Line Combos: Proposals heading into '13-'14

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian (Booth and Kassian look fantastic together, and Booth looks awful with anyone else)
Higgins - Gaunce/Schroeder - Hansen (Higgins and Hansen are going to be damn fine at carrying their own line)
Sestito - Richardson - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev (Tanev is a great setup guy, Garrison a great triggerman)
Edler - Corrado (pairings are interchangeable)

Luongo
Lack

I would love to switch it up, but we don't have enough depth to switch it up, IMO.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Luongo reports reluctantly, maintaining his trade demand; Gillis stands stubbornly firm in saving spaces for our prospects and in camp it becomes apparent that they aren't ready. The goal then should be to let Tortorella work his magic, resulting in Kesler and Bieksa request a trade. Canucks can thus begin a real 're-boot' and speed up the process by acquiring Nielsen, Cizikas and picks from NYI for Kesler and Elliott and a pick from St. Louis. The future begins anew at the 2014 NHLdraft, where with the 6th pick they grab franchise building block Jake Virtanen (by new GM Jason Bottrill)...

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Luongo reports reluctantly, maintaining his trade demand; Gillis stands stubbornly firm in saving spaces for our prospects and in camp it becomes apparent that they aren't ready. The goal then should be to let Tortorella work his magic, resulting in Kesler and Bieksa request a trade. Canucks can thus begin a real 're-boot' and speed up the process by acquiring Nielsen, Cizikas and picks from NYI for Kesler and Elliott and a pick from St. Louis. The future begins anew at the 2014 NHLdraft, where with the 6th pick they grab franchise building block Jake Virtanen (by new GM Jason Bottrill)...

I hope not.

Not a fan of those returns at all.

But interesting and elaborate predictions.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I really don't like the idea of leaving the 3c open for Schroeder or a rookie. If one of them can earn it, then great...but I hope they bring in a guy like Antropov of Gomez for at least a try out contract. Booth can't play with Kesler, but he can still play (if healthy and given the chance).

I agree with the younger rookies but if you can't pencil Schroeder in no then he likely isn't going to ever make it on this team.

Quick question, what lines were Schroeder and Kassian on last season? I know injuries played a part but you're not going to get a straight answer because they were all over the line up/press box/Chicago. Gillis & Tortorella have been talking about injecting youth into the lineup, some people interpret that as throwing our most recent 1st round picks onto the pro roster but in my opinion it's more a matter of when a kid has done his time in the minors you stick them in a role and keep them there. There will be some bumps along the way but you keep their role & linemates consistent and let them work it out.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Here's what I think we get...

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Richardson-Hansen
Sestito-Gaunce-Weise

I really do think Kassian spends the most of the season with the Sedins. I don't think Schroeder is in the plans anymore. The third line spot is up for grabs, and I figure a prospect eventually takes it from Richardson. Booth maybe late to start the season.

The D I'm less sure about. I think Bieksa and Edler is a lesson in futility and we should reuinite the Bieksa+Hamhuis pairing since it was so effective for us. Plus Tanev maybe late to start the season and isn't even signed yet.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well if we're going to go nuts:

Sedin- Sedin- Kassian
Higgins- Kesler- Burrows
Sestito- Richardson- Hansen
Berube- Smithson- Asham
Brodie

Sign Troy Brodie, Jean-Sebastien Berube, Jarred Smithson, Aaron Asham... Just go goon and size bottom lines.

I don't expect Booth to be healthy for more than 20-30 games anyways.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Jensen Kesler Burrows
Booth Horvat Hansen
Higgins Richardson Sestito

Kassian with the twins adds size grit and toughness there with keeping skill, we want to add toughness throughout the lineup and inject youth so this forward group gives us all of that on each line. I really think Horvat can step in and do what ROR did although I hope we give him another year to develop in which case I think Schroeder takes the 3rd line center if Horvat gets another year to develop.

Edler Garrison
Hamhuis Bieksa
Open Tanev

Luongo
Lack

I really think Edlers game will take the next step under Torts

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I agree with the younger rookies but if you can't pencil Schroeder in no then he likely isn't going to ever make it on this team.

Quick question, what lines were Schroeder and Kassian on last season? I know injuries played a part but you're not going to get a straight answer because they were all over the line up/press box/Chicago. Gillis & Tortorella have been talking about injecting youth into the lineup, some people interpret that as throwing our most recent 1st round picks onto the pro roster but in my opinion it's more a matter of when a kid has done his time in the minors you stick them in a role and keep them there. There will be some bumps along the way but you keep their role & linemates consistent and let them work it out.

That might have something to do with the coach at the time.

I was a huge fan of Hansen, Schroeder, and Raymond for the brief time they were together.

Some of the demotions were totally unwarranted.

medgett

Oct 1, 2007
Coquitlam, BC

Wow. Even for the quality of post we've seen this offseason, this still shocks me a little. First of all, I'm all for critiquing coaching and management, but at the end of the day, fans do have to realize to some degree that most coaches and GM's have forgotten in a week more than most fans will learn in a lifetime. Also, we have to remember that we aren't there. We look and analyze from the outside and have no real perspective on what the actual day to day life of a professional sports franchise looks like beyond what we see in 24/7 or something like that. Clearly, the management of this team has made a few mistakes and those are roundly acknowledged by posters on this board, but to summarily say that Gillis is an idiot and has no clue what he's doing and Torts is a terrible coach and he's gonna run everyone out of town is pathetic.

Beyond that, the moves you're suggesting are just shockingly terrible. Nielsen and Cizikas for Kesler? I'm a big Cizikas fan and I was really pulling for a Luongo for Dipietro/Cizikas deal, (I realize it was a bit of a long shot but still, I was hoping), but Nielsen is real questionable for any kind of contending team. Has the skill to put up some numbers, but he's really soft and not the kind of player I would want for moving out a player of Kesler's quality. I suppose you're also saying Bieksa for Elliot and a pick? I just don't really know what to say. Whatever, probably should just learn to ignore this kind of nonsense.

medgett

Oct 1, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
That might have something to do with the coach at the time.

I was a huge fan of Hansen, Schroeder, and Raymond for the brief time they were together.

Some of the demotions were totally unwarranted.

Could be wrong, but I think that line was split up as a result of the Booth injury. It was really clicking, but one of them had to get promoted to the second line with Kassian being on the float and Booth out. This made Wiese a 3rd line winger :facepalm: and pretty much ruined any chance Schroeder had to contribute offensively.

StringerBell

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise
Santorelli

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Tanev
Weber

Luongo
Lack

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Guance/Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Hamhuis-Garrison
Bieksa-Edler
Weber-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

If our prospects really step it up I see some surprises coming.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Starting 2013-2014 Canuck roster I'd like to see:

Weise and Raymond re-signed, though at a lower salary.
Tanev re-signed with a small raise.

Colton Gillies and Jonathon Blum signed as cheap UFA's

Forwards (LW – C – RW)
D. Sedin (6.1) / H Sedin (6.1) / Burrows (4.5)
Higgins (2.5) / Kesler (5) / Hansen (1.35)
Booth (4.25) / Schroeder (1.2) / Kassian (0.87)
Raymond (2) / Richardson (1.15) Gillies (0.55)
Sestito (0.75) / ----------------- / Weise (0.6)

Defence (LD – RD)

Hamhuis (4.5) / Bieksa (4.6)
Edler (5) / Tanev (1.25)
Garrison (4.6) / Weber (0.65)
--------------- / Blum (0.65)

Goal

Luongo ( 5.33)
Lack (0.75)

Total team salary: $64.25 million

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Hansen
Booth/Schroeder/Kassian
Richardson/Santorelli/Weise

Garrison/Tanev
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Weber

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Hansen
Booth/Santorelli/Kassian
Sestito/Richardson/Weise
Schroeder

Garrison/Corrado
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Tanev
Weber

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Well if we're going to go nuts:

Sedin- Sedin- Kassian
Higgins- Kesler- Burrows
Sestito- Richardson- Hansen
Berube- Smithson- Asham
Brodie

Saw that lineup and my first thought was: Craig Berube has got to be way too old to be playing still...

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Booth Kesler Higgins
Burrows Schroeder Kassian
? Richardson Weise

-Santerolli(sp) first call up for bottom 6 or center
-Jensen for top 6 or Kassian
-? Can hopefully be someone decent(better then Richardson or Weise, someone who can anchor the 4th line)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev
Edler-Corrado
Weber/UFA

-UFA should be somewhat of an Alberts clone, but cheaper and potentially less penalty prone or fleeter of foot even if little less of a bruiser, he would still be ideal

S1)Loungo
B1)Eriksson
B2)Lack

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Booth Kesler Higgins
Burrows Schroeder Kassian
? Richardson Weise

-Santerolli(sp) first call up for bottom 6 or center
-Jensen for top 6 or Kassian
-? Can hopefully be someone decent(better then Richardson or Weise, someone who can anchor the 4th line)

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev
Edler-Corrado
Weber/UFA

-UFA should be somewhat of an Alberts clone, but cheaper and potentially less penalty prone or fleeter of foot even if little less of a bruiser, he would still be ideal

S1)Loungo
B1)Eriksson
B2)Lack

Montador?

member 202355

So many possible line combos. Not enough depth though.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
If both draft picks prove their quality at camp, they'll have tons of depth on the farm.

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Shinkaruk/Kesler/Burrows
Booth/Horvat/Santorelli
Higgins/Richardson/Hansen
Sestito/Weise

Garrison/Corrado
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Tanev
Weber

Lack
Eriksson :sarcasm:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Quoted this from the Santorelli thread, but figured it was more appropriate here.

You'd almost just like to see him slotted in with Booth and Hansen to create a speed line. But given that that's also why I was hoping Schroeder would win the 3C spot, it's not a huge step up, unless he really outplays JS. If so, it's a coup, because his cap hit is roughly half of what JS's will likely be.

IMO people need to re-imagine our line deployments.

Sedins: deployed as your typical first / scoring line, hopefully with less defensive responsibility than last year.
Kesler: deployed as a two-way checking line against other team's best players. If he plays them to a standstill, perfect, if he wins that battle, gravy.
3rd line: deployed like a 2nd scoring line whoever the centre is, this gets easier matchups. Hence I like Schroeder or Santorelli or a similar player here.
4th line: Your typical bottom 6 grind line. Dump and chase, waste minutes, maybe chip in a goal here and there.

Secondary scoring doesn't have to come from the de-facto second line and if deploying your second group helps you win by neutralizing the other team's scorers while leaving yours free, it's a recipe for success. This whole "not quite good enough for a top 6 role and not suited for 3rd line checking minutes" assessment of a whole slough of players creates significant market inefficiencies.

Very well said, and I completely agree. And as you said, a player like Booth would have to be on that third/speed line. Having Hansen on that line is intriguing as well. Maybe something like:

Sedins-Kassian: Top scoring line(Kassian needs to be in the top 9, doesn't fit the speed or Kesler line)

Higgins-Kesler-Burrows: Great line to go head to head against top lines and score as well.

Booth-Schroeder/Santorelli-Hansen: Speed line to help provide some secondary scoring

???-Richardson-???(whoever wins these two spots out of camp, I'd like to see Archibald, Blomstrand, etc be given a good look and fair chance to beat out Weise and Sestito). Some decent 4th line options still available as FA's plus there's always a decent bottom 6 player or two that gets waived after training camps that could also be made available. Give Horvat, Shinkaruk another year in the CHL, give Jensen some more time in the AHL as well

Defense looks solid to me, I really would like to see Corrado make the team(I feel really comfortable with a group of Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev and Corrado, 3LHD, 3RHD and a good mix of youth and vets).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If both draft picks prove their quality at camp, they'll have tons of depth on the farm.

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Shinkaruk/Kesler/Burrows
Booth/Horvat/Santorelli
Higgins/Richardson/Hansen
Sestito/Weise

Garrison/Corrado
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Tanev
Weber

Lack
Eriksson :sarcasm:

If both rookies are actually NHL-ready, that would be one nice lineup for sure. Even if Jensen is ready and Shinkaruk isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad