Prospect Info: Pronman Ranks Kings 5th Best Pipeline in League

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm wondering if those who follow Pronman a bit closer could comment on his definitions, especially the contrast between "Puck Skills" and "Hands".

Quinton Byfield
Puck Skills: Average
"Byfield has great hands, and with his reach and speed he’s able to put pucks through defenders easily with pace."​

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Curious if anyone else followed Pronman's series of "re-drafting" articles from last October where he re-ranked the players in the 2017-2020 drafts based on how they've developed since the drafts?

Putting it all together from a Kings perspective, he had all of the first-rounders going later than where they were taken (with Bjornfoot and Andersson falling to the second round), but a number of later round picks going higher (including Kaliyev and Fagemo moving up to the first round).

Overall he seems to view those drafts as yielding a surplus of prospects who he expects will or may have NHL careers as middle-of-the-lineup players, but only two (Byfield and Kaliyev) that he expects to be top-of-the-lineup (with Fagemo on the bubble). None was considered elite or sure-fire all-star caliber. Strangely Chromiak wasn't even mentioned.

Not sure whether his take is realistic or too pessimistic.

Links:

Re-drafting 2017
Re-drafting 2018
Re-drafting 2019
Re-drafting 2020
I still don't understand Pronman's fascination with Fagemo. Had him as the top Kings prospect last year(?), and still has him way higher than Turcotte.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What are the overall opinions of The Athletic if one's only interested in their LA Kings coverage?

It's worth it if you can get it for that dollar a month deal or wahtever discount they have; otherwise it's not that great.

But I subscribe to it for much more than the Kings, having 'insider' covg on all teams is pretty nice, though it frankly depends on each teams/markets writers. I dig it for Kings, Ducks, Rams, Lakers, Fantasy Football at th every least.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It's worth it if you can get it for that dollar a month deal or wahtever discount they have; otherwise it's not that great.

But I subscribe to it for much more than the Kings, having 'insider' covg on all teams is pretty nice, though it frankly depends on each teams/markets writers. I dig it for Kings, Ducks, Rams, Lakers, Fantasy Football at th every least.

I think overall it's great, but if you are looking for just Kings coverage it's not worth it. Basically, the only reporter they have doing Kings stories is Lisa Dillman, and she never gives me the impression she's that dialed in to the inner-workings of the team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think overall it's great, but if you are looking for just Kings coverage it's not worth it. Basically, the only reporter they have doing Kings stories is Lisa Dillman, and she never gives me the impression she's that dialed in to the inner-workings of the team.

Agreed. If solely for the Kings, I don't know if I'd be happy with the coverage. But all-encompassing aspect and additional draft/prospect coverage it's great.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
One of his 'issues' was just outright speed. He's super agile, but was never a burner, so his size could be a detriment both for defending and when getting forechecked (not much escapability). But he appears to be ironing that issue out judging by his AHL games.

Like Jesse says I have to think it's just a longer-term "get bigger and faster to deal with pros" thing.

Spence is so f-king smart. He is something like rightshooting Kale Clague (smallish, mostly non-physical puckhandler), but Spence understands the game so much better than Clague. 20 years old kid, his 1st year in the AHL and now he's running Ontario's 1st PP-unit and also getting SH-time!

Some guys have "it", some guys don't - Spence has "it".

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Something's gotta give on the right side. Doughty (who still has it), Roy and now Durzi seem to have the right locked up for now. Someone has to be traded since Walker is going to return next season and he'll have 2 years left on that deal. Durzi will be an RFA and you can't pull that waive him BS and hope he clears (he won't). If Blake pulls that crap again, I'll explode. Then you have Spence, Faber and Clarke on deck. I think you've got to send Walker and/or someone else for a left sided upgrade or hope that one of Spence, Clarke or Faber can play on the left.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about Grans too who's a righty and has played pretty well in Ontario.

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
how would you rank it now? really impressed with spence, simontaival, chromiak, pinelli, durzi.
don't know how faber isn't on that list, even in september. looks like a stud. crazy depth for the
kings, not very fair ;)
Personally? I'm not a Kings fan but I love their prospects so much, so take my rankings with the biggest grain of salt in all the land:

Quinton Byfield
Brandt Clarke
Alex Turcotte
Samuel Fagemo
Brock Faber
Franceso Pinelli
Helge Grans
Akil Thomas
Tyler Madden
Martin Chromiak

I excluded graduates like Kupari and Kaliyev! What about you?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm wondering if those who follow Pronman a bit closer could comment on his definitions, especially the contrast between "Puck Skills" and "Hands".

Quinton Byfield
Puck Skills: Average
"Byfield has great hands, and with his reach and speed he’s able to put pucks through defenders easily with pace."​
He says Zegras has average puck skills (already has literally some of the best puck skills in the NHL, it's probably his biggest asset along with his creativity). Pronman is a clown don't take him seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00