Prospect Info: Pronman's (Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Top 5 or 6 are really strong. Pysyk is 7. IE, Pysyk is not really strong.

Disagree. His combo of hockey sense and mobility gives him as much upside as any of our prospects. When you have those two things, the sky is the limit.

I'm high on Pysyk, too. It's incredibly difficult to rank these guys, though.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Top 5 or 6 are really strong. Pysyk is 7. IE, Pysyk is not really strong.

Disagree. His combo of hockey sense and mobility gives him as much upside as any of our prospects. When you have those two things, the sky is the limit.

really? Or are you just exaggerating?

I think what you are trying to say, is that Pysyk's hockey sense and mobility make him more of a sure thing, a safe bet to be a regular NHLer... but those 2 things don't make the "sky the limit".

Lenain22

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Why Connor Hurley is so under the radar..? the Kid have a good size, good hand, look like a very nice passer ? maybe he need to shot more on net...??

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I think what you are trying to say, is that Pysyk's hockey sense and mobility make him more of a sure thing, a safe bet to be a regular NHLer... but those 2 things don't make the "sky the limit".

I agree with you here. He could be a really good Tallinder imo.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
And just think, over the next year or 2 they may add 2 more elite top 10 prospects and they have 2 extra 2nd round picks.

5-7 years from now will be fun.

They have 18 potential prospect here......currently have 9 picks in rounds 1-3 the next 2 yrs ( 3 extra 2nd rounders).

If they move Vanek, Miller, and Stafford they should get back 7 picks( rounds 1-3) and prospects.

This accumulates to 34 picks/ prospects. 8 likely 1st rounders. Trades can be made to add the missing pieces.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He says our top 5 or 6 is really strong, basically cutting it off right before Pysyk. I wonder why he's so low on him? Pysyk is my no. 2 prospect. I don't know how you can drop someone who's development has come along so flawlessly.

I always find it odd, when a player is first drafted, people always rate them highly, expecting their development to top out. Even when their development goes well or better than expected, people throw next batch in higher. I think it should be the other way around. As they develop, if it's going well, move them up. They've already passed the first test, which is more than can be said for the newly drafted players.

Thie Only issue in the rankings is Compher ahead of Pysyk. The other 5 on the list were drafted in a higher spot that Pysyk in the 1st round.

Grigs 12
Girgs 14
Risto 8
Zadorov 16
Armia 16

Pysyk IIRC was picked in the low 20s in 2010. All of the player listed were picked after him in 2011-13. Some, including Buffalo seemed to have Compher ranked in the low 20s same spot Pysyk was picked.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Thie Only issue in the rankings is Compher ahead of Pysyk. The other 5 on the list were drafted in a higher spot that Pysyk in the 1st round.

Grigs 12
Girgs 14
Risto 8
Zadorov 16
Armia 16

Pysyk IIRC was picked in the low 20s in 2010. All of the player listed were picked after him in 2011-13. Some, including Buffalo seemed to have Compher ranked in the low 20s same spot Pysyk was picked.

Which makes zero difference when ranking prospects.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
They have 18 potential prospect here......currently have 9 picks in rounds 1-3 the next 2 yrs ( 3 extra 2nd rounders).

If they move Vanek, Miller, and Stafford they should get back 7 picks( rounds 1-3) and prospects.

This accumulates to 34 picks/ prospects. 8 likely 1st rounders. Trades can be made to add the missing pieces.

Its easy to see that the future is bright. We just have to have a lot of patience, which is pretty hard to do at this point.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Which makes zero difference when ranking prospects.

When they haven't done much at the NHL level...where they were picked and how they were ranked on predraft boards matters if you are going to rank prospects if your pick corresponds to best player available.

It would make zero difference if you were going to rank NHL/AHL level players/prospects between 20-25 who had minimum 2 yrs experience.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo had him in the 20's on this draft board, which likely should slot him in over a number of picks in the last few years. Pronman really liked him too, pre-draft, so this isn't much of a shock in his listing.

He's also never been a big fan of Pysyk, iirc, so Pysyk being lower than many of us would have him should be no surprise.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why Connor Hurley is so under the radar..? the Kid have a good size, good hand, look like a very nice passer ? maybe he need to shot more on net...??

Just very far away from being an NHLer. He was literally the youngest player in the draft last year and played most of his hockey at the high school level (with a handful USHL games). He's got nice tools/upside, but quite a ways to go.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Pronman - Jame - Cerebral
1. Grigor - Risto - Grigorenko
2. Risto - Grigor - Ristolainen
3. Zad - Armia - Armia
4. Armia - Zad - Zadorov
5. Girgs - Girgs - Girgensons
6. Compher - Pysyk - McCabe
7. Pysyk - Larsson - Larsson
8. Larsson - McCabe - Pysyk
9. McCabe - Compher - McNabb
10. McNabb - McNabb - Compher
11. Cat - Cat - Catenacci
12. Hurley - Hackett - Hackett
13. Ruhwedel - Bailey - Andrey Makarov
14. Bailey - Kea - Chad Ruhwedel
15. JGL- Hurley - Bryan Flynn
16 - - Connor Hurley
17. - - Justin Bailey
18. - - Corey Tropp
19. - - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
20. Linus Ullmark

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pronman - Jame - Cerebral
1. Grigor - Risto - Grigorenko
2. Risto - Grigor - Ristolainen
3. Zad - Armia - Armia
4. Armia - Zad - Zadorov
5. Girgs - Girgs - Girgensons
6. Compher - Pysyk - McCabe
7. Pysyk - Larsson - Larsson
8. Larsson - McCabe - Pysyk
9. McCabe - Compher - McNabb
10. McNabb - McNabb - Compher
11. Cat - Cat - Catenacci
12. Hurley - Hackett - Hackett
13. Ruhwedel - Bailey - Andrey Makarov
14. Bailey - Kea - Chad Ruhwedel
15. JGL- Hurley - Bryan Flynn
16. x - Flynn - Connor Hurley
17. x - Ruhwedel - Justin Bailey
18. x - Possler - Corey Tropp
19. x - Makarov - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
20. x - Peterson - Linus Ullmark
21. x - Baptiste - x
22. x- Tropp - x
23. x - Sundher - x
24. x - Gauthier-Lesuc - x
25. x - Ullmark - x

;)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I don't see why he can't become Duncan Keith. It's a long shot, for sure, but the tools are there. So, yeah, the sky is the limit.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I don't see why he can't become Duncan Keith. It's a long shot, for sure, but the tools are there. So, yeah, the sky is the limit.

I don't see the comparision at all. Pysyk is more likely to become a Sekera/Hamhuis type defenseman. He's got nowhere near the skillset of a guy like Duncan Keith. It's like saying Myers will be the next Chara.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I guess you could just bundle up that phrase for any prospect

I don't see why he can't become {insert star player}. It's a long shot, for sure, but the tools are there. So, yeah, the sky is the limit.

i mean, if you include the "long shot" caveat.... what's the difference?

are any of our top prospects limits, NOT the sky? :laugh:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I guess you could just bundle up that phrase for any prospect

I don't see why he can't become {insert star player}. It's a long shot, for sure, but the tools are there. So, yeah, the sky is the limit.

i mean, if you include the "long shot" caveat.... what's the difference?

are any of our top prospects limits, NOT the sky? :laugh:

Duncan Keith was a mid-2nd rounder known for his skating and hockey sense. What was his ceiling? The sky probably wasn't the limit for him, either.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Duncan Keith was a mid-2nd rounder known for his skating and hockey sense.

What was his ceiling? The sky probably wasn't the limit for him, either.

should i make a list of late 1st - mid 2nd round defenders who were "known for" their skating and hockey sense?

I guess the sky was the limit for all of them...

:rolleyes:

I shouldn't bother... i know

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
not too relevant, but just for discussion purposes...

...6'0, 173 for Duncan Keith his draft year... his lankiness and thin frame were concerns...then he bulked up to 200lbs., grew an inch, and the rest is history...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad