Props To The Old Guys Around The League Thread

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Just for the sake of having some fun, I want to get a thread going that acknowledges the work that some of the grizzled vets around the league are doing. I'm talking guys that are 35+ and still valuable contributors to your team. Let's hear about them and what they've been doing this year!

For Toronto...

Joe Thornton (41 years old): Jumbo is playing top line minutes with Matthews and Marner and is also regularly featured on the Leafs PP1. Despite a broken rib earlier in the season that saw him miss time, he's put up 3 goals and 8 assists in 12 games, leaving him just shy of a PPG in his 40's. By all accounts, his teammates love him and he's brought a lot of fun and leadership to the dressing room this year.

Jason Spezza (37 years old): Just a couple points shy of the top 100 in all time scoring, Spezza is playing on Toronto's 4th line and 2nd PP unit. Despite limited minutes and opportunity he has 5 goals and 10 assists on the season, for a total of 15 points in 23 games. At the same time, he's 7th in the NHL in faceoff percentage, at 58.8% on the season, making him a highly reliable defensive zone start for Toronto, as well as a stalwart in possession in the offensive zone when the 2nd PP unit is on the ice.

Two old guys playing like much younger versions of themselves.

Tell me about the dudes on your team that I might have only taken a cursory glance at this year!

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Mike Smith

6-2, 2.33/.923 with 2 shutouts.

:laugh:

Yeah man, he's been really good. Even last night he wasn't bad. Leafs could have score 8+ had he not made some really good, point blank saves. I thought he robbed Nylander late, got his glove on a Matthews shot that forced the puck off the post, stoned Hyman point blank a couple times, etc... Mike Smith might be insane, but he's played legitimately well in net.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
How about some Kings love

Anze Kopitar - 4 goals/24 points in 21 games
Dustin Brown - 11 goals/17 points in 21 games
Brown's resurgence has been something to behold. Dude went from being done at 29 with a potential David Clarkson type contract to finding himself again at 33 and going on a late career run. Good for him.

Just look at this article from 2016

Brown contract a major concern for Kings - TSN.ca

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Spezza has been flying out there! Like, literally flying... as in taking off and landing...

It's been fun to watch...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That Marc-Andre Fleury (36) guy is doing well. Incredibly well.

11-3-0, 1.71 GAA, .939 sv. pct. with 3 shutouts
It took way too many posts for his name to come up. At 36 and one of the best statlines in the league. All while not getting rest in an accelerated schedule due to Lehner's injury.

Reactions: TopChedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad