Prime Henrik Sedin vs. Current Leon Draisaitl

Who was/is the better player?

• Total voters

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
That's a tough one.

Henrik had some a long prime, so many people will not remember his absolute peak, but at his peak he was unbelievable. Go back to the 09/10 season where he scored 29 goals and 112 total points, that's where you want to focus. Despite Daniel being out for about 20 games he elevated his game while essentially towing two far less than elite forwards along with him. He ended up winning the Art Ross that year and the Hart.

Draisaitl is really good though... It's pretty even to me....

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Prime Henrik I believe gets a little underrated around here, but he only had 3 PPG+ seasons, albeit he missed the mark by one point twice as well. When I think of post lockout superstars, I have the sedin's in the second tier behind crosby, ovi, malkin, thornton, datsyuk.

I'd probably take current Draisatl over prime H. Sedin just because of his goal scoring ability. H. Sedin only scored more than 20 twice in his nearly 20 year career.

Reactions: CTZ181

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Henrik Sedin with McDavid would have been unreal. People underrate the importance of teammates. The year Henrik won Hart + Art Ross Daniel missed a lot of the season and Henrik was the top dog which Drai isn't at the Oilers.

Reactions: Voight

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
Wouldnt the better choice of words be peak over prime?

prime includes longevity which Draisaitl hasnt accumulated yet

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Lol this place literally just looks at hockey DB, Draisaitl absolutely sucks defensively like one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. Prime Henrik Sedin led the NHL in assists 3 years in a row had the second best GF % in the league behind only Datsyuk and won a Hart and Art Ross against peak Crosby and Ovechkin.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
This is a good comparison...I remember back when Draisatl was in junior, there was a lot in his game that reminded me of Henrik. The playmaking, the way he controlled the play from the half-wall on the powerplay, the way he could feather a pass through to a guy you wouldn't even think he'd know was there.

Of course it's tough to take Henrik himself away from the chemistry he had with his line with his brother and guess what he'd be doing in isolation. Asides from Henrik some other guys who I see sometimes in Draisatl's game are Rick Nash and Marian Hossa, even a little of Jagr. He's that same sort of puck-protecting skilled euro-style power forward, and then he has the hands and vision to be a playmaker like Henrik was as well. I've always been a big fan of the Sedins but if we were picking teams playground-style I'd pick Draisatl.

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
This is a good comparison...I remember back when Draisatl was in junior, there was a lot in his game that reminded me of Henrik. The playmaking, the way he controlled the play from the half-wall on the powerplay, the way he could feather a pass through to a guy you wouldn't even think he'd know was there.

Of course it's tough to take Henrik himself away from the chemistry he had with his line with his brother and guess what he'd be doing in isolation. Asides from Henrik some other guys who I see sometimes in Draisatl's game are Rick Nash and Marian Hossa, even a little of Jagr. He's that same sort of puck-protecting skilled euro-style power forward, and then he has the hands and vision to be a playmaker like Henrik was as well. I've always been a big fan of the Sedins but if we were picking teams playground-style I'd pick Draisatl.

Never heard this before, I like it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Draisaitl. He can pretty much sweep the big awards, and do it without his twin brother by his side. He brings an imposing size quality to the table, and far more goal-scoring acumen, which counts for something.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Draisaitl. He can pretty much sweep the big awards, and do it without his twin brother by his side. He brings an imposing size quality to the table, and far more goal-scoring acumen, which counts for something.
Yeah can he do it without arguably the most gifted ice hockey player of all time by his side ?

Reactions: sufferer

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
That's what he did last year, yes.
What’s the sample size? Because Henrik Sedin produced without his brother the year he won the Hart Trophy. He also did that while not being one of the worst defensive players in the league had games with Kevin Bieksa as his winger, helped his team with his division and a round in the playoffs.

Draisaitl winning this poll is just laughable guy is literally in the one percentile for defensive play, he’s nowhere near the complete player peak Sedin was.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
“The goal scorer” being the tie breaker here instead of one yielding top 3 two/way results in the league and the other guy being one of the worst defensive players in the league is frankly absurd.

Henrik Sedin in 2010 scored the most even strength points in a season since Mario in his prime, had a CF% of 56 % GF % of 65 %.

Draisait last season had a Cf % of 48% and a Gf % just a tad over 50%. The net difference in goal differential between these two players in their peak season was a +43 for Henrik Sedin.

It’s like asking would you rather win a game 6-2 or 8-7.

Reactions: Caboose

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
There are only two players in NHL history who have lead the league in assists more than Henrik Sedin (who did it in three consecutive seasons): Gretzky and Orr. The guy beat out prime Crosby and Ovechkin for the Hart/Ross and saw the game like almost no other player in the last 20 years. Some of the plays he pulled off with Daniel were astounding.

He gets my vote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad