5. Zemgus Girgensons, Center
6. J.T. Compher, Center
7. Mark Pysyk, Defense
8. Johan Larsson, Center
9. Jake McCabe, Defense
10. Brayden McNabb, Defense

Organizational Ranking: 3rd

System Overview

The Sabres boast an elite farm system, anchored mainly by their past two draft classes. Grigorenko is a star prospect, and Buffalo's top five or six prospects are extremely strong. The system's depth is slightly above average, and their pipeline has a lot of players who are close to NHL-ready, which the struggling Sabres sorely need.

Much more at the link: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1563

Interesting rankings. He has Zadorov and Compher ranked much higher than I do.

He also has Buffalo ranked 3rd in the league, behind Tampa and the Islanders.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I got butterflies when i read "elite farm system"

Surprised to see Compher so high I would have him 10 and the rest slide up a spot but can't argue with the rest. 2-5 could be in any order IMO

If you click the link they go a little more in depth with each propect, and the absolute best part was they couldnt find anything bad to say about Risto

The Bad: Ristolainen does not have a true glaring hole, although his defensive positioning could use a little fine tuning.

For those wondering they're 11-15 look like this

11. Daniel Catenacci, Center: Catenacci is an elite skater with skill, but in recent years, he has become very adept at killing penalties and playing defense. He has expanded the possible outcomes for his path forward into pro hockey.

12. Connor Hurley, Center: Hurley is a highly-talented forward with good speed, great hands, and a penchant for creating offense. His physical game is inconsistent.

13. Chad Ruhwedel, Defense: Ruhwedel does not have the highest ceiling, and he is small, but he skates well, and he thinks the game at a quality level in both ends.

14. Justin Bailey, Right Wing: Bailey is a toolsy forward with size, skill, and a good shot. He is raw, however, and he could improve his footwork.

15. Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Defense: He has above-average NHL potential due to his offensive tools, but it is questionable if he can ever defend at an NHL level.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Compher ahead of Pysyk is kind of a headscratcher, other than that this looks pretty reasonable, although I personally ranked some people a little differently.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Surprised to see Compher so high I would have him 10 and the rest slide up a spot but can't argue with the rest. 2-5 could be in any order IMO

Buffalo had him in the 20's on this draft board, which likely should slot him in over a number of picks in the last few years. Pronman really liked him too, pre-draft, so this isn't much of a shock in his listing.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
"Compher's got a lot of potential, I may be conservative. RT @TheHosers_DSJ: Pretty high on Compher? Surprised to see him ahead of Pysyk."

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I love the work Pronman puts out there. He's one of my favorites.

Compulsive tweeter.

I like his work too. @SabresProspects knows more about our prospects, but Pronman provides good league-wide prospect information and has an enjoyable sarcastic sense of humor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Compulsive tweeter.

I like his work too. @SabresProspects knows more about our prospects, but Pronman provides good league-wide prospect information and has an enjoyable sarcastic sense of humor.

Our very own Hobey Baker. :yo: :handclap:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

And just think, over the next year or 2 they may add 2 more elite top 10 prospects and they have 2 extra 2nd round picks.

5-7 years from now will be fun.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pronman - Jame
1. Grigor - Risto
2. Risto - Grigor
3. Zad - Armia
4. Armia - Zad
5. Girgs - Girgs
6. Compher - Pysyk
7. Pysyk - Larsson
8. Larsson - McCabe
9. McCabe - Compher
10. McNabb - McNabb
11. Cat - Cat
12. Hurley - Hackett
13. Ruhwedel - Bailey
14. Bailey - Kea
15. JGL- Hurley

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Compher has been pretty underrated around these parts since the draft, I feel. I think he and Girgensons are comparable prospects, with Zemgus having the edge in size.

Between these two, Foligno, Larsson, Catenacci, Tropp, etc., Buffalo has really brought in a nice stable of secondary prospects that are difficult to play against. Couple that with the high-end potential that Grigorenko, Armia, Ristolainen and Zadorov possess and Buffalo has an excellent foundation in place (Risto and Zadorov also being difficult to play against is gravy).

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Interesting rankings. He has Zadorov and Compher ranked much higher than I do.

A lot of discussion before the draft that his offensive upside was sniffing top pairing level. They blamed it on his role in the Russian system type casting him as a stay at home guy when he went to London. Towards the end of the season he was seeing time on their PP and looks to have the makings of a decent QB type. His shot still leaves me skeptical but he was definitely one of my favorites going in to the draft. Shocked he made it passed Philly.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The lack of Hackett is very surprising. Is that just an oversight, or is he using criteria that for whatever reason excludes him?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I just noticed his top 5 are all European. I just find that interesting since the Sabres went through a period of not drafting Europeans at the top of the draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just noticed his top 5 are all European. I just find that interesting since the Sabres went through a period of not drafting Europeans at the top of the draft.

Eh, three of those guys were playing in NA in their draft-eligible season though. The other two are both Finns. It's not like they're branching out deeply into European development systems yet.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He says our top 5 or 6 is really strong, basically cutting it off right before Pysyk. I wonder why he's so low on him? Pysyk is my no. 2 prospect. I don't know how you can drop someone who's development has come along so flawlessly.

I always find it odd, when a player is first drafted, people always rate them highly, expecting their development to top out. Even when their development goes well or better than expected, people throw next batch in higher. I think it should be the other way around. As they develop, if it's going well, move them up. They've already passed the first test, which is more than can be said for the newly drafted players.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
He says our top 5 or 6 is really strong, basically cutting it off right before Pysyk. I wonder why he's so low on him? Pysyk is my no. 2 prospect. I don't know how you can drop someone who's development has come along so flawlessly.

He's not "low" on Pysyk.

‏@coreypronman 4h .@diebytheblade nothing against Pysyk he was great last season. Think the ones ahead of him just have that extra level of upside.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's not "low" on Pysyk.

Can't really disagree with Pronman. While I like Pysyk and think he's going to be a rock-solid NHL defenseman, these other guys just have more potential.

And when ranking prospects, the majority of people and the VAST majority of pundits will rank potential in prospects above all else.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
People are going to be surprised at what Compher does if they think he's too high in those rankings.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I would put Larsson and Pysyk ahead of Compher. You can make a case for McCabe as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He's not "low" on Pysyk.

Top 5 or 6 are really strong. Pysyk is 7. IE, Pysyk is not really strong.

Can't really disagree with Pronman. While I like Pysyk and think he's going to be a rock-solid NHL defenseman, these other guys just have more potential.

And when ranking prospects, the majority of people and the VAST majority of pundits will rank potential in prospects above all else.

Disagree. His combo of hockey sense and mobility gives him as much upside as any of our prospects. When you have those two things, the sky is the limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad