Speculation: Prospal's play and the gentleman's agreement

jdhebner

Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Looks like it's coming to the fore pretty soon.Link

“Vinny is a real passionate guy and … he really likes to score goals,” coach Todd Richards said. “There’s a passion there, there’s a passion to play the game, there’s a passion in practice. The energy that he gives everyone else just through his passion is contagious.”

That’s the reason why former general manager Scott Howson promised Prospal a job with the organization after his playing career ends, a “gentleman’s agreement.” Prospal didn’t want to talk about that with a new regime in place.

“Let’s just talk about the game and talk about the next game,” he said. “You know how it is now. There’s a new GM here and a new president, and I’m just a player.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bolded mine. That I can agree with. Looks like it's coming to the fore pretty soon.Link

Thanks for the link.

I have assumed Vinny has approached "new management" about his gentleman's agreement. I have no proof, but it seems like something professionals would do, so, assuming that, possible explanations for his not wanting to talk about it:

1) New management told him it's out the window.
2) New management told him they'd revisit later.
3) New management asked him not to talk about it publicly. (I don't know as he ever spoke much on the matter the first time around, either.)

skimp

Dec 19, 2006
If he isn't appointed Head of Player Haircuts and Goal Face Development when he retires, I'm done with this team.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
@Aportzline "Asked last week. Davidson and Kekalainen were unclear about #CBJ gentlemen's agreement with Prospal, but something they planned to discuss."

I hope something is worked out. Prospal would be a good guy to have around.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Vinny has made an impact on the other players and the coaching staff while here. He called out Arniel on the half-arse practices, Dorse has credited him for his increased offense, and he sets a great example for the youngsters like Johansen.

Seems to me that the organization would be lucky to have him stay in some role.

I do wonder if he would like one more shot at the playoffs and could be traded at the deadline, but I hope if that happens he does return to the Jackets in some role.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gentleman's agreement also included year-to-year contracts to play as well, until he decided to retire and assume whatever role. So there's that aspect of it as well.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
There are so many reasons for the club to honor that agreement, I just can't imagine them not going forward with it.

VP is everything they have asked for in a player; effort, attitude, and a level of skill.

He makes those around him better, effort, attitude, skill level.

The younger players seem to listen to him.

A black eye on the organization if they don't. Like him or hate him, Scott Howson spoke for the organization when he made that agreement. The organization should step up and honor it. Mr Mac would.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
There are so many reasons for the club to honor that agreement, I just can't imagine them not going forward with it.

VP is everything they have asked for in a player; effort, attitude, and a level of skill.

He makes those around him better, effort, attitude, skill level.

The younger players seem to listen to him.

A black eye on the organization if they don't. Like him or hate him, Scott Howson spoke for the organization when he made that agreement. The organization should step up and honor it. Mr Mac would.

I'd be very disappointed if they don't make the effort to keep VP involved in the organization. I think he has another season on the ice in him as well.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
good read. Vinny seems like a very valuable guy to have around, both with his production (still!) and his effect on all the young players.

I hope he wants to play next year, and I hope he plays here if he does. He would be a perfect letter guy for a team that will be as young as next year's team

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Gentlemen's Agreement or not, Prospal's play to date has probably warranted a return engagement for next season. On a team desperate to score goals, he has certainly done more than his fair share in the goal scoring department.

His fate probably rests in whatever philosophy the new regime has regarding how they want to approach repairing this mess of a franchise. If it's the "clean slate" (as possible) approach, then it may be the end of Prospal's time here.

Trade deadline day and draft day will probably tell whether VP has an on ice future with the CBJ. If the team decides not to keep him and VP chooses to hang the blades up, then I'm sure they'll at least throw him a front office bone for PR purposes if nothing else.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I will bet that a lot of play-off teams will come calling for Vinny at the trade deadline.

Proven play-off producer, and a guy who's skill set would be coveted. Can't see JK turning down an offer they can't refuse.

Can't remember if Vinny has a NTC in his contract.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
If I were The Finn, I'd do the following-
"Vinny I understand you had an agreement with the previous GM to play here until your career is over and then join the organization in some fashion. Even though I am under no obligation to do so, I am willing to honor that agreement. Because I think you are such a valuable member of this organization.

Your first job with this organization is to go play for a playoff team from April 3 to the end of the season. Not only will you get your competitive juices flowing again, but I'll get a valuable draft pick in return. When the season is over there will be a contract waiting for you to rejoin our squad if you want. If not, we'd be happy to send you back to Europe to help us with scouting and player development."

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I will bet that a lot of play-off teams will come calling for Vinny at the trade deadline.

Proven play-off producer, and a guy who's skill set would be coveted. Can't see JK turning down an offer they can't refuse.

Can't remember if Vinny has a NTC in his contract.

Capgeek says NMC

Would hate to see Vinny go somewhere, but recall, 2 of the big moves for the Blues not long after John Davidson took over was trading Keith Tkachuk to the Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd...

...and then signing free agent Keith Tkachuk a few months later.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Gentlemen's Agreement or not, Prospal's play to date has probably warranted a return engagement for next season. On a team desperate to score goals, he has certainly done more than his fair share in the goal scoring department.

His fate probably rests in whatever philosophy the new regime has regarding how they want to approach repairing this mess of a franchise. If it's the "clean slate" (as possible) approach, then it may be the end of Prospal's time here.

Trade deadline day and draft day will probably tell whether VP has an on ice future with the CBJ. If the team decides not to keep him and VP chooses to hang the blades up, then I'm sure they'll at least throw him a front office bone for PR purposes if nothing else.

There's also such a thing as "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

Slashing, simply for slashings sake, is counterproductive. So far actions seem to have been measured. I hope it stays that way.

VP needs to stay unless he requests to go play for a contender.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I were The Finn, I'd do the following-
"Vinny I understand you had an agreement with the previous GM to play here until your career is over and then join the organization in some fashion. Even though I am under no obligation to do so, I am willing to honor that agreement. Because I think you are such a valuable member of this organization.

Your first job with this organization is to go play for a playoff team from April 3 to the end of the season. Not only will you get your competitive juices flowing again, but I'll get a valuable draft pick in return. When the season is over there will be a contract waiting for you to rejoin our squad if you want. If not, we'd be happy to send you back to Europe to help us with scouting and player development."
If he's willing to pull a Tkachuk, I'd go for that. I'd hesitate to suggest it, tho.

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
I do wonder if he would like one more shot at the playoffs and could be traded at the deadline, but I hope if that happens he does return to the Jackets in some role.

I think Vinny will gather a great deal of interest at the deadline and could net a good return. He has an NMC though and is a family man, so would he be willing to waive it? The way I see it, the new management will honor Vinny's gentleman's agreement not only because Vinny seems to be a good guy to have around but also because it would signal the rest of the league that this organization values its employees greatly and wants to set itself at high standard. Like Lou and his Devils. We all may not agree on some of his views like the grooming standard, but he sure looks after his employees.

So if the management would approach Vinny at the deadline and ask him to waive his NMC for a chance in playoffs, I think Vinny, being the stand up guy he is, would be willing to waive his NMC out of mutual respect and also why not help your future employer out anyway. In this shortened season he would only have to be away from his family a couple of months tops and then welcome back in the summer Vinny.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Gentleman's agreement also included year-to-year contracts to play as well, until he decided to retire and assume whatever role. So there's that aspect of it as well.

With the way he's played this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on another year.

I can't say how his body feels and sure he seems slower out there but he's still an effective top-6 scorer. If he feels up to playing for another year he should go for it. As for the gentleman's agreement, I hope it is honored for Prospal's sake but like the gentleman's agreement with Detroit moving to the East if it isn't in writing...

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'm willing to eat some crow on Vinny. While I still think he's slowing down out there he still finds ways to produce. He's responsible and dedicated. And just so damn fun to watch.

<-- Vinny fan all the way.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Not honoring the agreement with Vinny would affect my support and fandom for this organization far more than the years of losing and incompetence.

Vinny may be at the end of his career, but to me, he represents the first "brick"

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I agree that it would need to be Vinny's choice if he wanted to be traded and he would likely have to approve the team he went to. He might not want to be away from his family in Columbus, but it's only a few months and his playing career is likely not going to be lasting that many more years. He might want his kids to get to experience the playoffs and get to see him play in that atmosphere.

He still has the ability to play at a high level and could contribute to a playoff team. I don't want to lose him from the Jackets, but I would like to see him rewarded for his hard work by getting a chance to pursue the Stanley Cup. That sadly isn't likely to happen in his playing career in Columbus. Hopefully it does in his future career in the Jackets organization

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It'll be totally up to Vinny. Who knows if him and JD even get along?

Like most I hope he stays around and gets a job with the team, but first of all he has to want to be here and the new regime has to want him as well.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
From another post

Prospal (For me it would take a 1st to pry him out, and that only if the gentlemen's agreement is off the table. Maybe we trade him to a contender for a first and resign him in the offseason :sarcasm::naughty:)

I really love the attitude and knowledge he brings. The new leadership core of AA, Dubi, Vinny, JMFJ, and Wiz has really done a lot to change the culture of the jackets. It really would take some major over-payment to pry him our of C-BUS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad