go to guy in OKC next year.

Projection: Top 4 Defenceman, 2 years.

2. Anton Lander, 21, Center: Yes, Lander has played a whole season with the Oil, however he did not start the season there which lands him in 2nd on this list. Lander has proved to be a guy who can both win faceoffs and be solid defensively. With his skill set and leadership, look for Lander to be a long time Edmonton Oiler.

Projection: 3rd line Center, Next year.

3. Tobias Rieder, 20, Right Wing: So far Rieder has put up 50 points in 49 games with Kitchener. After a great showing at the WJC, Rieder has gained a lot of attention around the hockey world. He is an excellent passer and has a lethal shot. Some have said he has the potential to be the greatest German to ever play the game. Only time will tell.

Projection: Take over Hemsky's role, 2-3 years.

4. Colten Teubert, 23, Defence: Teubert was a highly touted guy in his draft year but the hype around him has certainly dropped off. However, He posses one thing you can't teach. Size. At 6'4, Teubert has the potential to hold down a top 6 spot for years to come. The only thing he needs to work on is his defensive zone play. Once he masters this, he will be a full time Oiler.

Projection: 5-6th Defenceman, 1-2 years.

5. Daniil Zharkov, 19, Left Wing: 6 ft 4, 212 pounds... Seems like the kind of guy the Oil have needed for a few years now. Zharkov has put up 36 points in 54 games in Belleville this year. As we all know, Zharkov is very confident in his skill and has a tremendous work ethic. Look for him to be a top 9 forward that can do everything for your team.

Projection: 2nd or third line forward, 2 years.

6. David Musil, 19, Defence: Another 6 ft 4 defenceman, yet Musil brings offence into the mix. He can pretty much do anything for your team and do it well. He's great on the PK, and he is a punishing hitter. He doesn't jump in the rush but he can get the puck to you. An excellent first pass. Look for him to be playing with Klefbom next year.

Projection: 4th to 6th Defenceman, 2-4 years.

7. Toni Rajala, 21, Left Wing: After a great start in the ECHL (38 points in 29 games), Rajala has continued to put up good numbers in OKC. Rajala is a guy who has tremendous skill, but is going to have to prove himself to crack the squad in a few years. I believe he can be a top 5 scorer in the AHL next year, but he could be used as a trade asset. Great passer, great shot, has to prove himself.

Projection: 1st line OKC (next year), 3rd/4th line Edmonton (2-4 years).

8. Mark Arcobello, 24, Center: Arcobello can put up points. He's proved he's the number 1 guy in OKC, but he needs to improve his defensive skill if he wants to crack the squad.

Projection: 4th line, 1-2 years.

9. Frans Tuohimaa, 21, Goalie: Frans is currently the backup goalie in Jokerit of SM-Liga. He hasn't gotten a lot of attention from Oiler fans, and I'm sure I'll get some hate for not having Bunz or Roy ahead of him, but Tuohimaa has posted a .914 save percentage as well as a 2.24 GAA. He's 6'2 194 pounds and i can see him being a starter the future.

Projection: NHL backup, 3-5 years

10. Ryan Martindale, 21, Center: Ryan brings a nice two way style to OKC. He's solid in the dot and a pretty good defensive player. He's big (6'3, 207), and put up good numbers in Junior. If he can find his scoring touch he could potentially be a second line center in Edmonton.

Projection: 3rd line center, 2-4 years.

Honorable Mentions:

Travis Ewanyk
Tyler Bunz
Mitchell Moroz
Olivier Roy
Martin Marincin
Brandon Davidson

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Besides Klefbom, this is a very mediocre prospect pool. Which is a joke really, considering all the picks the Oilers have had in the past 3 years.

#FireStu

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Besides Klefbom, this is a very mediocre prospect pool. Which is a joke really, considering all the picks the Oilers have had in the past 3 years.

#FireStu

It's not a joke because our top prospects are graduating the year they get drafted.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

#FireStu

I'd have to agree in general.

Rieder is looking like the brightest among the forwards and is a 4th rounder.

Khaira is a darkhorse to be a top 6 player imo.

Klefbom looks solid... but we'll have to wait and see what he brings at the next level but he certainly has the potential to develop into a top 4 dman.

One of Marincin/Musil/Gernat could still develop into a top 4... still much too early to write off dmen of that age.

I agree though, it seems like the shine is off the prospect pool as a whole. Not long ago it was regarded as one of the top pools in the NHL... now I'd say it's middling at best.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe Curtis Hamilton, Pitlick and Martindale could see some NHL time and pull a Shattenkirk? Could light a fire or desire in them.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Marincin has gotta be ahead of a few of those guys imo. I have my doubts Teubert will ever be more than a callup.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
What about our goalies, OP has one projected to be a backup, what about bunz and roy
I know goalies are hard to project.
But i am curious where these guys are at i remember a year or two ago asking about bunz and people said he was still a few years away. Is Bunz still on track to become something? Roy?

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
It's not a joke because our top prospects are graduating the year they get drafted.

Big deal. Any moron could have picked Hall, Yak & RNH. Klefbom was an obvious pick at that spot as well, as he was clearly the best dman left.

Seriously, I doubt the average Oiler fan on HF would have done worse. At least we would know better then to pick Moroz at 32nd overall.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What about our goalies, OP has one projected to be a backup, what about bunz and roy
I know goalies are hard to project.
But i am curious where these guys are at i remember a year or two ago asking about bunz and people said he was still a few years away. Is Bunz still on track to become something? Roy?

Still a crapshoot. Roy is better right now, but Bunz has better potential. Neither are that great yet though

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I think there's some serious underrating of Klefbom. It certainly won't take him two years to be a top 4 on this club. I see top pairing potential in him. I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the league.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Still a crapshoot. Roy is better right now, but Bunz has better potential. Neither are that great yet though

Interesting, I hope one of them becomes something even if just for trade.
Thanks for filling me in, my prospect knowledge is terrible,

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Smiling at the Rieder comments... "Some have said he has the potential to be the greatest German to ever play the game. Only time will tell."

If Rieder can put up career numbers better than Dany Heatley (born in Germany)... I'd be pretty pleased with that for the Oilers. :)

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm starting to get a Lauri Korpikoski vibe from him.

He could end up being a versatile guy who can play any forward position on any line.

Exactly.

He has been a left handed RW but has doen very well in the middle. In fact, they moved him there when Faksa went down but he played well enough that after Faksa came back they kept him in the middle.

Defensively he is very sound. One of the best pk'er is the OHL. He is not going to throw many hits though so some will see him as not being appropriate for the bottom 6. I am not one of those.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm starting to get a Lauri Korpikoski vibe from him.

He could end up being a versatile guy who can play any forward position on any line.

I think he's got the potential to be a second line winger, but of he turns into a Korpi style player I'd still be really happy about that. He's one of the few recent picks that I'm happy with outside of the first rounders.

YPS ProspectScouting

Mar 8, 2013
Gernat and Marincin should be ahead of Tuebert.

After seeing the comments i agree Marincin should be higher, however I disagree with Gernat. I see him play almost every home game and he isn't what he used to be. last year I would agree that he should be ahead of Teubert, but he has lost his physicality. He's still a good player who may pan out but at the moment there's no chance he's in the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad