Prospect Info: Prospect Poll: NYR Prospect #11

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Respectfully I disagree with that. Cherepanov could have been a 1st or 2nd overall with this talent. He dropped to us at 17 because of the Russian factor. Thats a lot more than 6 spots for a potential ELITE, game breaking talent. Maybe not 100+ points Malkin talent, but certainly 70-80 point talent (IMO).

I think Buchenvich may have been a potential LATE first rounder early 2nd rounder. Its not like the kid was going to be a top 10 pick. Duclair IIRC was the one who was mentioned in the top 10 at one point.

Ovechkin and Malkin were supposed to go 1 & 2, and despite being Russian went 1 & 2. Cherry had some issues that would've prevented him from going 1 or 2 anyway. He was top 5/7, and dropped a dozen spots. Either way, it isn't two rounds. A team is better off getting a risky Russian than a second rounder, so a first round quality guy would never fall to the third round.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not a lot of love for Sam Noreau here. He's big, nasty and has been improving steadily. I figure after 2 AHL seasons he could end up in the mix for 5-6 D spot as he fills out that big frame so I voted for him.

I like Noreau and would very much like to see him on the Rangers one day but he's still a bit of a projection as a player. It's a question right now whether he'll be in the AHL this coming season. He may need some time in the ECHL. A comparison for me might be like a Matt Carkner who was somewhere around 26-27 before he finally made it and who is a bottom pairing guy now. I think Noreau can make it but I also think it's going to be a while and it might not be with the Rangers.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Voted Russian. I can see merit in chosing Yogan, but Talbot? If he's projected to be NHL back-up how do you compare that to forward or defenseman. IMHO it's similar to 4th line / 13th forward and 6/7 defenseman at best. Duclair? Keep in mind he's 3rd round pock without Russian factor.

Add Nicholls.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A Backup GK who starts 15-20 games is much more important than a 4th liner or 7th defenseman.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Its gotta be Yogan. Sounded like he used his size well in development camp. Could be in the NHL sooner rather than later. Buchnevich hasn't really proven anything and people are falling in love with him because he was a "1st round talent". Not saying that he's not, but he hasn't proved anything to me yet.

Add Andersson.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Goaltending is a weird market in the NHL right now.

First off, its hard to scout. Take a look at how many good goalies are undrafted or late picks. There are a lot.

Secondly, they don't have a lot of trade value for such an important position. Most teams have their starter on a big contract and can't add another. A lot of teams lock up who they think their starter is, then have to deal with his mediocrity and don't want to add another high priced goaltender with aspirations of replacing him because of the cumulative cap hit.

Thirdly, there are a ton of potential starting caliber goaltenders languishing out there right now. Guys like Bernier and Schneider finally got moved, but Anaheim still has 4 amazing goalies.

So it's an odd category. I will say I'm not worried about paying a backup 1.4 million vs 700k. But I like Cam Talbot's stuff.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Goaltending is a weird market in the NHL right now.

First off, its hard to scout. Take a look at how many good goalies are undrafted or late picks. There are a lot.

Secondly, they don't have a lot of trade value for such an important position. Most teams have their starter on a big contract and can't add another. A lot of teams lock up who they think their starter is, then have to deal with his mediocrity and don't want to add another high priced goaltender with aspirations of replacing him because of the cumulative cap hit.

Thirdly, there are a ton of potential starting caliber goaltenders languishing out there right now. Guys like Bernier and Schneider finally got moved, but Anaheim still has 4 amazing goalies.

So it's an odd category. I will say I'm not worried about paying a backup 1.4 million vs 700k. But I like Cam Talbot's stuff.

Definitely not worried about paying 1.4 vs 700k, but a year from now it'll be nice to have Talbot slide in there(the lower cap hit will just be a bonus.)

Im happy the Rangers didn't waste a higher pick this year for a goalie. They aren't really in dire need of a goalie and they have a few years to hopefully strike gold again at the bottom of the draft.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Not a lot of love for Sam Noreau here. He's big, nasty and has been improving steadily. I figure after 2 AHL seasons he could end up in the mix for 5-6 D spot as he fills out that big frame so I voted for him.
Agreed. Add Duclair.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Buch, add Duclair

Yogan reminds me of Bruce Graham, size and potential but just not good enough.

Buch has legit skills to get him to the bigs, he just needs to work on everything else to go along with it.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Duclair scored under a PPG in the Q in his draft year. Which is underwhelming. He also carries that "woulda coulda been a first rounder if/but" tag.

Don't see how he is such a slam dunk over Buchnevich.

He was injured and the pace didn't drop that much, went from playing his normal game to being more of a perimeter guy until the fear of getting re injured went away, then he started putting up points.

Yogan, add Duclair.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Buch, add Duclair

Yogan reminds me of Bruce Graham, size and potential but just not good enough.

Buch has legit skills to get him to the bigs, he just needs to work on everything else to go along with it.

Yogan has more skill than Graham and a better nose for the net. Graham was nothing other than huge. Yogan's final 25 or so AHL games was a better stretch than anything Graham ever did. I do see where you're coming from though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad