Prospect and Marlies Thread: Post Season / Off Season

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
interestingly enough, there are some dmen who turned into elite NHL'ers including offensively whose AHL performances in their D+2/D+3 years look a lot like Dermott's - Duncan Keith comes to mind. Fun to think about, even if it's a very long shot
You know it doesn't take much for me to get excited about Dermott?
He has always impressed me and imo had and outstanding rookie year as a pro. I see no reason to think he won't make the jump and be exellent in the nhl sooner rather than later.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
From my viewing of Dermott this year, he always looked like a stud. What i mean by that is simply that a lot of players come and go through the Marlies, and we get to see a bunch have NHL careers ... but when there's a player who is that much better ... it sticks out. Obviously his injury damped the ability to get a long read on him this year, but more particularly in the last couple of months we have.

With respect to all the other very good players, he's not Valiev or Percy or Granberg or Loov or whoever. You just look at him on the ice out there and it's obvious he's on a different level.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ good to hear. Dermott could be prime for that third pairing LHD spot. In which case the Leafs would just need to solidify the right side in some way.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Dermott should take that 3 LD spot.

I didn't realize how huge he was. Seems like a real good player.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Love hearing that about Dermott.

With regards to the above post about Grundstrom practicing with the Marlies - can he get into a game?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I could see them talking about Justin Holl to be honest.

Dermott plays every situation for them (Holl doesn't see PP) and is playing top pair as a 20 year old.

Holl has shown a few offensive flashes lately, but Dermott is the man down there right now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Dermott plays every situation for them (Holl doesn't see PP) and is playing top pair as a 20 year old.

Holl has shown a few offensive flashes lately, but Dermott is the man down there right now.

Holl is a RHD though, which could be a polak replacement. I doubt they use 2 rookies on the 3rd pair so it may come down to the 3rd pair vet they sign and if they cant add a top4 RHD. SO if they cant add top4 RHD carrick will need to move up to #4 and then Holl will slot in at 3rd pair RHD but if they can fill that spot sign a vet RHD and dermott makes the team

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Holl is a RHD though, which could be a polak replacement. I doubt they use 2 rookies on the 3rd pair so it may come down to the 3rd pair vet they sign and if they cant add a top4 RHD. SO if they cant add top4 RHD carrick will need to move up to #4 and then Holl will slot in at 3rd pair RHD but if they can fill that spot sign a vet RHD and dermott makes the team

I'm pretty sure mgmt has a pretty good idea who/what they have in Holl. Even if he is in the mix for 6th/7th spot next year, they know what he's capable of.

Dermott being 20, playing in all situations, playing on the top pair, and about to play against a pretty stacked AHL lineup, this is a great chance to really see what they have in this kid, perfect time for him to prove himself even further and establish himself as a legit contender for the team next year. Keefe said the other day Dermott is the best 20yo dman in the AHL.

They are checking out these games to get a closer look at our future top 4, maybe even top pair (fingers crossed) dman in a situation that will be closest possible comparable to NHL hockey.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

RND-4-IF-SEATTLE-1024x576.jpg

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I like holl too but I agree with what Barilko14 has to say about Dermott.
About the LH RH thing, Babcock has shown he will go away from it if that'd what ices the best top 6 and as for not starting 2 rookies in the bottom pair; first they will both be over 21 so they aren't kids and second they played 6 rookies regularly all season so why not 2 rookie D? I know it's a tougher position but who's to say no? 6 rookies is pretty unheard of so why not?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
“I felt I was more offensively gifted than I was defensively coming into this year,†said Dermott. “I needed to focus more on my defensive side. I think I’ve done that.â€

Dermott is not particularly tall for a defenceman, about five-foot-11. But he’s incredibly thick, a muscular 215 pounds.

“He frankly has been pretty consistent for us,†Keefe said. “An injury set him back, but early in the season he was playing really well, and he’s back to playing that way now. He’s reliable and consistent, and moves the puck extremely well.

“We don’t spend a lot of time in our end when he’s out there. That’s been a real strength.â€
the bolded sounds 100% babcock player

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like holl too but I agree with what Barilko14 has to say about Dermott.
About the LH RH thing, Babcock has shown he will go away from it if that'd what ices the best top 6 and as for not starting 2 rookies in the bottom pair; first they will both be over 21 so they aren't kids and second they played 6 rookies regularly all season so why not 2 rookie D? I know it's a tougher position but who's to say no? 6 rookies is pretty unheard of so why not?

I was just playing devils advocate, agreeing with another poster is COULD have been holl lamariello was talking about.

I know all about dermott and how good he is and the tweet is likely talking about dermott. I want Dermott to make the team next year over any other option, I bet he forces babcock to put him in the top4 by mid point of the season he is really good

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I was just playing devils advocate, agreeing with another poster is COULD have been holl lamariello was talking about.

I know all about dermott and how good he is and the tweet is likely talking about dermott. I want Dermott to make the team next year over any other option, I bet he forces babcock to put him in the top4 by mid point of the season he is really good

Gotcha!!

And agreed about the top 4 by midseason too.

That said holl is quite the surprise. 1 more year to show some consistency and he should get a shot too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I could see them talking about Justin Holl to be honest.

Dermott is more likely to make the Leafs. The Leafs do have Marincin (and possibly Rosen) on the left side, but Rosen is new to North American ice and Marincin is likely to be taken in expansion. On the right side you have Carrick and Marchenko for the bottom pairing. Both are very good quality for that spot, so it's harder for Holl.

With the Marlies signing Smith, he will likely be the Marlies NHL contract forward vet. Holl will likely be one of the NHL contract defensive vets, along with either Campbell or Oleksy. Holl may get a call up, but Carrick and Marchenko are better right now.

Rielly-???
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rosen/Dermott-Carrick
Marchenko

Rosen/Dermott-Holl
Valiev-Campbell/Oleksy
Nielsen-Lindgren
Desrocher

That's how I see it with Marincin taken in expansion. One note; Valiev would play RD if we bring back Campbell (that was the original set up). He'd play LD if we bring back Oleksy. I see it far more likely the Leafs bring back Campbell simply because he was the captain and the only way Valiev would ever make the Leafs is if he plays RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad