News Article: Pronman's pipeline rankings *new* added individual player rankings

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not that sold on Detroit. Seider is legit and Edvinsson and Raymond look really good but I'm just not convinced of the top end potential of the others.

Having Zadina on their list does them no favours.
Yeah, I'd take our top 5 over theirs, but I don't bemoan anyone who thinks different

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Norris, Formenton, and Brannstrom just graduated so with that, no picks in the first 2 rounds last draft, and Boucher being a huge reach at 10 the year before, 5 is a good place to be.

It could have been better!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Want to know a secret about The Athletic?

All their content can be consumed for free.

I assume that … to be honest I’m not a fan of some of the authors style of writing … and I just chose not to read it… and obviously don’t pay for it.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Interesting that Detroit is so high, yet Zadina is #5 on their list.

I'd put Veleno and Johansson ahead of him in their prospect pool, but then again i'm a big Veleno fan from junior so I'm biased af. Zadina can still be a stud for the Wings, but he's had a very slow trajectory production wise

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But they are both brutal lol
I’m just saying if you’re waiting for them to get fired to subscribe it may never happen.

I personally don’t mind them. They watch more hockey than I do so wrong or right whatever they have their opinion

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
I personally don’t mind them. They watch more hockey than I do so wrong or right whatever they have their opinion

I like them precisely because they are not partisan hacks. Sure, they have their biases for certain kinds of players, but anyone has that. As you said they watch more hockey than any of us here as they are paid to do it for a living. I don't take it as gospel, I take it as opinion from a well educated source.

If you go into every ranking that was just done for U23 (or go into any of The Athletic ranking articles, like re-ranking the 2019 draft, etc.) you see lots of fans clamouring for better rankings for their team or their players or crying because someones puck skills were listed as average versus above average. Usually when every fan base is pissed off at your rankings it is a good sign you are doing it right.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I like them precisely because they are not partisan hacks. Sure, they have their biases for certain kinds of players, but anyone has that. As you said they watch more hockey than any of us here as they are paid to do it for a living. I don't take it as gospel, I take it as opinion from a well educated source.

If you go into every ranking that was just done for U23 (or go into any of The Athletic ranking articles, like re-ranking the 2019 draft, etc.) you see lots of fans clamouring for better rankings for their team or their players or crying because someones puck skills were listed as average versus above average. Usually when every fan base is pissed off at your rankings it is a good sign you are doing it right.

Doing something a lot doesn't mean you're good at it. For example, some people who post a lot on here aren't good at posting.

Likewise, not being biased and every fanbase being angry at your takes doesn't mean you're good either. I could post a ranking of every team's top prospects with their most recent first rounder being ranked #20 on each list and every team's fanbase, except maybe this one, would justifiably call me an idiot.

assennayo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not that sold on Detroit. Seider is legit and Edvinsson and Raymond look really good but I'm just not convinced of the top end potential of the others.

Having Zadina on their list does them no favours.
they seem too high on this list for sure

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Eh, Stu isn't particularly flashy with the puck, I think his puck skill is that he can do it at speed.
I am surprised you think this. He flashes a ton of skill and stickhandles through guys each game and probably has the quickest hands on the team.

He is nowhere near NHL average. Even his shoot-out technique is all hands.

This is from Sportsnet so you KNOW it must be true as they compare to one of their darlings:

"With a skill-set grounded in high-end stickhandling ability, elite vision, and a knack for deceiving the opposition with his feet, Stuetzle’s game has at times drawn comparisons to that of high-flying Toronto Maple Leafs winger Mitch Marner."

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I see that Stu's hands are kinda underrated. Keep in mind that the kid was 19 y/o against the best competition in the world... The way he moves and uses his edgework while controlling the puck is extremely impressive, already. I guess the way to double check on that would be to watch some tape :

Interesting that Detroit is so high, yet Zadina is #5 on their list.

I'd put Veleno and Johansson ahead of him in their prospect pool, but then again i'm a big Veleno fan from junior so I'm biased af. Zadina can still be a stud for the Wings, but he's had a very slow trajectory production wise

I have Buffalo, NJ and Anaheim above Ottawa and that's it. Detroit shouldn't be 4th here

And is it me or we have a few other pieces better than Zadina not in our U-23 top-5?

I got called out by Wings fans 2 years ago because I was saying that Veleno wouldn't have been considered in our 2020 pool before position #12. Formenton was #8, Pinto was #9, Greig was #10 and Jarventie was #11. Balcers was #12

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not bad with no 2022 1st round pick and considering I doubt Pronman would be high on Boucher (spoiler, he isn't, hasBoucher 13th in our pipeline)

And now for the rankings:

1. Buffalo Sabres
Dahlin, Cozens, Power, Quinn, Krebs
2. Detroit Red Wings
Sieder, Raymond, Edvinsson, Kaspers, Zadina
3. New Jersey Devils
Hughes, Hughes, Nemec, Mercer, Holtz
4. Anaheim Ducks
Zebras, McTavish, Drysdale, Zellweger, Gaucher
5. Ottawa Senators
Tkachuk, Stützle, Sanderson, Pinto Greig,
6. Carolina Hurricanes
Svechnikov, Jarvis, Kotkaniemi, Nikishin, Drury
7. Montreal Canadiens
Slavkovski, Caulfield, Dach, Ghule, Barron
8. Minnesota Wild
Boldy, Walstetd, Adissin, Yurov, Rossi
9. New York Rangers
Lafreniere, Miller, Kakko, Schneider, Lundqvist
10. Los Angeles Kings
Byfield, Kaliyev, Clarke, Turcotte, Kupari
11. Arizona Coyotes

12. Columbus Blue Jackets

13. Chicago Blackhawks

14. Vancouver Canucks

15. Seattle Kraken

16. Winnipeg Jets

17. Dallas Stars

18. Edmonton Oilers

19. Philadelphia Flyers

20. Toronto Maple Leafs

21. San Jose Sharks

22. Nashville Predators

23. Colorado Avalanche

24. Washington Capitals

25. Florida Panthers

26. Vegas Golden Knights

27. New York Islanders

28. Calgary Flames

29. St. Louis Blues

30. Pittsburgh Penguins

31. Tampa Bay Lightning

32. Boston Bruins
Not a great set of rankings. Id take Anaheim and Ottawa over Detroit and New Jersey in a second.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’m just saying if you’re waiting for them to get fired to subscribe it may never happen.

Exactly, I don't mind reading their stuff but I do not always agree with it.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I see that Stu's hands are kinda underrated. Keep in mind that the kid was 19 y/o against the best competition in the world... The way he moves and uses his edgework while controlling the puck is extremely impressive, already. I guess the way to double check on that would be to watch some tape :

I have Buffalo, NJ and Anaheim above Ottawa and that's it. Detroit shouldn't be 4th here

And is it me or we have a few other pieces better than Zadina not in our U-23 top-5?

I got called out by Wings fans 2 years ago because I was saying that Veleno wouldn't have been considered in our 2020 pool before position #12. Formenton was #8, Pinto was #9, Greig was #10 and Jarventie was #11. Balcers was #12

I agree with this and would add that he listed Brady but not Timmy as borderline elite. I love Brady, but that seems backwards.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree with this and would add that he listed Brady but not Timmy as borderline elite. I love Brady, but that seems backwards

This was a current ranking though. Brady looks to already be an elite power forward, while Stu really only came on in the last 30 games of the season. Current All Star for Stu seems like high praise for his last season.

This upcoming season will quite likely see him break into the elite category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad