News Article: Pronman's pipeline rankings *new* added individual player rankings

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Zadina just signed an extension, 3 years $1.8 million aav, $2.7 million salary at the last year. If he can break out, the Wings will have a bargain contract

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This was a current ranking though. Brady looks to already be an elite power forward, while Stu really only came on in the last 30 games of the season. Current All Star for Stu seems like high praise for his last season.

This upcoming season will quite likely see him break into the elite category.

If I am not mistaken, Hutz was specifically talking about Tkachuk's puck skills evaluation which shouldn't be "borderline elite" if Stutzle is "NHL average"

That's where some of us seem to vividly disagree with Pronman, it should be the other way around.

Brady is elite in other aspects like his physical game and particularly owning the front of the net.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
This was a current ranking though. Brady looks to already be an elite power forward, while Stu really only came on in the last 30 games of the season. Current All Star for Stu seems like high praise for his last season.

This upcoming season will quite likely see him break into the elite category.
Ah ya, that’s a good point. All his “borderline elite” are guys who are already there. I love Timmy so I’d make the argument he’s there, but I understand I’m biased on that take, so from that perspective it does make sense.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If I am not mistaken, Hutz was specifically talking about Tkachuk's puck skills evaluation which shouldn't be "borderline elite" if Stutzle is "NHL average"

That's where some of us seem to vividly disagree with Pronman, it should be the other way around.

Brady is elite in other aspects like his physical game and particularly owning the front of the net.
No, I got it right.

Brady was evaluated as having average NHL puck handling, which he does, he shines against the boards and especially in tight.

His elite status listed was ‘compete’.

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ah ya, that’s a good point. All his “borderline elite” are guys who are already there. I love Timmy so I’d make the argument he’s there, but I understand I’m biased on that take, so from that perspective it does make sense.
I mean I don’t disagree with you for the most part, but I think Stu becomes elite this season.

It took Brady a few seasons to establish himself as an elite power forward, so we can be forgiving of Stu for taking so long ;)

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Watching that video, I think people are kidding themselves if they think Stu will be signed for something like 8 mil per year. This will be one of the best players in the world. Many NHL goals are the result of nothing special, but he did 100 special things in the first 30 minutes. This is the kind of guy you wreck your salary structure for, leading to cap problems, etc., because he can be a rare difference maker.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Watching that video, I think people are kidding themselves if they think Stu will be signed for something like 8 mil per year. This will be one of the best players in the world. Many NHL goals are the result of nothing special, but he did 100 special things in the first 30 minutes. This is the kind of guy you wreck your salary structure for, leading to cap problems, etc., because he can be a rare difference maker.
If he is still at PPG or under this year he will probably get the 8 x 8.25 on potential, if he is is over 90 points then yes it’s likely 9M or above.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If he is still at PPG or under this year he will probably get the 8 x 8.25 on potential, if he is is over 90 points then yes it’s likely 9M or above.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There's a new individual prospect rankings in a his most recent article

5. Tkachuk, 8. Stützle, 27. Sanderson, 66. Pinto, 128. Greig, 130. Sokolov

I think he's sleeping a bit on Sanderson and Greig. Heck, maybe Pinto too.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole article yet...

He says he's not projecting who are the best players right now and rather who will be the best pro players when fully developed, but he's definitely putting too much weight on experience.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
People have to sleep on Sanderson, because he hasn't played a game yet.

He clearly loves Tkachuk and rates him higher than most.

I agree that listing Stu as NHL average puck skills is absurd.

I think Pinto is overrated and Greig underrated. Greig >> Sokolov IMO

Otherwise, good article.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The best was how ballistic FQL went about us going with Tkachuk over Zadina.

To be fair to FQL the Zadina hype train on HF was insane.

After his WJC performance he was the consensus 3rd OVR pick by the majority of people around here, and there was even talk of him challenging Svechnikov for #2.

Never bought into it but I can't say I bought in to the Tkachuk hype either. Dobson was my guy in 2018 and I feel pretty good about that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so some of my thoughts on Pronman's ranking:

Outright confusion wrt D, I just don't get some of them.

Ok, so he's got Seider at 2nd and Hughes at 4th, both are great d, and while I can see the arguments for those rankings idk with quite that high. Q.Hughes in particular I'm a little skeptical, but if you love his skill I get it. Seider is fine in that I agree he's the top young D, I just like some forwards a bit better.

Next up is Dahlin at 7, I think that about right, though I personally would have him ahead of Q.Hughes.

Next is Luke Hughes at 11 which seems really high to me, especially when you realize who that's ahead of.

18-20 is Byram, Bouchard, who imo is too high, and Powers.

Jiricek at 23, then Nemec at 26, then finally Sanderson at 27.

But here's where i see a real curveball, Dobson comes in at 31st. Like, he'd take Caufield over Dobson...

When it comes to forwards, I'd personally have Stützle right there with Zegras who he has 3rd. Pinto at 66 just seems off, I mean, in the age of Kaliyev vs Pinto debate, he has Kaliyev at 33. Idk, he might be shy due to injuries.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
He says he's not projecting who are the best players right now and rather who will be the best pro players when fully developed, but he's definitely putting too much weight on experience.
It's weird, sometimes he leans towards experience, others potential. It's very flavour of the month.

These were the top 10 D he had when he made his U23 list back in Jan. The cutoff then was Jan 1st, 1999.

Quinn Hughes
Moritz Seider
Rasmus Dahlin
Owen Power
Miro Heiskanen
Bowen Byram
Jake Sanderson
Luke Hughes
Jamie Drysdale
Evan Bouchard

Only player to "graduate" since then is Heiskanen. Here is the most current ranking of D with cutoff date of Sept 15/99 and includes 2022 draftees:

Moritz Seider
Quinn Hughes
Rasmus Dahlin
Luke Hughes
Bowen Byram
Evan Bouchard
Owen Power
David Jiricek
Simon Nemec
Jake Sanderson

He really likes Hughes apparently. Which is fine. But I don't understand what changed so drastically in 5 months of hockey where Evan Bouchard is higher than Power and Sanderson, and Jiricek and Nemec just get auto inserted in to the top 10 over Sanderson.

FYI the next 10 D from the September list:

Noah Dobson
Simon Edvinsson
Jamie Drysdale
Martin Fehérváry
K'Andre Miller
Olen Zellweger
Thomas Harley
Adam Boqvist
Calen Addison
Lukas Cormier

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well I was just letting you know since you spout the $600 dollar deal, so a $1 dollar a month , I’d assume you’d want to jump on that, it’s usually a lot more.

Yes … I like the Sens and I’m happy to spend money on them. $600 is a great starting spot if you want to go to a couple of games. I like coffee too, happy to buy good coffee.

These articles are riddled with bias and holes - I’ll pass and save a buck.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
2. Tim Stützle, C

20 years old | 6-foot-1 | 187 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 3 in 2020
Tier: NHL All-Star

Skating: High-end
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
NHL average Puck skills? He has the best puck skills on our team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see that Stu's hands are kinda underrated. Keep in mind that the kid was 19 y/o against the best competition in the world... The way he moves and uses his edgework while controlling the puck is extremely impressive, already. I guess the way to double check on that would be to watch some tape :

If you watched this highlite reel and dont think this guys going to be a star to be doing the stuff he is doing in his 19 year old year you are dreaming. Secondly he clearly has chemistry with Formenton.

I wouldn't trade Stutzle for Hughes in any scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you watched this highlite reel and dont think this guys going to be a star to be doing the stuff he is doing in his 19 year old year you are dreaming. Secondly he clearly has chemistry with Formenton.

Does anybody have chemistry with Formenton? Other than Formenton ?

R2010

May 23, 2011
Until the Athletic dumps Pronman and Wheeler they will never get my respect.

Both those guys are huge hacks

I didn't like Pronman years ago but he has improved significantly. I think he's one of the better prospect guys to listen to tbh. He likes a certain style of player more than others but that's fine. Wheeler however is super cocky.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I didn't like Pronman years ago but he has improved significantly. I think he's one of the better prospect guys to listen to tbh. He likes a certain style of player more than others but that's fine. Wheeler however is super cocky.
That’s a pretty fair assessment, he does seem to lean to a certain type of player, and different takes on some, but I do enjoy reading a detailed list of prospects , and reminder of who drafted them and when.

FYI Hockey News just issued its Yearbook, detailed list of each team and prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad