Prospect Info: Pronman Ranks Kings 5th Best Pipeline in League

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Come on now, 4 teams have better? Please.
This is pipeline rankings (all U23 players in the system), not prospect pool rankings, so it includes proven stars like Andrei Svechnikov and Brady Tkachuk. So with that context, I don't disagree with his rankings much, except for probably Buffalo Sabres being #1. I'd actually probably have them behind LAK, but Pronman seems very high on Owen Power.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Pronman is a hack.
Nah, I don't think so. He watches the players and formulates his own opinions. Anyone who puts in the work and isn't afraid to have their own opinions on prospects deserves time in my books.

He's higher than everyone else on Fagemo. Makes me excited to see what Fagemo will do this year. Also really intrigued by Kirsanov, as he wasn't much on my radar. I really hope Kupari can get back in his good graces though, as he used to be quite high on him. Personally I still see top 6 upside for Kupari (Pronman says he's more of a middle six/3C).

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
A wide criterion by Pronman. He needs to narrow the focus I believe because Prospects has always meant Non-NHL player in my books! And clearly the LA Kings sit numero uno with Ottawa next

Reactions: ricardfromage

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Nah, I don't think so. He watches the players and formulates his own opinions. Anyone who puts in the work and isn't afraid to have their own opinions on prospects deserves time in my books.

He's higher than everyone else on Fagemo. Makes me excited to see what Fagemo will do this year. Also really intrigued by Kirsanov, as he wasn't much on my radar. I really hope Kupari can get back in his good graces though, as he used to be quite high on him. Personally I still see top 6 upside for Kupari (Pronman says he's more of a middle six/3C).
Imagine if he excluded NHLers
The Kings would be first
No one above us
other fans butthurt

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
He has ranked the top Kings prospects as follows:

1. Quinton Byfield
2. Arthur Kaliyev
3. Brandt Clarke
4. Samuel Fagemo
5. Gabe Vilardi
6. Kirill Kirsanov
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Jaret Anderson-Dolan
9. Rasumus Kupari
10. Lias Andersson

Just throwing this up for comparison to @King'sPawn Poll's.

1. Quinton Byfield, F (98.6%), +0
2. Brandt Clarke, D (43.3%), NR
3. Alex Turcotte, F (69.9%), +0
4. Arthur Kaliyev, F (94.1%), +1
5. Brock Faber, D (44.6%), +9
6. Rasmus Kupari, F (67.1%), +3
7. Akil Thomas, F (35.4%), +4
8. Samuel Fagemo, F (47.5%), -2
9. Tyler Madden, F (65.9%), -1
10. Francesco Pinelli, F (34.2%), NR
11. Helge Grans, D (48.8%), -1

Some really big differences in Turcotte (-4) and Faber (+10).

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Imagine if he excluded NHLers
The Kings would be first
No one above us
other fans butthurt
LMAO

Just throwing this up for comparison to @King'sPawn Poll's.

1. Quinton Byfield, F (98.6%), +0
2. Brandt Clarke, D (43.3%), NR
3. Alex Turcotte, F (69.9%), +0
4. Arthur Kaliyev, F (94.1%), +1
5. Brock Faber, D (44.6%), +9
6. Rasmus Kupari, F (67.1%), +3
7. Akil Thomas, F (35.4%), +4
8. Samuel Fagemo, F (47.5%), -2
9. Tyler Madden, F (65.9%), -1
10. Francesco Pinelli, F (34.2%), NR
11. Helge Grans, D (48.8%), -1

Some really big differences in Turcotte (-4) and Faber (+10).
Great comparison, thanks! Wonder why he's so much lower on Turcotte and Faber than the usual fan. He also seems lower on Kupari and higher on Fagemo and Kirsanov.

It seems he thinks Turcotte's shot and Kupari's passing are both below-average. He also just doesn't seem to think Faber has enough raw skill and offensive upside, whereas he sees top 6 upside in Fagemo.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Weird to include NHL players in the "Pipeline rankings". Seems like pipeline rankings would suggest players who aren't full time NHL players.

I get its under 23 now but Ottawa. Really.

Kings are number 1. Miss me with that bullshit.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I agree. I respect his lists, knows he puts in the work, and feel he's fairly consistent even if I disagree (like projecting Anderson as a 3rd pairing defenseman).

I do disagree with the premise of the article. U23 means jack in the pipeline. Just ask Montreal with Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: JohnLennon

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Weird to include NHL players in the "Pipeline rankings". Seems like pipeline rankings would suggest players who aren't full time NHL players.

I get its under 23 now but Ottawa. Really.

Kings are number 1. Miss me with that bullshit.
The athletic has a completely separate ranking system of top NHL farms. Kings are ranked #1 in that and have been for a few years. This list compiles all young players within a system. Lets be real, until this past season, we were one of the worst teams when it came to NHL players under 23, with the only notable player being Kempe. At some point, these prospects need to convert to high level NHL players.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Nope, he is a hack.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Weird idea for a list, but i get it. Understandable we're lower since pretty much all of our guys are 18-21....and the elite ones are mostly 18-19. The good news, for those that like this list, is that going forward, we'll likely be at the top for several years.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I agree. I respect his lists, knows he puts in the work, and feel he's fairly consistent even if I disagree (like projecting Anderson as a 3rd pairing defenseman).

I do disagree with the premise of the article. U23 means jack in the pipeline. Just ask Montreal with Kotkaniemi.
Even though I am OP, you've successfully triggered me as a Habs fan... lol!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even though I am OP, you've successfully triggered me as a Habs fan... lol!

Whoops! I honestly didn't even consider that. I sometimes make note of other fans favorite teams. You've just never behaved in a way where I have associated you to a particular fandom. My apologies.

I honestly just meant that as U23, the length in which a player may stay with a team is very fluid and uncertain, that I don't think it's a good way to measure a pipeline.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yeah, he seems slightly down on many of our prospects. Part of this is the natural grounding that comes once limitless potential becomes tripped away with time. I also haven't read his takes on other teams' prospects to see if his tone is equally sobering across the board. I was surprised that Chromiak wasn't even an honorable mention. (He has Dudas, Spence, Grans, Jamsen, Durzi, and Villalta as HMs,)

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Whoops! I honestly didn't even consider that. I sometimes make note of other fans favorite teams. You've just never behaved in a way where I have associated you to a particular fandom. My apologies.

I honestly just meant that as U23, the length in which a player may stay with a team is very fluid and uncertain, that I don't think it's a good way to measure a pipeline.
I'm a fan of the sport more than anything, love keeping track of lots of teams and have a soft spot for prospects, no worries :)

Also I absolutely agree, the cutoff at U23 is definitely arbitrary though I suspect it is difficult to properly evaluate a team's entire pipeline - it's difficult for many to even find the proper cutoff on who to consider a "prospect" and "graduated"!

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Guys up to their ELCs should be considered pipeline in my opinion. Deciding to throw away NHL games when evaluating means sunshine is always blowing up fans asses and set backs at the lower levels are excused too easily.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm a fan of the sport more than anything, love keeping track of lots of teams and have a soft spot for prospects, no worries :)

Also I absolutely agree, the cutoff at U23 is definitely arbitrary though I suspect it is difficult to properly evaluate a team's entire pipeline - it's difficult for many to even find the proper cutoff on who to consider a "prospect" and "graduated"!

Power to the prospects!
Power to the prospects!
Power to the prospects, right on !

Say we want a younger team
Better stockpile pick right away!
Start watching the draft
and minor league games

Singing power to the prospects!
Power to the prospects!
Power to the prospects!
Power to the prospects, right on !

Ad