Prospect Info: Prospect Info and Discussion VIII - Future Canes and other Jurcos

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So if we are going to use that metric didn't Zack Boychuck blow the doors of the AHL and then suck here?

So a guy who blew the doors off in the AHL didn’t make in the nhl is the reason why a guy who isn’t blowing the doors off should get a shot at the nhl. That’s some twisted logic. Actually, it isn’t logic at all.

I expect if they brought Goat up he'd at the very least provide some energy, create chaos at the front of the net and bang a lot of bodies, creating opportunities for others to score even if he didn't find the back of the net himself.
As Joe said, that’s what Foegele and McGinn do and they get crucified on here. Maybe, just maybe the coaches see a lot more and know a lot more than us schmucks on this board. It’s not like they aren’t promoting from within. McGinn, Wallmark, Necas, Foegele, Slavin, Pesce, and Fleury (and now Luostarinen) all started in the AHL, albeit Slavin and Pesce’s stints were short due to injuries and them playing so well.

I won’t mind at all if they call Goat up, but won’t moan about it if they don’t.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So a guy who blew the doors off in the AHL didn’t make in the nhl is the reason why a guy who isn’t blowing the doors off should get a shot at the nhl. That’s some twisted logic. Actually, it isn’t logic at all.

As Joe said, that’s what Foegele and McGinn do and they get crucified on here. Maybe, just maybe the coaches see a lot more and know a lot more than us schmucks on this board. It’s not like they aren’t promoting from within. McGinn, Wallmark, Necas, Foegele, Slavin, Pesce, and Fleury (and now Luostarinen) all started in the AHL, albeit Slavin and Pesce’s stints were short due to injuries and them playing so well.

I won’t mind at all if they call Goat up, but won’t moan about it if they don’t.

Look, we have to have something to moan about, this is the internet after all.

And I totally get the argument against him, but why not press box Foegele or McGinn and put the kid in and see if he catches fire and/or shakes things up. They seem to be stagnating and I fear if they lose tonight this could snowball into November of 2009.

And of course the coaches know more than us schmucks. Except when they signed Semin for 5 years. And signed Kaberele. And some other stuff. :)

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Look, we have to have something to moan about, this is the internet after all.

And I totally get the argument against him, but why not press box Foegele or McGinn and put the kid in and see if he catches fire and/or shakes things up. They seem to be stagnating and I fear if they lose tonight this could snowball into November of 2009.

So do something for the sake of doing something. Got it. Like I said, I have no problem if the call up Gauthier, but if they don't, I don't view it as such a miscarriage of justice like you seem to.

And of course the coaches know more than us schmucks. Except when they signed Semin for 5 years. And signed Kaberele. And some other stuff. :)

The coaches signed Semin and Kaberle? That's news to me. ;)

Reactions: DaveG and poobags

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington

Mock the Tomáš Kaberle signing all you want but JR did manage to get out of that one quite easily by taking back an expiring Jaroslav Špaček . I'd say the trade was more impressive than the signing was bad.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
pretty solid. He's arguably been Charlotte's best player and his first NHL game wasn't bad at all. Didn't get to catch the second game which... ok thank god I missed that one.
He looked pretty good in both games to my eye.

A couple of other "prospects" that seem to be doing okay:

Blake Murray is killing it. He's definitely got a scorer's mentality. Luke Henman is even playing better from what I can tell. Don't follow the BCHL much but Massimo Rizzo has apparently picked up his game and Cade Webber is playing solid defense for the Vees.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Waddell was at the Stormtrackers luncheon today. He talked about most of the prospects:

- Luostarinen looks like he fits in the NHL which is good to see
- Suzuki is regaining his vision in the damaged eye and it looks like the worst was avoided
- They think they have a future power forward in Rees
- He said Gauthier was one of the best players in the AHL. Also praise for Geekie and Bean.
- Kuokkanen may be the most skilled Checker but his game is slowing the puck down and he needs to buy into the Canes up tempo system
- Canes are really high on Bokk but he has similar hurdles to Kuokkanen (and I'd say by extension Saarela last year)
- Most interesting to me was that Kochetkov, after being traded from SKA, is pushing to come NA but there are some contract issues. They are high on him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Waddell was at the Stormtrackers luncheon today. He talked about most of the prospects:

- Suzuki is regaining his vision in the damaged eye and it looks like the worst was avoided
- He said Gauthier was one of the best players in the AHL. Also praise for Geekie and Bean.
- Kuokkanen may be the most skilled Checker but his game is slowing the puck down and he needs to buy into the Canes up tempo system
- Canes are really high on Bokk but he has similar hurdles to Kuokkanen (and I'd say by extension Saarela last year)
- Most interesting to me was that Kochetkov, after being traded from SKA, is pushing to come NA but there are some contract issues. They are high on him.
Always a big fan of what you share from these events. Very good info.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Do you mean by extension Saarlea that they will need to "adjust" to the Canes system? By all accounts, Saarela didn't seem to want to work on both ends of the ice and that put him in the dog house. Learning to play an up tempo style as opposed to slowing it down is a bit different.

TT is a fantastic role model for that IMO. TT can, and does play up tempo, but he is probably the best Cane at knowing when to slow it down and let the play develop. His play on Dougie's goal is a perfect example last night. Quickly turns up ice when there is a turnover in the neutral zone, gains entry but sees the defenseman has the position on him so rather than force a play by trying to drive the net, get around the D, or take it wide around the net, he slows it way down waiting for someone to come open and finds Dougie in a soft spot in essentially what was a 3 on 4.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Mock the Tomáš Kaberle signing all you want but JR did manage to get out of that one quite easily by taking back an expiring Jaroslav Špaček . I'd say the trade was more impressive than the signing was bad.

I'm not one of these people that believe that hockey players peak at 24 or 25. It may the case in terms of pure points on the board, but not about actually playing contending-caliber, two-way hockey. Despite what so many pundits say about the league trending younger, all of the best postseason teams over the last few years are still veteran squads at heart with a jolt of youth here and there where it's necessary. You're starting to see Carolina trending this way now that they have a contending core in place. Teams with lots of ELCs on their bottom pairings and lines generally peter out after the 1st round of the playoffs, if they even make it there. Contending teams do what Carolina has been doing recently, which is injecting youth slowly and in sheltered minutes until proven ready.

JR with money and stable ownership looks a lot more like Pittsburgh today than the dark final days of his Carolina tenure. Yes, he sometimes makes questionable signings. Yes, he has those rare occasions where he appears to not know what the f*** he is doing half of the time. At the same time, however, his moves keep that team competitive long-term and their bottom-6 guys are full of vets that know what playing two-way hockey looks like rather than raw, hot-shot ELC guys who the HFers drool about, who may be good in 2-3 years but are hot garbage right now. Toronto fans and Kyle Dubas are both learning this the hard way.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Do you mean by extension Saarlea that they will need to "adjust" to the Canes system? By all accounts, Saarela didn't seem to want to work on both ends of the ice and that put him in the dog house. Learning to play an up tempo style as opposed to slowing it down is a bit different.

TT is a fantastic role model for that IMO. TT can, and does play up tempo, but he is probably the best Cane at knowing when to slow it down and let the play develop. His play on Dougie's goal is a perfect example last night. Quickly turns up ice when there is a turnover in the neutral zone, gains entry but sees the defenseman has the position on him so rather than force a play by trying to drive the net, get around the D, or take it wide around the net, he slows it way down waiting for someone to come open and finds Dougie in a soft spot in essentially what was a 3 on 4.
I was exactly going to say that TT slows the play down all the time, so I don’t know what DW means. That’s what skill players do, they slow the play down. Dzingle slows the play down more than they expected I bet, as they probably want him to be a slasher through the passing lanes who can finish. Necas tries to all the time, for better or for often worse. Haula is what they expected I’m sure in that he doesn’t. Williams slowed it down as much as he could. I agree these guys know when to do it, but generally when to do it is anytime you can do it. Preferably not in the neutral zone is likely what Rod prefers. TT used to do that constantly and sometimes still does, the euro style neutral zone regroup when he could push forward.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

It's my own interjection that prospects like Saarela, Kuokkanen, and Bokk (from what very little I've seen) appear to play a more of a classic skill game where they hold onto the puck and let the play develop around them. Whereas the Canes play a more aggressive game where everyone gets involved and creating chaos through tempo produces most of the goals. Waddell used the term "commitment" to describe what Kuokkanen and Bokk needed to focus on improving. I read that as "commitment to playing the way that benefits the team rather than yourself."

I agree that TT is a great example of a player who adapted his own "slow it down" skill moments into Rod's system.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The contract issue being that he's signed in KHL until 20/21 (according to eliteprospects). There's no transfer agreement between NHL/KHL, so he would need to be released of his KHL contract. NHL and KHL apparently unofficially "honor" each other's contracts and shy away signing contractual defectors.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
And even so, they did it slowly, keeping them in sheltered minutes until they proved that they were ready for more. The worst thing that you can do for guys that weren't NHL-ready at 18 is to rush them into roles that they can't handle. That's asking to turn into Edmonton.

.....or Jim Rutherford's treatment of one Elias Lindholm...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Finally Puistola gets an actual chance to show what he is capable of.

That's good news. We no longer seem to have the depth we had a season or two ago, for a variety of reasons. We need the next generation to have some at least AHL level legit prospects in it. People were all over the map on this guy, I didnt like drafting off the Pronman list. This guys has the skill no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad