Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Korshkov and Grundstrom as the wingers on a grind line is lethal. Physicality, board play, skating, and some solid offensive instincts. Those two would make a line that Babs fawns over.

hyman is listed as a C :naughty:
Grundstrom-Hyman-Korshkov, babcock will be falling over himself with pure joy

alas, i think Hyman is listed as C is a mistake. if he did it would have been pre NCAA

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I think both Grundstrom and Korshkov have shots at making the big club next year. Both guys have had some time developing and playing pro hockey, it'll be huge news if they're both in Toronto next year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
At this day and age, the '2nd best league in the world talent' is concentrated heavily in exactly 2 teams that are able/allowed to ignore the KHL salary limits. As such, most of the competition is AHL level at best (hence the profusion of AHL level hasbeens having pretty good careers over there). It really hard to judge how good a Russian player is anymore without seeing what they can do over here. For instance, Aaltonen has been about as effective on the Marlies as he was in the KHL, and has had to steadily improved over his year on the Marlies in order to match his performance last year in the KHL. Korshkov is going to have to do a lot better than his numbers have been over the last couple years if he's going to make the Leafs by this time next year. Engvall is scoring a point a game right now on the Marlies, so we already know how he can handle AHL level competition, which is pretty well so far. If Korshkov can do the same, damn I'll be happy.
While I agree in part with what you're saying, "has been" like K and K would flat out dominate the ahl too where as they are just good players there.
Korshkov and engvall are fairly comparable as prospect for their paths taken to get to this point. I would say that K's style of game is more suited to NHL hockey and more what Lou and Babcock are looking for.
I also believe I said in my first post that korshkov has to prove it here but I believe he will due to the way he played.
Engvall has been here before me did not look good as good then as he did now and korshkov has no sample size so we will have to wait until he comes across to properly judge.
If they both work out that would be amazing but if they do I still see korshkov in over engvall, if they were fighting for the only spot, due to plying style.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I could see the Leafs giving Aaltonen every chance to win the 3C spot out of camp. Realistically we should be doing everything in our power to not separate Nylander-Matthews at this point.

Reactions: saltming

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think both Grundstrom and Korshkov have shots at making the big club next year. Both guys have had some time developing and playing pro hockey, it'll be huge news if they're both in Toronto next year.

Grundstrom has the far better chance. He's played in NA in the Marlies and Pre-Season, and will hopefully be part of a long Marlies playoff run this year. Korshkov, like Aaltonen, will need time to adapt to the NA game, but will likely be up on the leafs by this time next year if he progresses like Johnsson has and there are injuries.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If they both work out that would be amazing but if they do I still see korshkov in over engvall, if they were fighting for the only spot, due to plying style.

It really depends how they are developed and whom they are replacing. In 2019 we will be probably looking at someone to replace Marleau. Could be either of these guys. If I said at this time last year that Johnsson would be eyed a the de facto Komarov replacement for 2018-2019, people here would have laughed me out of the room. And yet, look at what's happened.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It really depends how they are developed and whom they are replacing. In 2019 we will be probably looking at someone to replace Marleau. Could be either of these guys. If I said at this time last year that Johnsson would be eyed a the de facto Komarov replacement for 2018-2019, people here would have laughed me out of the room. And yet, look at what's happened.
A lot of people slept on Johnsson but I think a lot started to see his potential last year. I still don't see him as a komarov replacement but rather an improvement. And hopefully during the next few years we can use elc contracts as improvements as we keep chugging along.
Again my only reasoning on korshkov over engvall is playing style with all things being equal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I could see the Leafs giving Aaltonen every chance to win the 3C spot out of camp. Realistically we should be doing everything in our power to not separate Nylander-Matthews at this point.

I don't know, he could have some stiff competition for the job in Tavares :sarcasm:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't know, he could have some stiff competition for the job in Tavares :sarcasm:

True I always forget about the written in stone 2019-20 lineup:

Seguin - Matthews - Willy
Skinner - Tavares - Marner
Duchene - Kadri - Wheeler
Hyman (duh) - Duchene - Kapanen

Rielly - Doughty
Gardiner - Karlsson
Dermott - McDonagh

Andersen
Bobrovsky

Of course everyone except Hyman is taking hometown discounts. Good thing we've locked him in for now.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

I think there's a strong case to move Nylander to Center, considering the dearth of speedy centers available as affordable UFAs going forwards. I'd really like to see Toronto adopt a 3a/3b line setup to truly mess with any opposing coaches trying to figure out who they can risk throwing a 4th line against us. Aaltonnen and Nylander anchoring 2 high energy lines with 2-way players on their wings would be a nightmare to match against.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
True I always forget about the written in stone 2019-20 lineup:

Seguin - Matthews - Willy
Skinner - Tavares - Marner
Duchene - Kadri - Wheeler
Hyman (duh) - Duchene - Kapanen

Rielly - Doughty
Gardiner - Karlsson
Dermott - McDonagh

Andersen
Bobrovsky

Of course everyone except Hyman is taking hometown discounts. Good thing we've locked him in for now.
This is so far fetched! Completely unbelievable!! I don't believe you posted such trash!!!
NO WAY DUCHENE PLAYS ON TWO LINES!!!!!!
:biglaugh:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think there's a strong case to move Nylander to Center, considering the dearth of speedy centers available as affordable UFAs going forwards. I'd really like to see Toronto adopt a 3a/3b line setup to truly mess with any opposing coaches trying to figure out who they can risk throwing a 4th line against us. Aaltonnen and Nylander anchoring 2 high energy lines with 2-way players on their wings would be a nightmare to match against.

Matthews with Nylander is one of the most elite players in the league. Matthews without Nylander is a good 1C.

I know for a fact Nylander could be a 1C as soon as next season, but with all our depth you should keep him beside Matthews the next 15 years.

Reactions: saltming

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Practice lines.

Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Moore Timashov-Mueller-Smith
Engvall-Gauthier-Baun/Greening Marchment/Clune-Brooks-Bracco

Rosen-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Borgman-LoVerde
Nielsen-Lindgren

Grundstorm put right onto the top line.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Practice lines.

Rosen-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Borgman-LoVerde
Nielsen-Lindgren

Oh I wish I had the Marlies feed for the playoffs!
I'm sure grunny will plug right in and be his usual wrecking ball self.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Matthews with Nylander is one of the most elite players in the league. Matthews without Nylander is a good 1C.

I know for a fact Nylander could be a 1C as soon as next season, but with all our depth you should keep him beside Matthews the next 15 years.
Completely agree and I really really want Nylander to play C

That said, if Marner can move up and bring the same element to the Matthews line I'm open for discussion
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Grundstrom Nylander Kapanen
:eek:

Reactions: Morgs

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Have you guys been watching Nicolas Mattinen much? I don't get to a lot, and I was wondering how he was playing, outside of stat watching and online articles..

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Practice lines.

Rosen-Holl
Marincin-Liljegren
Borgman-LoVerde
Nielsen-Lindgren

A pretty good indication on how they feel about Grundstrom I'd say, it's not exactly undeserved either

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Completely agree and I really really want Nylander to play C

That said, if Marner can move up and bring the same element to the Matthews line I'm open for discussion
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Kadri Johnsson
Grundstrom Nylander Kapanen
:eek:

Given the uptick we got with Hyman on the Right and Johnsson on the left (as well as with Johnsson on the PP with Matthews). Johnsson has been displaying that Marner element on both ES and PP with Hyman seeming more comfortable on his natural side. I'd think:

Johnsson Mathews Hyman

Would make the most of all three.

Add

Leivo Aaltonen Brown

and you've got a 1A/1B along with a 3A/3b pair of combos that no opposing coach will want to have to try to match up with.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Given the uptick we got with Hyman on the Right and Johnsson on the left (as well as with Johnsson on the PP with Matthews). Johnsson has been displaying that Marner element on both ES and PP with Hyman seeming more comfortable on his natural side. I'd think:

Johnsson Mathews Hyman

Would make the most of all three.

Add

Leivo Aaltonen Brown

and you've got a 1A/1B along with a 3A/3b pair of combos that no opposing coach will want to have to try to match up with.
Agreed on the hyman wing switch if we are putting Johnsson there but if we are talking about replacing Nylander with Marner then I think hyman stays on the left side.

And we have already discussed my feeing on leivo but that would be a good 4th line but better with someone more fleet of foot than josh

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
MAybe but those were some stacked lines hah

But seriously when hyman hits that 50 point mark he might be glued to AM even in that line up :sarcasm:

huge chance this year couldn't pull it off though. Nylander "only" got 49 even strength points this season, and Matthews himself got exactly 50. Hyman really needs those 2 to step up their games for him to get 10 more points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad