News Article: Problem with a $10M goalie is the league has made that position less dominant

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm just saying, people keep pointing to Price saying you can't build around a goalie and win. Of course you can. But you actually have to do the building part.

McDavid is the best player in the world right now and his team can't even make the playoffs. And that's with Draisatle helping him.

Can you cite recent examples of building around a goalie, and winning cups? By that, I mean making the goalie your undisputed cornerstone, and eating the largest proportion of your salary cap?

I dont think most people will contest that price cant provide a stanley cup in the right situation, but the habs have paid him at level where its implied that he should be a key differentiating factor... To be the type of goalie who can stop a pastarnak or stamkos one timer on the PP more often than the other goalies, or to shut the door on a mcdavid type of player when he blows up the ice and drives to the net more frequently than the other goalies.

I don't think price has done that, or at least not to a level that makes him stand far and away above the other goalies of this league..... And its not necessarily his fault. The position itself does not bode well to superstardom because the average goalie has closed the gap significantly with the top tier names relative to times past.

This is on the habs. They drove themselves into a situation where they had to rely on price to be the guy, and not signing him was not an option, so carey had alot of financial leverage. Not signing him would have been bad optics, and an admission that the team was going nowhere, which this organization never wants to do.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
It has never been a reliable strategy, but it has never stopped a team from winning it all with great tendies.

I view it the same way I do trying to build around a great winger, you need a very complete team to win with both positions as your star player.

You can actually get away with a less than perfect roster if you have a couple of excellent C's and D's as your building blocks. just need other players to get hot at the right time

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You cannot build a virtual moat around a goalie. Whatever is being done in front of him must generate goals. You can not emulate the trapping Devils because one, the rules don’t let it work, and two, that trap actually could generate goals. The raw historical data strongly suggests that teams with less than an average of 3 goals goals a game, give or take a little, in the playoffs do not succeed. You need offense from two D pairings and at least two top lines.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's perfectly fine to pay a goalie that much if he's a legitimately great goalie.

The issue is that Price will be paid 10.5 million in 2026 on the basis that he had a good season in 2014. He's massively overpaid. If he was being paid 6.5 million like before things would be better. Right now though, he's an albatross.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Can you cite recent examples of building around a goalie, and winning cups? By that, I mean making the goalie your undisputed cornerstone, and eating the largest proportion of your salary cap?

I dont think most people will contest that price cant provide a stanley cup in the right situation, but the habs have paid him at level where its implied that he should be a key differentiating factor... To be the type of goalie who can stop a pastarnak or stamkos one timer on the PP more often than the other goalies, or to shut the door on a mcdavid type of player when he blows up the ice and drives to the net more frequently than the other goalies.

I don't think price has done that, or at least not to a level that makes him stand far and away above the other goalies of this league..... And its not necessarily his fault. The position itself does not bode well to superstardom because the average goalie has closed the gap significantly with the top tier names relative to times past.

This is on the habs. They drove themselves into a situation where they had to rely on price to be the guy, and not signing him was not an option, so carey had alot of financial leverage. Not signing him would have been bad optics, and an admission that the team was going nowhere, which this organization never wants to do.
exactly. Bergevin boxed himself in with how much he relied on Price and no player nor their agent is tuning down such an insane contract offer.

its telling that in the Bergevin era, the only notable playoff successes have come against Lindback, Rask and Hamburglar, all of whom were mediocre-to-bad. Bishop, Lundqvist (twice) and Anderson just needed to be competent, not exceptional. Habs have scored 1.8 gpg in the playoffs since the 2014 run.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
exactly. Bergevin boxed himself in with how much he relied on Price and no player nor their agent is tuning down such an insane contract offer.

its telling that in the Bergevin era, the only notable playoff successes have come against Lindback, Rask and Hamburglar, all of whom were mediocre-to-bad. Bishop, Lundqvist (twice) and Anderson just needed to be competent, not exceptional. Habs have scored 1.8 gpg in the playoffs since the 2014 run.
Hanging everything on the goalie has NOT worked. We need a GM with a brain, who knows how to build a TEAM. Our clown hasn't been able to get a #1 centre in 8 years, and hasn't replaced Markov in the past 3 years.............seriously folks, this is a bad GM. He is easily fired by every team in the league by now.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad