Speculation: Prospal's play and the gentleman's agreement

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
For most this isn't just about this year, it's beyond with a bigger role in the organization. If that isn't a priority or even an interest for our front office than just cut him loose already.

I think that Jarmo is trying to send him that message. Is it the best way to convey it, probably not, a little too cagey for me, but I think that if Vinny hasn't gotten any offers, it's probably indicative of how teams feel he fits on a club. I just don't think that Vinny fits with the Jacket's style of play anymore. He isn't fast, he doesn't play physical and he's 39. Add all that up, it makes sense as to why he's not going to be back.

I like how Jarmo has handled the offseason, very methodical and just gets the job done with none of the histrionics of Sideshow MacLean. He set his plan and I think he's executed that plan. His moves have kept the positive momentum from the end of the season going.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I just don't think that Vinny fits with the Jacket's style of play anymore.

Why are we still talking about his play this year when it's his future within the org after his playing days that is the most in question. I'm already over him not playing on the team, they've already made it quite apparent they don't consider him a priority.

I personally think the whole style thing and age are a bunch or crap, teams bring on aging veterans as stop gaps all the time.

There are a bunch of reasons for this situation to exist, no reason to go more into them.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 9m

#CBJ have not stated it so bluntly, but seems unlikely - at this point - that RW Vinny Prospal will be back next season.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 9m

Reached via email, Prospal declined to comment beyond saying he didn't know what to say.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 8m

Club's position makes sense. Lots of guys pushing for more ice time, not a lot of cushion under the salary cap if Prospal makes his $2M.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 7m

At this point, Prospal is the only #NHL player who led his team in scoring last year AND isn't under contract to return.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Now that I have a job in which I am posted up in front of a computer for 9 hours a day, I'm sure I'll be racking up my post count finally, even though I already lurk the boards every day....

With that being said, I guess I can't hate Jarmo for what he's doing, as I take a very similar approach when dealing with a break-up. Just switch the names of Jarmo and myself, and VP with the girl. Just kind of ignore them and hope the problem takes care of itself... However it usually backfires when you realize later how much you really miss them, and how much of a jerk you were. (which I believe will happen with Vinny)

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I'm a bit skeptical of this, but I also think Vinny hates the style of hockey NJ plays..

Perhaps, but Vinny does love pointing at scoreboards. Think how many times he'd get to do that with a goalie like Marty behind him!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Interesting comment from Arace, this morning (sorry, no link, it's behind the pay wall):

"Howson rewarded Prospal with a one-year contract just before the 2012 trade deadline. At the time, Howson said Prospal would have a job in the front office upon retirement. If this 'gentlemen's agreement' was not a violation of the league's collective bargaining agreement, it was close."

Anyone know what provision of the CBA Arace might think this would violate?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
So? Prospal played like he was closer to 30 than 40. That is what is most important.

Time can only be held back so long, 39 is not 30. It appears that the FO is not convinced that Vinnie can squeeze out another year like last. And if he can't, they seem to think that his intangibles do not outweigh the time he would take from younger players seen as the team's future. You disagree, I understand. I'm not in a position to judge, but that's what JD and Jarmo get paid to do.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Interesting comment from Arace, this morning (sorry, no link, it's behind the pay wall):

"Howson rewarded Prospal with a one-year contract just before the 2012 trade deadline. At the time, Howson said Prospal would have a job in the front office upon retirement. If this 'gentlemen's agreement' was not a violation of the league's collective bargaining agreement, it was close."

Anyone know what provision of the CBA Arace might think this would violate?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...entleman-agreement-violate-nhl-040011113.html

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Time can only be held back so long, 39 is not 30. It appears that the FO is not convinced that Vinnie can squeeze out another year like last. And if he can't, they seem to think that his intangibles do not outweigh the time he would take from younger players seen as the team's future. You disagree, I understand. I'm not in a position to judge, but that's what JD and Jarmo get paid to do.

I think it's only partially an expected drop in performance. The rest has more to do with usage. Vinny was our primo scoring winger for most of last year and he got lots of starts in the o-zone with good linemates. The FO wants to give those opportunities to others, and he's not going to be a scorer without them. He also can't check, so what is he good for?

Just for the record, I do think it's good that others are going to get the primo minutes/starts, but I hope we can sign Vinny in a depth/mentorship role.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
There is some hope left for a Vinny signing but I'll admit, after the Arace article today it looks bleak... Ice time for the youth is an issue I can't debate.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I'll take Prospal at 39 over Umberger or MacKenzie.

Vinny will not be taking DMac's spot on the center of the fourth line or on the PK, so that's not really in play. As for RJ, sure, most people like Vinny's more than him, at the moment. Even if you accept the idea that Vinny is a better player and are willing to dismiss the likely fact that RJ could play for a decade after Vinny is gone, finding a way to open RJ's spot for Prospal is the problem.

There's just more to the decision than rewarding a guy who's played so well for the Jackets for two years. How many times has it been said, "better to leave one year too soon, than one year too late"? Might it not just be Vinny's time? If he's back and plays well, I'll be happy. If he's back and shows that time has finally caught up to him, I'll be disappointed for him. If he's not back, I'll be grateful for the fine player he's been in Columbus.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How many times has it been said, "better to leave one year too soon, than one year too late"? Might it not just be Vinny's time?

I disagree with this sentiment. It isn't "Vinny's time" until we actually see that it's his time.

Now, if he wanted a longer term commitment from the Jackets I can see where the problem would come from. If he demanded a 2 year contract, then yeah the CBJ would be justified in not bringing him back and he would know where the problem was. But if we're talking about a 1 year $2 million contract? We have the cap space and aren't at the roster limit yet. Start him out on the 2nd line at wing. Make the young players play better than him. If he really has slowed down to the point that his use is suffering, then you can start playing young guys over him.

Really what they need to do is what they did with Aucoin. Remember when we had Moore, Murray, Savard, and Erixon all vying for 1 or 2 spots? We signed Aucoin and forced the younger guys to earn their ice time. I thought we had gotten away from carving out a spot for the young guys. I even think Portzline said so in a recent article.

Basically, in my opinion, the right thing to do is to let Prospal show he is expendable on the ice and let guys like Atkinson and Calvert show they deserve those top-6 minutes more. Worst case scenario is you are paying a guy $2 million this year to essentially mentor the younger forwards and provide scoring depth. I don't think a guy (even a 39 year old) would go from being a leading scorer to not top-6 worthy without suffering a major injury anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad