Prospect Info: Prospect #10 Runoff!

Wallinder vs Viro, who is our 10th best prospect?

• Eemil Viro

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • William Wallinder

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As he should...he's a top pair in the Liga and Wallinder isn't even on the big club for the SHL, yet.
I don't understand why Wallinder got so many votes to begin with. I've got Sebrango over Wallinder, Wallinder could very well bust.

At least I can understand why people have Viro over Sebrango.

Reactions: r0bert8841

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wallinder is worse prospect we ever draft under Yzerman, almost first round pick

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No reason to think why Viro is better.

Can't understand these poll results.

I'll raise this up after 5 years and show how majority was wrong.

Reactions: lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't understand why Wallinder got so many votes to begin with. I've got Sebrango over Wallinder, Wallinder could very well bust.

At least I can understand why people have Viro over Sebrango.

give me the guy with a higher chance of busting any day over the guy that will never be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy even if he doesn't

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
give me the guy with a higher chance of busting any day over the guy that will never be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy even if he doesn't
It's not like Viro, Wallinder, or Sebrango are putting up tons of points in their respective leagues. None of them are the next Cale Makar, so I'll easily go with the one most likely to make the NHL.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's not like Viro, Wallinder, or Sebrango are putting up tons of points in their respective leagues. None of them are the next Cale Makar, so I'll easily go with the one most likely to make the NHL.

he does have the tools to realistically be a 2nd pairing guy if he does hit though

it's all about how you value things, personally I view 4th line/3rd pairing guys as essentially worthless outcomes with how cheap and plentiful they are

like if I made a value scale where a 1st pairing would be worth 100 points then a 2nd pairing guy would be like maybe 30 and a 3rd pairing guy would be like.....1

so likelihood of hitting the NHL in and of itself really doesn't do much for me at all until you get up to a Seider kinda level where the floor is probably a 2nd pairing guy

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
he does have the tools to realistically be a 2nd pairing guy if he does hit though

it's all about how you value things, personally I view 4th line/3rd pairing guys as essentially worthless outcomes with how cheap and plentiful they are

like if I made a value scale where a 1st pairing would be worth 100 points then a 2nd pairing guy would be like maybe 30 and a 3rd pairing guy would be like.....1

so likelihood of hitting the NHL in and of itself really doesn't do much for me at all until you get up to a Seider kinda level where the floor is probably a 2nd pairing guy
....but like you said at the beginning, Sebrango has the tools to be 2nd pair. He skates well, and can shoot. He just doesn't do it enough.

I think he's mentally a low event player, which means he's in the right organization to be top pair, lol. Seriously though, I think he could wind up logging lots of minutes for an NHL team just because the coach trusts him. He's already gotten lots of compliments from GR staff.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wallinder has more upside, but we're getting to the point where we should be seeing *some* improvement...

That's exactly it. Wallinder did not really improve much over the course of his draft year. It's also worrisome that he is not a regular on Rogle's main roster in his D+2.

Viro's improvement has been steadily climbing since we drafted him. And I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to become a good, reliable bottom pairing guy. Those guys do have pretty high value.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was mentioned that Viro is playing at Top pair.

That doesn't mean anything, is just the order how guys are jumping on the ice.

He has had 4th most Ice-time in 2 games, but 1st D Lajunen is injured. After Lajunen returns, Viro will drop to 3rd pair minutes.

TOT_icetime
------------------
Eronen 22:48
Rafkin 20:24
Anttalainen 19:24
Viro 19:00
Arell 16:25
Suomi 15:58

Viro's Corsi is horrible, only 29% and worst on the team. He is really used over his head.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i see wallinder and my thought is the guy needs huge amounts of off ice training to improve coordination / athleticism

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Yep. I get the "upside" argument, but only when we're talking about top prospects. Wallinder is not a top prospect. Guys like Wallinder, when they don't show post-draft improvement, are wholly uninteresting to me. They are home run swings that quickly fizzle out.

People like to say that bottom-of-the-lineup guys are dime a dozen, and I kinda get that, but I also think that is too simplistic. Guys who are good in their roles, whether that be first line or third pair, or anything in between, are not necessarily dime a dozen. If you can develop a sturdy and steady player like Sebrango to be 2nd-pair quality playing on your 3rd pair, you've developed some real solid value that matters when it comes to constructing a competitive roster. When guys like that reach free agency, they look to get paid and look for that bigger role, so finding that value in free agency is not as easy as I think a lot of people want to believe.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Soooo, for you Viro fans (@OgeeOgelthorpe), you're welcome. With a couple hours left in the #10 poll I noticed Viro was behind Wallinder 30-29. So I changed my vote from Sebrango to Viro to trigger the run-off. I'm not even very high on Viro, but Wallinder beating him out would have been pretty silly :D

Reactions: jfrank21

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yep. I get the "upside" argument, but only when we're talking about top prospects. Wallinder is not a top prospect. Guys like Wallinder, when they don't show post-draft improvement, are wholly uninteresting to me. They are home run swings that quickly fizzle out.

People like to say that bottom-of-the-lineup guys are dime a dozen, and I kinda get that, but I also think that is too simplistic. Guys who are good in their roles, whether that be first line or third pair, or anything in between, are not necessarily dime a dozen. If you can develop a sturdy and steady player like Sebrango to be 2nd-pair quality playing on your 3rd pair, you've developed some real solid value that matters when it comes to constructing a competitive roster. When guys like that reach free agency, they look to get paid and look for that bigger role, so finding that value in free agency is not as easy as I think a lot of people want to believe.

"bottom pairing guys aren't as easy to find if they are 2nd pairing guys"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad