Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Perreault

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would be pretty excited to see Sanderson there at 10
Good chance he's there, I think. I'm guessing Ottawa would go for Drysdale if they select a D. Maybe the Wings, but #4 might be a bit high. ANA, NJ, BUF are hungry for scoring talent. I think MIN likely goes for Lundell.

Reactions: ps241

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And what if Sanderson becomes a better player than Samberg and Heinola? What if one day he pushes Morrissey down to the 2nd pairing as a true #1? And we gave that up because we have 2 promising LHD prospects that have yet to establish themselves at this point in time. If we get him at 10 he will be the highest selection out of all of them. There seems to be a lot of talk lately that he will go higher than #10 so I doubt he is available when we pick, but if he is I think the Jets jump all over him.

I'd take Schneider. We have a huge hole on the right side. He could start with the Moose in 2021. If Sanderson did make the team great, but you would have to move players around to get him there. Realistically after watching Heinola play, the kid would be hoping at best to get 3rd pairing minutes in a breakout. And that's with Samberg moving over. I don't think drafting him would address the hole on the right side, unless you want to convert him right off the start. Me I would prefer to draft positionally, rather than BPA. But I understand your point, It's ok not to agree.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'd take Schneider. We have a huge hole on the right side. He could start with the Moose in 2021. If Sanderson did make the team great, but you would have to move players around to get him there. Realistically after watching Heinola play, the kid would be hoping at best to get 3rd pairing minutes in a breakout. And that's with Samberg moving over. I don't think drafting him would address the hole on the right side, unless you want to convert him right off the start. Me I would prefer to draft positionally, rather than BPA. But I understand your point, It's ok not to agree.
We have two LHD that prefer the right side. Maybe we should play our players in the positions they're familiar with before deciding there are holes. Don't know why Maurice is so intent on judging fish on their ability to fly.

Reactions: hn777 and buggs

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have two LHD that prefer the right side. Maybe we should play our players in the positions they're familiar with before deciding there are holes. Don't know why Maurice is so intent on judging fish on their ability to fly.

Who are these LHD who prefer the right side? Niku? OK, that's 1 but he is probably not an NHL'er. Who else you got?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Looking at our RW situation, we have two legit top 6 players, but one is our aging captain, and the other is a young developing shooter that needs to take a next step. Then in our bottom 6 RW, can use a injection of size, defensive chops, and overall impact.

I wouldn’t mind Chevy focusing on the future of our RW position this off-season. If Puljujarvi is available with a reasonable cost, and Jarvis, Quinn, or Mercer is BPA when they draft, I’m all for it.

Reactions: kellhunter

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heinola has said he prefers the right side but isn't picky about which side he's on. He played the right side with Lukko his entire draft year.

OK, I knew he had played the right side, but wasn't aware of it being that much. So he makes 1. Samberg has also played the right side a bit. I don't think he has a preference for it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK, I knew he had played the right side, but wasn't aware of it being that much. So he makes 1. Samberg has also played the right side a bit. I don't think he has a preference for it.

Yeah Samberg, Heinola and Niku have all played the right side at times. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with Samberg being pencilled into the lineup though at this point he hasn't even shown as much as Niku has at the NHL level. Never count your eggs before they hatch.

Reactions: kellhunter

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Looking at our RW situation, we have two legit top 6 players, but one is our aging captain, and the other is a young developing shooter that needs to take a next step. Then in our bottom 6 RW, can use a injection of size, defensive chops, and overall impact.

I wouldn’t mind Chevy focusing on the future of our RW position this off-season. If Puljujarvi is available with a reasonable cost, and Jarvis, Quinn, or Mercer is BPA when they draft, I’m all for it.

Hard to argue against BPA, but I'm kind of hoping that turns out to be a center. It would be nice to develop another 1C or 2C, as it seems very difficult to trade for one.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah Samberg, Heinola and Niku have all played the right side at times. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with Samberg being pencilled into the lineup though at this point he hasn't even shown as much as Niku has at the NHL level. Never count your eggs before they hatch.

I agree. But that's why Samberg is only penciled in, as opposed to written in permanent ink. A lot of people seem to be thinking he will play 2nd pair. I'm fairly optimistic that he will play 3rd pair, but I have been advocating signing both Sbisa and Beaulieu just in case he doesn't make the team at all.

It is pretty common for LHD to have played the right side at one time or another. There is always a shortage of RHS D men - at all levels. That does not indicate a preference. And preference does not guarantee better performance on the preferred side either. Preference can be based simply on familiarity. There are factors of defending on your backhand that can't be erased by any amount of experience or practice. Your backhand is still your backhand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. But that's why Samberg is only penciled in, as opposed to written in permanent ink. A lot of people seem to be thinking he will play 2nd pair. I'm fairly optimistic that he will play 3rd pair, but I have been advocating signing both Sbisa and Beaulieu just in case he doesn't make the team at all.

It is pretty common for LHD to have played the right side at one tome or another. There is always a shortage of RHS D men - at all levels. That does not indicate a preference. And preference does not guarantee better performance on the preferred side either. Preference can be based simply on familiarity. There are factors of defending on your backhand that can't be erased by any amount of experience or practice. Your backhand is still your backhand.

I agree and that's why I'm not super pumped about having to switch one of our guys over and I'm also not set in stone to not draft a lefty because none of our guys are sure bets to be full time NHLers let alone top 4 D. Samberg and Heinola look good but both could still bust and after them the pickings get slimmer and slimmer.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It’s never good to get ahead of ourselves. I would love to grab a guy like Dillon to play in the top 4 so we cover our asses.

Samberg has a few natural “transitional” advantages for the optimists.

He played an extra year in College after the Jets org wanted him to turn pro last off season.

He is going into his draft +4 season so he has been developing for a while already.

He is 6’4” 215 so he is already a physical beast.

He has a history of strong transition to the next level.

His strength is his defending skills

Mostly he is the exact prototype our coach tends to overvalue.

Things that may hold him back.

It’s the NHL and many a promising prospects have fallen short of making this next step.

vetiness

They may want to play him big minutes on the Moose just to develop him more?

Lastly Samberg could be a bit loose or casual with the puck at times in his own end. They may want to clean up that part of his game a bit. That being said it’s not like he would stand out negatively with that flaw on last years Jets D core. All of our million dollar D core were flawed.

Time will tell I guess but I would peg his chances of being on our opening day roster (bottom pairing) at about 70%.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It’s never good to get ahead of ourselves. I would love to grab a guy like Dillon to play in the top 4 so we cover our asses.

Samberg has a few natural “transitional” advantages for the optimists.

He played an extra year in College after the Jets org wanted him to turn pro last off season.

He is going into his draft +4 season so he has been developing for a while already.

He is 6’4” 215 so he is already a physical beast.

He has a history of strong transition to the next level.

His strength is his defending skills

Mostly he is the exact prototype our coach tends to overvalue.

Things that may hold him back.

It’s the NHL and many a promising prospects have fallen short of making this next step.

vetiness

They may want to play him big minutes on the Moose just to develop him more?

Lastly Samberg could be a bit loose or casual with the puck at times in his own end. They may want to clean up that part of his game a bit. That being said it’s not like he would stand out negatively with that flaw on last years Jets D core. All of our million dollar D core were flawed.

Time will tell I guess but I would peg his chances of being on our opening day roster (bottom pairing) at about 70%.

I'd be surprised if Samberg signed with anything less than a guarantee to be in the NHL. Like Connor, or more closer to his age, Copp, going to get paid for leaving college. And he may have saved Chevy's job, because if he walked after being drafted, there would be some questions about our management.

I don't know if he is better suited to the right side or left side. I think it's generally better to bring up a player on their natural side, because NHL skating is better than college, and good players will expose your weakness. I mean I would choose him to play his off side before Beaulieu, but I hope we aren't at that point in RD next year. Which makes Schneider an attractive draft pick.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Find it funny that people are still trying to aggressively draft for need and say we are too stocked at LHD and aren’t even noticing the similarity to the fact they were saying the exact same things about RHD less than 3 years ago.

Things can change fast in the NHL by the time some of these prospects will be ready the rest of our roster composition could look very different.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Find it funny that people are still trying to aggressively draft for need and say we are too stocked at LHD and aren’t even noticing the similarity to the fact they were saying the exact same things about RHD less than 3 years ago.

Things can change fast in the NHL by the time some of these prospects will be ready the rest of our roster composition could look very different.

It's a huge difference, like night and day. We knew this upcoming season would be Buff's last year, and that he was going to be 35+. Well there was a myriad of posters on here saying that our future depended on Trouba signing long-term, a good chunk of us knew that he was getting ready to walk. And then Myers was at the end of his contract too, and realistically we couldn't keep him. So it was known.

Now look at our left side. Morrissey is signed on our left side for 7 years. Heinola hasn't even started playing as a regular, so you could project him for 7 years. Samberg signed this year. Probably have him for 5 years if we want.

That's a long time. So that even if you drafted a LD, and one of our LD didn't pan out, or got injured, the probability (key word) is that defenseman is going to be at best a 3LD, if he develops in 2-3 years. All you really need is some depth on the left side right now. I keep going back to Edmunson because he can play either side, comfortably. And he kills penalties well. Samberg is going to have to probably do that right off the hop. Not sure if Morrissey will be a regular PKer anymore, because of how important he is 5 on 5, and because he may not be able to handle the lumps. If Heinola progresses, that role may change, where we do go back to relying on him to be a top PKer.

Now look at our RD. Pionk is signed on a bridge. Who knows what happens after this upcoming season. Does he sign long term? Do the Jets want to invest in him long term? Poolman is a UFA after this season. Do the Jets invest in him? I'd say maybe a one or two year deal is possible. At the bottom end, Kovacevic is his competition. Kovacevic if he progress, likely gets an NHL contract to compete on the bottom pairing. Gawanke had a really good first year in the A, I'd say he potential beyond what Niku has because of his size. If Poolman walks, the competition might be between Gawanke and Kovacevic for that bottom pair. Depending on Lundmark's progression. The Jets traded for De Melo as a top pairing d-man, but he was only a top pairing d-man on the 2nd worst team in hockey. Is he really a top pairing d-man? Probably should be slotted lower in the lineup. Is he a long term solution too? I'd say that saying the BPA (in most people's mind) can fit by slotting everyone over to the off side to make him fit, is a somewhat optimistic scenario. With Buff gone, and no chance of him coming back, that a top pairing RD might be what we need, in our draft and develop principle.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's a huge difference, like night and day. We knew this upcoming season would be Buff's last year, and that he was going to be 35+. Well there was a myriad of posters on here saying that our future depended on Trouba signing long-term, a good chunk of us knew that he was getting ready to walk. And then Myers was at the end of his contract too, and realistically we couldn't keep him. So it was known.

Now look at our left side. Morrissey is signed on our left side for 7 years. Heinola hasn't even started playing as a regular, so you could project him for 7 years. Samberg signed this year. Probably have him for 5 years if we want.

That's a long time. So that even if you drafted a LD, and one of our LD didn't pan out, or got injured, the probability (key word) is that defenseman is going to be at best a 3LD, if he develops in 2-3 years. All you really need is some depth on the left side right now. I keep going back to Edmunson because he can play either side, comfortably. And he kills penalties well. Samberg is going to have to probably do that right off the hop. Not sure if Morrissey will be a regular PKer anymore, because of how important he is 5 on 5, and because he may not be able to handle the lumps. If Heinola progresses, that role may change, where we do go back to relying on him to be a top PKer.

Now look at our RD. Pionk is signed on a bridge. Who knows what happens after this upcoming season. Does he sign long term? Do the Jets want to invest in him long term? Poolman is a UFA after this season. Do the Jets invest in him? I'd say maybe a one or two year deal is possible. At the bottom end, Kovacevic is his competition. Kovacevic if he progress, likely gets an NHL contract to compete on the bottom pairing. Gawanke had a really good first year in the A, I'd say he potential beyond what Niku has because of his size. If Poolman walks, the competition might be between Gawanke and Kovacevic for that bottom pair. Depending on Lundmark's progression. The Jets traded for De Melo as a top pairing d-man, but he was only a top pairing d-man on the 2nd worst team in hockey. Is he really a top pairing d-man? Probably should be slotted lower in the lineup. Is he a long term solution too? I'd say that saying the BPA (in most people's mind) can fit by slotting everyone over to the off side to make him fit, is a somewhat optimistic scenario. With Buff gone, and no chance of him coming back, that a top pairing RD might be what we need, in our draft and develop principle.

I keep saying it and I'll say it again never count your chickens before they hatch. Samberg and Heinola are not full time NHLers yet and neither of them are guaranteed to be.

Reactions: Sweech

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I voted Sanderson, but as most agree on, he will not be there on the draft day.
I hope a good C will be there aswell, we need good centers in the pole

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Quinn and Jarvis were big risers on Bob McKenzies list, and the Jet's do like taking players who are moving up in the rankings...

I think it would be cool if the Jets on their 10th draft finally drafted a home town player. Jarvis seems to fit our style well, with his speed. Winterhawks program churns out alot of good NHLers. He also fits a time frame when the Jets could have to potentially move on from Laine, and they wouldn't have to replace him in a trade, with an internal solution.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I keep saying it and I'll say it again never count your chickens before they hatch. Samberg and Heinola are not full time NHLers yet and neither of them are guaranteed to be.

I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad