Projecting Murray 3+ Years Forward

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
Note to mods: please feel free to merge this, but since it ventured off into a different arena, I thought it could stand alone.

So on about a billion different threads, I've been reading how a lot of us think on the basis of Murray in the AHL (and obviously, this year's playoffs), he's somewhat of a sure thing. I was curious about justifying that, so I wrote a little script that gave me all AHL goaltenders with a GAA below 2.20 and a SV above .925%. (For the sake of my own sanity, I ended in 2007.)

This returned 22 results, everyone from Petr Mrazek to a now retired goalie named Karl Goehring.

In order to get a decent idea of how Murray might do moving forward, I then wrote a similarity scoring algorithm which factored in age and draft position in addition to GAA and SV, because age is an obvious factor in development and draft position is a broad enough indicator of that goalie's perceived value as a prospect.

To create the similarity scores, I created z-scores for each statistic, and then looked at each player's different on each statistic to Murray. Since GAA had a much wider range than say, age, GAA is given a higher level of precedence to form the scores.

This gave me:

BASE: Matt Murray 2016 (age 21, 2.10, .931, 83rd overall)
1. Robin Lehner 2013 (age 21, 2.12, .938, 46th overall)
2. Jonathan Bernier 2010 (age 21, 2.03, .936, 11th overall)
3. Fredrik Andersen 2013 (age 23, 2.19, .929, 87th overall)
4. Cory Schneider 2009 (age 23, 2.04, .926, 26th overall)
5. Petr Mrazek 2014 (age 22, 2.06, .927, 141st overall)
6. Jake Allen 2014 (age 23, 2.03, .928, 34th overall)
7. Jaroslav Halak 2008 (age 23, 2.10, .929, 271st overall)

And others beyond there. So at least on the surface, it looks like a pretty strong group. I'm not really all that interested in right now though, I'm interested in what happens in the next three years beyond that performance, weighted by the similarity scores above, where a more similar goalie is given more weight in forming the projection.

Lehner 13-16: .914, 2.85 (82 GP; backup, getting better)
Bernier 10-13: .914, 2.24 (55 GP; backup, now..pretty bad)
Andersen 13-16: .918, 2.33 (125 GP; split net but it's all his now)
Schneider 09-12: .934, 2.08 (60 GP, backup with better stats, now unquestionably elite)
Mrazek 14-16: .920, 2.35 (83 GP, started backup, now starter..first year as 1A looks almost exactly the same as MAF)
Allen 14-16: .916, 2.32 (84 GP, split net with Elliott, who had better stats)
Halak 08-11: .915, 2.52 (136 GP, booted in favor of Price and then Elliott..and Greiss!)

Combining all of them and weighing them, we come up with:
.917, 2.36

This number is probably super bearish to you, given what MM did in the SC finals, and considering you're a Pens fan. I get that. But the numbers are what they are, there's no real massaging them. Murray can either outperform all of his comparables, or he can perform similarly to them, which is to say below MAF's last two years.

Of course, that's in a vacuum; in the real world we have things like salary caps, movement clauses, expansion drafts, and playoff nerves to contend with.

I guess my ultimate point here is to try to preach some sanity, and temper expectations a little bit. There is little to no reason to believe that MM will be a .920/2.20 goalie his first full year in the NHL, unless you believe both that he will outperform all of his statistical comparables and his age..not to mention the initial history of the goalies who are currently elite (Holtby, Price, etc. - see below, caveats).

My personal guess is that it will play out extremely close to Mrazek's arc; act as 1B for the first year, take over the next year. Although it's very likely that MAF will put better numbers than Howard did.

Your ultimate conclusion will vary, as will your personal preference to what kinds of numbers this team requires from a goalie for success. It's very possible that you can conclude that .917 from MM and room to sign Boedker is better than a .921 from MAF. I can't say I wholly disagree.

Notes:

1. Despite being older than Murray, none of these guys were handed the net full-time..which is probably the #1 reason why MAF is still on the roster. Andersen probably the closest, and he was below average (.914, 2.38) in his only 1A season.
  2. The upside case here is probably Schneider, although in the context of that list, he looks like a big outlier. He was elite in a limited role behind Luongo, whose stats he eclipsed..although not until he was 25. (Worth noting that Luongo ended up being a very valuable acquisition for Florida, and now VAN has neither. Having fun with Ryan Miller, are you?)
  3. The downside case here is either Lehner or Bernier, which worries me quite a bit because they're the top two comparables. The latter was probably the more touted prospect, and now he's likely headed to a role of career backup after washing out in TOR. Lehner, jury is out, but statistics indicate him getting it together, after a significant amount of time. The larger point is, at one point they were the clear future of that franchise in net.
  4. I'm sure some of you are going to point to this and just say "Lehner sucks! No way Murray will play like that." Let me just say this: I hope not. He's pretty damn strong comparable though.

Caveats:

1. Murray's performance the last two years (ie: not just one) doesn't really have a ton of comparables; certainly not his 2014-2015 performance, nor his Stanley Cup run. The closest is Halak, who made this list twice. Grain of salt needed.
  2. There are lots of elite goalies that either don't make the list of comparables because of the criteria (Carey Price, Braden Holtby, etc.) or because they were international (Henrik Lundkvist, etc.) so this is certainly not an exhaustive algorithm. With that said, Price had an average-to-below-average start to his career, as did Holtby. Both took until about 24-25 to really put it together. Same with Schneider.
  3. Obviously teams aren't apples to apples, nor are different eras of hockey. Some teams could be very defensive (STL) whereas some teams could give up a ton of odd-man breaks (us under Bylsma). Defense and opponent adjusting this would take forever, so I'm punting on it and listing it as a known caveat.
  4. This is done purely on stats, and therefore no comparisons are made of playing style, athleticism, or anything scouting-based. (Not only that it's scope-limited to one season of the AHL, but I did that because people seem to cite it on here as if it's the gospel, and because there just aren't a lot of other things to use.) Therefore, a lot of makes a goalie "NHL-ready" isn't factored in, and thus could be misleading as there are lots of players who put up great AHL stats but can't hack it in the majors, just like there are a lot of naturally gifted goalies who didn't light the minors on fire. Feel free to Murray's nerves/athleticism/bouncebackism or whatever for reasons to feel more confident about him than the numbers indicate.
  5. While I took a bunch of statistic classes (and founded and currently run a sports analytics company), I'm more of a CS guy and therefore true math/stats guys can probably poke a few holes in my logic. I think the core is pretty sound though.
  6. It's likely I messed something up somewhere, or that there's a bug in my code. If you want to use that as an excuse to be pedantic and rule out all of the analysis, your call.

Last edited:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Oh man, I hate threads like these. Too tempted to say all-star goalie, Vezina winner, & another Cup, but I got a feeling that will jinx him, so I'll say sophomore slump, injury plagued season, & traded for late round draft picks.

Seriously tho, never been this optimistic about a Pens goalie before, hope I don't get disappointed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks man, interesting numbers. Being even more bearish, is there any grounds for considering Schneider an outlier and discounting his stats, bringing the percentage down even further?

Gotta say that yeah, that does seriously temper my expectations.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks man, interesting numbers. Being even more bearish, is there any grounds for considering Schneider an outlier and discounting his stats, bringing the percentage down even further?

Gotta say that yeah, that does seriously temper my expectations.

Eh, not really, because you could equally argue that Murray himself is an outlier, since no one outside of Halak can even come close to matching his two-year run in the AHL, and no one other than Cam Ward can match the Cup run.

I personally find it even more worrisome that guys we all know to be elite right now (Holtby, Price, etc.) all had significant troubles getting over the hump until their fourth or fifth year, and then you have a whole other host of goalies that were once thought of as franchise goaltenders suddenly not working out (Varlamov, Niemi, etc.).

To fully believe that Murray will be a lock starting goalie for the Penguins for the next decade..it requires a lot of faith that he'll overcome some pretty dicey odds.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Why wouldn't you include numbers from his time in the NHL or even previous AHL seasons? Restricting data to a single AHL season seems like playing basketball with your hand tied behind your back.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Wait a second, you took all these variables, normalized the results, and created an analysts of variance table to come up with statistical inferences? Impressive dude, very impressive. I personally think hockey is a bit too dynamic to create a statistical model, but I am very impressed on how you went about this, mad props!

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Why wouldn't you include numbers from his time in the NHL or even previous AHL seasons? Restricting data to a single AHL season seems like playing basketball with your hand tied behind your back.

Hockey is a tough sport to predict with probability models IMO (too many variables at play), so I give the OP props for just putting this together. I just look at history.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007

There's even less to work with if I do that. On the NHL side, it's like, Cam Ward and Ken Dryden. Two years of AHL, basically Halak.

You would be entirely justified in concluding that there really isn't anyone who fits the profile of Murray, so let's hope it works out as amazingly as it has so far.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007
Wait a second, you took all these variables, normalized the results, and created an analysts of variance table to come up with statistical inferences? Impressive dude, very impressive. I personally think hockey is a bit too dynamic to create a statistical model, but I am very impressed on how you went about this, mad props!

Thank you; it's literally what I do for a living.

It's also probably what makes me the annoying "MAF isn't that bad/okay everyone, let's be reasonable" guy in the thread. Because, well, MAF *isn't* that bad and we should be reasonable about how young Murray really is.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I wanted to hate the thread when I saw the title, because I don't think it is really meaningful at all to start projecting these numbers.

I do think it was nice work though, and looking at the sample and the diverging paths of the mentioned goalies.... it underlines that you just cannot tell.

And that doesn't just go for young guys. Look at Lehtonen now... two seasons ago he had been holding up a very often VERY poor Dallas D, and having save percentages that looks much like Fleury's (who had MUCH better team and D in front of him), and I remember that many people also thought Lehtonen was at least as good as Fleury (myself included).

Now he is considered someone who is pretty terrible and worse value.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Thank you; it's literally what I do for a living.

It's also probably what makes me the annoying "MAF isn't that bad/okay everyone, let's be reasonable" guy in the thread. Because, well, MAF *isn't* that bad and we should be reasonable about how young Murray really is.
I took a data analysis class in college, so reading your op gave me flashbacks. Good stuff, but I don't put too much weight in regression models to predict hockey (I just think the sport is too dynamic to factor in all the variables). At the same time, very impressed by how you put this together :handclap:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If he can work on his weaknesses like his glove and going down early, he'll be a fantastic goalie.

Gonna be fun to watch him grow and develop. Hopefully he's got a good feel for the NHL speed/shooters.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Eh, not really, because you could equally argue that Murray himself is an outlier, since no one outside of Halak can even come close to matching his two-year run in the AHL, and no one other than Cam Ward can match the Cup run.

I personally find it even more worrisome that guys we all know to be elite right now (Holtby, Price, etc.) all had significant troubles getting over the hump until their fourth or fifth year, and then you have a whole other host of goalies that were once thought of as franchise goaltenders suddenly not working out (Varlamov, Niemi, etc.).

To fully believe that Murray will be a lock starting goalie for the Penguins for the next decade..it requires a lot of faith that he'll overcome some pretty dicey odds.

Okay, cool. Just double checking - I have a very ropey grasp of statistics.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
There's even less to work with if I do that. On the NHL side, it's like, Cam Ward and Ken Dryden. Two years of AHL, basically Halak.

You would be entirely justified in concluding that there really isn't anyone who fits the profile of Murray, so let's hope it works out as amazingly as it has so far.

So, basically, Murray seems to be a total (positive) outlier. Two years of AHL dominance + Cup run.

To me, that is kind of reassuring. At worse, he should be a middle of the road goalie, which Fleury already is - however Murray should a coolness and composure MAF never did.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It doesn't seem like you took into account the differences in league-wide average sv%. The NHL avg sv% in 2008 was .908 and was .915 the last two seasons. Halak's 08-11 sv% of 0.915 may not look as impressive until you see that the league avg during that time period was around 0.911. Not sure about AHL averages?

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Murray is clearly over-rated. How could he not be?

He happened to be the goaltender during the most dominant Cup run by any team in recent memory. The team in front of him went from not looking like a post season participant at mid-season to winning the SC. 60% of that was Sullivan and team speed. Another 30% was MAF playing consistently through coaching changes, injuries (to him and his team) and a lot of doubt about the team's chances in general. 10% was Murray getting lucky due to an injury to MAF and a hell of a hockey team in front of him that in all reality, made his job easy.

Good for him, but I'm not seeing an all-star or a hall of famer just yet. :shakehead

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Murray is clearly over-rated. How could he not be?

He happened to be the goaltender during the most dominant Cup run by any team in recent memory. The team in front of him went from not looking like a post season participant at mid-season to winning the SC. 60% of that was Sullivan and team speed. Another 30% was MAF playing consistently through coaching changes, injuries (to him and his team) and a lot of doubt about the team's chances in general. 10% was Murray getting lucky due to an injury to MAF and a hell of a hockey team in front of him that in all reality, made his job easy.

Good for him, but I'm not seeing an all-star or a hall of famer just yet. :shakehead

You realize that the OP based his analysis on AHL performance mostly? He tried to find comparable players that had comparable performance to Murray in the AHL and THEN, from what they have done in the NHL, tried to project what Murray's progression trajectory might be?

The goal of such an analysis is to make sure we do not put too much stock in what MIGHT be a fluky run (his two-year run in the AHL + his limited time in the NHL tend to say it might be his norm and not a hot streak).

Sure, Murray has his bad moments during our Cup run, but he also did have GREAT moments. Let's not minimize his contribution (let's not overblow it either). He is far from a finished product, there is still a lot of growth to do. Fortunately, what we see NOW is pretty freaking good and can make us hope for a very very bright future.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Baring injury I don't see being anything less than a top 15 starter in the league for at least the next few years (beyond that these things get too hard to predict).

He's just too mentally sound at such a young age and now already has the experience of success most goalies never get at any point in their career.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It doesn't seem like you took into account the differences in league-wide average sv%. The NHL avg sv% in 2008 was .908 and was .915 the last two seasons. Halak's 08-11 sv% of 0.915 may not look as impressive until you see that the league avg during that time period was around 0.911. Not sure about AHL averages?

The other thing is the OP doesn't seem to take into account team effect on the goalies' numbers. For instance, Lehner's numbers drag down the group average, but don't account for the fact he's played for some pretty mediocre defenses during that timeframe listed. First an Ottawa team that was notorious for being bad in their own zone, then a rebuilding Buffalo squad that is still iffy defensively.

I don't think it's unfair to suggest that playing behind a good team could help a goalie's numbers compared to an equivalent goalie's numbers behind a bad team. I mean, I think we can all agree Jeff Zatkoff is a pretty bad goalie. And even he's managed superior numbers to Lehner's over the course of his career (2.66 GAA to Lehner's 2.85, .917 save pct. to Lehner's .914). It's certainly not because Zatkoff's a better goalie than Lehner.

His numbers pull down the overall average of the group, as does Halak's numbers despite the fact the OP is using numbers that back then were much better looking in comparison to the rest of the league, than if someone put up those numbers now.

So if you factor in Halak's numbers relative to the league back then, and look exclusively at the guys who play on teams almost as good or as good as the Pens, you'd get a more accurate picture, IMO.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Heres the thing.
He doesn't need to be a superstar.
He just needs to be as good or better than MAF.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad