Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Detroit is hilariously bad. But I mean they were due to go through this after how long they were successful. Arizona will get it going sooner rather than later, they were really hurt to start the year.

They're really hurt this year. Galxhenyuk has yet to play and Dvorak looks like he'll miss the whole season.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Edler, with a good GM, would get a late first and a prospect. Nilsson/Markstrom would get at least a pick or a prospect. Ditto for Schaller and Leipsic. But we probably get this year version of Jokinen.

It's a shame we don't have a shrewed GM. Despite how much of a meme Sutter is, GMs seem to love his kind of game. If we held salary, I bet we could get a fairly decent return.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's a shame we don't have a shrewed GM. Despite how much of a meme Sutter is, GMs seem to love his kind of game. If we held salary, I bet we could get a fairly decent return.

Absolutely. Just gotta find another Jim Benning out there to overpay and it may work. Now is also a good opportunity to find a buyer for Nilsson with how he's played in his first few starts. Maybe Toronto?

I'd also look at moving one of our defensemen to Edmonton for Puljujarvi. They seem desperate and could be taken advantage of.

Alas....then I remember who our GM is and he probably thinks we're a playoff team again.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I don't think there is much harm holding onto Sutter until next offseason or the 2020 trade deadline. His NTC turns into a modified NTC beginning next season (providing a 15 team list he won't be traded to), and having two years on his deal rather than three years could be seen as a benefit for teams that would prefer a shorter term commitment.

Either way, hopefully Benning is gone before the trade deadline so we can maximize our return on assets like Edler by a competent GM.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They're really hurt this year. Galxhenyuk has yet to play and Dvorak looks like he'll miss the whole season.
Galchenyuk made his debut last night so they're slowly starting to get a bit healthier. Having him, Merkley, Dvorak and Chychrun out to start the year was a massive blow to them getting out to a hot start. But with half decent goaltending I could see them just missing playoffs if they can stay healthy.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
But I mean they were due to go through this after how long they were successful.
They weren't going to get 1st-overall-calibre talent from the sixth/seventh round in consecutive years... again. Datsyuk and then Zetterberg was probably the most insane pair of moonshots in NHL draft history.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They weren't going to get 1st-overall-calibre talent from the sixth/seventh round in consecutive years... again. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were probably the most insane pair of moonshots in NHL draft history.
I completely agree, those 2 picks let them avoid a rebuild post Lidstrom and Yzerman years. But the longevity of success has a price and it is catching up to them now with how bad they are.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Absolutely. Just gotta find another Jim Benning out there to overpay and it may work. Now is also a good opportunity to find a buyer for Nilsson with how he's played in his first few starts. Maybe Toronto?

I'd also look at moving one of our defensemen to Edmonton for Puljujarvi. They seem desperate and could be taken advantage of.

Alas....then I remember who our GM is and he probably thinks we're a playoff team again.

Dorion: hold my beer

Bergivin: challenge accepted

Chiarelli: hey that was my line!

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I forgot about MDZ. We should shelter his minutes and deployment to boost his value; I could see a team offering up a 3rd round pick for him at the trade deadline if he looks like a competent top 4. He looked like a decent top 4 for the first quarter of last season.

I'm ok with holding onto Hutton, Pouliot, and Granlund if they improve this season.
If you get a pick for Granlund, you do that trade.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
With Boeser and Pete injured Im not worried we wont hit rock bottom...to ensure we tank, Tanev/Edler also needs to get injured

Gotta love it when "fans" are openly hoping that one or another of our respected veteran players gets injured. Isn't it cretinous enough to hope that OPPONENTS get injured? Guess not...

Reactions: Nomobo

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Yeah the Coyotes are going to get better. I've watched them a bit and taken a peak at their underlying numbers. Both the numbers and the eye test point to a team that is playing the right way. I mean, they've already started to break out the last couple games after getting shut out in 3 of their first 4, or whatever it was.

Detroit is legitimately very bad. I don't see our team as much different though. The big difference is they haven't had an Edler-Tanev pairing to lean on. Their D is probably the worst in the league. That, and we're getting better goaltending.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Gotta love it when "fans" are openly hoping that one or another of our respected veteran players gets injured. Isn't it cretinous enough to hope that OPPONENTS get injured? Guess not...
Yep. Several people take the whole tank thing way too far. It's kind of twisted. Give your heads a shake.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Yep. Several people take the whole tank thing way too far. It's kind of twisted. Give your heads a shake.

To me the tank crowd are the textbook definition of "bandwagon" fans. Kind of "If this team can't bring me a Cup then I hate them and I hope they all fail miserably and get hurt". One wonders why they are even here at this juncture...

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
To me the tank crowd are the textbook definition of "bandwagon" fans. Kind of "If this team can't bring me a Cup then I hate them and I hope they all fail miserably and get hurt". One wonders why they are even here at this juncture...
I'm not sure bandwagon fans would be making thousands of posts on the dedicated board of a perennial losing club. Like we are talking about people who are analyzing every prospect and player in depth, following every move and report from the team. That is nowhere near "bandwagon". Bandwagon would imply only claiming fandom whilst the team was good.

You literally suggest that critical fans shouldnt be here right now while the team sucks. You are literally asking fans to jump off the bandwagon.

Tank fans are just able to see the forest from the trees. They are willing to accept extreme short term pain (tanking, being worst in the league) in order to reach what they measure to be success. Just because your barometer for success is different doesn't make them less of a fan.

If they weren't fans they wouldn't be here discussing their vision for a roadmap to success. They wouldn't be discussing anything Canucks-related at all.

Lets stop with the notion that only blind acceptance of the team in the current state indicates true fandom. If this board was an echo-chamber, it would be less enjoyable for all of us.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If you get a pick for Granlund, you do that trade.

Would you do a 6th or 7th round pick for Granlund?
I figure having a young player for our bottom 6 that has proven to be capable of scoring goals and can play up and down the lineup would be more valuable than whatever odds a 7th round pick is of panning out (I'm guessing <5%).

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Would you do a 6th or 7th round pick for Granlund?
I figure having a young player for our bottom 6 that has proven to be capable of scoring goals and can play up and down the lineup would be more valuable than whatever odds a 7th round pick is of panning out (I'm guessing <5%).
Yes I would. Players like Granlund you get easily on 1 year deals after the big July 1 signings are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad