Prospect Info: Prospect Info and Discussion VIII - Future Canes and other Jurcos

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
selections for national teams don't bother me as much as they once did. once the realization really set in that it's not always about taking the best players and that politics are far more important than on-ice results, it was pretty easy to dismiss those type of snubs as irrelevant moving forward. it reminds me of when eric staal, albeit in a unique position, wasn't selected for his U20 despite being the 2nd overall pick. alex debrincat was scoring 50+ goals per season in the ohl when team usa passed on him in his 19 year old season so they could shoehorn some guys from the national development program onto the team. there's always some whiz kid coach that's trying to prove he has a unique formula for success in a ten game tournament to climb the ladder.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No Tieksola for the Finns either, not sure if that's really considered a snub
He's been playing Junior A, but was loaned for the weekend to a Mestis (adult 2nd tier) team of Hermes, a Karpat affiliate. Their last week statement on the loan said Tieksola is "competing for a spot in the U20 tourney", so those close to the team apparently didn't expect he'd definitely make it.

There's players on the roster like Ville Heinola, a D-man of WPG who returned to Finland for the season after some pretty damn convincing less than 10 games in NHL, who got nothing to prove in WJC and really should be playing Liiga games instead. Fin is apparently chasing for the trophy again.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jukurit didn't want to comment on Puistola, so there probably won't be further information coming today.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I hate to be that guy, but that’s the definition of skating around with your head down. The guy hitting him had to assume there would be more awareness than that, and it looks like it’s his shoulder not an elbow. Definitely a nasty collision but I don’t see that as head hunting. What did Puistola think that guy was going to do? Just let him skate by? I really hope he’s ok, and I’m sure everyone freaked out about the hit but I’d have a hard time vilifying that dude and to me that’s not at all like Matt Cooke.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I hate to be that guy, but that’s the definition of skating around with your head down. The guy hitting him had to assume there would be more awareness than that, and it looks like it’s his shoulder not an elbow. Definitely a nasty collision but I don’t see that as head hunting. What did Puistola think that guy was going to do? Just let him skate by? I really hope he’s ok, and I’m sure everyone freaked out about the hit but I’d have a hard time vilifying that dude and to me that’s not at all like Matt Cooke.

i had the exact same reaction. you have to be aware of that guy, but his teammate accidentally cut in front of him exactly where he would be looking for a forechecker coming around the net and he likely didn't even see him coming. it's hard to see guys when you're turning the net and the puck is at a dead stop. if this guy didn't run through him, he wouldn't have been doing his job. pp practically ran into him he was so unaware he was there. i can't see from the angle provided if there was any elbow contact or it was just straight shoulder to head. unfortunate hit for all parties, but practically unavoidable in this situation.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Mieho got 5+20 for it, for interference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad