Prospect and Marlies Thread: Post Season / Off Season

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dynamo Moscow has officially released all of its player, including those on two-way contacts. What's next for our 2016 7th rounder, Nikolai Chebykin?

KHL probably, but I am sure management will make that decision after they take a look at him in rookie camp in a couple of days.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
top line in the ECHL? dubas did want some prospects to go through there

Doubt it when he could get better in the KHL or elsewhere in Europe.

Korostelev maybe, if he wants it. Potentially Walker, Cameranesi and Piccinich as well. Guys like that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Doubt it when he could get better in the KHL or elsewhere in Europe.

Korostelev maybe, if he wants it. Potentially Walker, Cameranesi and Piccinich as well. Guys like that.

yeah. He would be a good fit on the marlies but I cant see him bumping anyone, it would be nice for some more size on the marlies

edit Chebykin must of had a decent growth in height at some point. Hockey DB lists him at 6', EliteProspects 6'3" and his Wikipedia page says 6'4"

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
yeah. He would be a good fit on the marlies but I cant see him bumping anyone, it would be nice for some more size on the marlies

edit Chebykin must of had a decent growth in height at some point. Hockey DB lists him at 6', EliteProspects 6'3" and his Wikipedia page says 6'4"

Mueller and Greening add some size/grit. Lindberg should be in there. It is going to be a small team, but Chebykin is not really super physical for his body type if I remember correctly.

I do not think he was ever that small...

I think he was always 6'2" or 6'3". He may have grown a bit, but he never was that small when we drafted him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mueller and Greening add some size/grit. Lindberg should be in there. It is going to be a small team, but Chebykin is not really super physical for his body type if I remember correctly.

I do not think he was ever that small...

I think he was always 6'2" or 6'3". He may have grown a bit, but he never was that small when we drafted him.

oh ok, hockeyDB must have juts messed up then. I meant it would be nice to have a prospect with size on the marlies Greening and Mueller aren't prospects but they do add size needed there

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
oh ok, hockeyDB must have juts messed up then. I meant it would be nice to have a prospect with size on the marlies Greening and Mueller aren't prospects but they do add size needed there

Lindberg is the only one right now.

Marlies were not a big team last year either. It was apparent at times last year, but only when the team was seriously underperforming.

The Marlies need to move bodies out if they want more forwards right now. So I doubt you will see the Leafs add more than depth guys with size if anything.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Marlies were not a big team last year either. It was apparent at times last year, but only when the team was seriously underperforming.

The Marlies need to move bodies out if they want more forwards right now. So I doubt you will see the Leafs add more than depth guys with size if anything.

we are seeing the issue with drafting all these wingers right now. The leafs AND marlies really need to trade some players, if we don't move someone from the leafs (JVR) the likely souloution is Kapanen back to the marlies and that pushes another winger out of the marlies, likely a prospect. Kapanen earned an NHL spot so if babcock is true to his word he will be on the leafs though

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/bourne-kapanen-ready-to-make-nhl-impact-1.796842

Nice little interview with the marlies former video coach, Justin Bourne. Talks about Kapanen's and Dermott's past season and going forward into next season.

Seems like chances Kappy starts with the Marlies in October is about 1-5%.

Bourne was saying he was days from being promoted before he got injured, he says that was actually the plan all along. Bring him up half way through the season if he was playing well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seems like chances Kappy starts with the Marlies in October is about 1-5%.

Bourne was saying he was days from being promoted before he got injured, he says that was actually the plan all along. Bring him up half way through the season if he was playing well.

damn, **** you dotchin (who got resigned by tampa today indecently). SO if kappy stays with the leafs someone HAS to go, he was the only one that can be sent down without waivers. I think he earned a NHL spot last season, and a chance further up the lineup too but I guess 4th line RW is about as high as he can climb unless legit 4th liners playing with 1st liners get put in their rightful place. Im looking at you hyman.

Kapanen could swap with hyman when you think about it, he showed that hustle that hyman does he is good defensively but also adds wayyyy more skill than hyman
Kap-matthews-nylander would be a killer line

Edit: * I meant incidentally but indecently also works for dotchin

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Why didn't Lindberg play in the playoffs, Injure or benched.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He was injured for a lot of the 2nd half of the season.

I believe his injury kept him out of the playoffs, but don't hold me to that.

Injured there too. He had surgery on some part of his body. I can not remember where. I hope it's not too bad, because he's our most skilled big guy. He would be excellent on any line with our small guys because he is just so well rounded and is able to play any role you ask of him.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Bourne also says he thinks Dermott makes the team out of camp. That'd be awesome. Need an upgrade to our bottom pairing and he has the potential to be that. Pair em with Hainsey and be done with it. Stick to last years final pairings (Gardiner-Zaitsev heavy lifting, Rielly-Carrick/Marincin second pairing).

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Bourne also says he thinks Dermott makes the team out of camp. That'd be awesome. Need an upgrade to our bottom pairing and he has the potential to be that. Pair em with Hainsey and be done with it. Stick to last year's final pairings (Gardiner-Zaitsev heavy lifting, Rielly-Carrick/Marincin second pairing).

Expect Gardiner to be in his normal second pairing slot next season, he is still a disaster defensively under pressure. He still can't play against top lines or PK.

Rielly ~ Zaitsev
Gardiner ~ Hainsey

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Bourne also says he thinks Dermott makes the team out of camp. That'd be awesome. Need an upgrade to our bottom pairing and he has the potential to be that. Pair em with Hainsey and be done with it. Stick to last years final pairings (Gardiner-Zaitsev heavy lifting, Rielly-Carrick/Marincin second pairing).

Was interesting hearing him say that some of the higher ups within the organization said hes the best 20 year old defensemen in the american league.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Was interesting hearing him say that some of the higher ups within the organization said hes the best 20 year old defensemen in the american league.

They are discussing exactly what I said about Gardiner on Overdrive lol

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I am thinking we found JVR replacement :nod:

Aaltonen has very little chance IMO. We have so many wingers already, and wingers that have earned a shot. Kapanen earned a NHL spot. Leivo i think deserves an extended chance and needs waivers. Rychel needs waivers and perfromed really well toward the end of the AHL season. Aaltonen can start in the AHL and with the logjam on the leafs cant see him making it, and forcing us to lose a prospect

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Aaltonen has very little chance IMO. We have so many wingers already, and wingers that have earned a shot. Kapanen earned an NHL spot. Leivo i think deserves an extended chance and needs waivers. Rychel needs waivers and performed really well toward the end of the AHL season. Aaltonen can start in the AHL and with the logjam on the Leafs can't see him making it, and be forcing us to lose a prospect

Leivo, Rychel are pretty much done as Leafs, Sosh is Lupul. Kapanen needs to start the season on the 4th line, my opinion. :)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Leivo, Rychel are pretty much done as Leafs, Sosh is Lupul. Kapanen needs to start the season on the 4th line, my opinion. :)

Pretty bold predictions, especially since you are undercutting a lot of good young players the Leafs have.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

whether they are done or not. Aaltonen can be sent to the marlies and as of right now will be, Kapanen needs to be higher up the lineup but as of right now 4th line looks like his only possible spot. Sosh I think is done

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Pretty bold predictions, especially since you are undercutting a lot of good young players the Leafs have.

I see a big opportunity for Aaltonen and/or Johnsson.

• I believe Rychel is going to waived.
  • Leivo couldn't win a spot last season with less competition, will ask for a trade.
  • Sosh gets hurt too often.
  • Kapanen I don't think is ready to play full-time on one of the 3 big lines.

Im just babbling to pass the time, also :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00