Player Discussion Prime Alfie vs. Prime Karlsson

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Alfie was the best player on the best line in hockey for a while, but in his best year, both Jagr and Thornton were absolute monsters.

However, during his peak from 2005-2008 he was 5th in pts per game, behind only Spezza, Ovechkin, Crosby, and Thornton while easily being the best defensive player out of the group, and providing top tier leadership/intangibles. He also had the second most goals and goals per game (OV obviously ran away with that one).

His peak was extremely good and while perhaps not the best player in the league, likely merited to be in the conversation more than he ever was.

Before he got injured in 08 he was leading the league in points too, you could probably argue he was up there for the best player in the league.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
A little bit doom and gloom around the Sens board lately so I decided to look up Alfie and see what was going on. He had 2 interviews relatively recently, 1 about the late Bryan Murray and other hockey related topics and another about tennis match. Interesting to see he's been more active as of late. (here's a link https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1187395)

One day I would love for the Sens to be sold and Alfie be hired as President of Hockey Ops, it would fit far to well.

A man can dream

(btw I didn't know which thread to post in and this was the closest I could find Alfie related)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Karlsson .. not close for me. I liked Alphie better as a leader but ... Karlsson is on another level talent wise.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd argue that Hasek is more talented than Karlsson. Hasek was the best hockey player on the planet in the late 90's. Obviously, the Hasek the Sens got wasn't anywhere close to the Karlsson that played for the Senators since Hasek was past his prime.

On the ice, I take Karlsson over Alfredsson. It's hard to judge anything beyond that because I am not in the room.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd argue that Hasek is more talented than Karlsson. Hasek was the best hockey player on the planet in the late 90's. Obviously, the Hasek the Sens got wasn't anywhere close to the Karlsson that played for the Senators since Hasek was past his prime.

On the ice, I take Karlsson over Alfredsson. It's hard to judge anything beyond that because I am not in the room.

Ugh Hasek. If it wasn't for that lockout, and the Olympics . . . that was when the Senators had their best shot.

That and the loss to Jersey in the conference finals . . . two most bitter memories as a sens fan.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Alfie was also revered for basically being a Swiss Army knife.

Need to score a game winner...
Need to dominate possession in the offensive zone...
Need this cold line to produce...
Need a goalscorer for this playmaker...
Need a playmaker for this goalscorer...
Need somebody to steal the puck in our end and break the game open...
Need to shut down the opposition...
Need to kill a 5-on-3...
Need an energy shift to wake the team up...
Need a PP QB...

... throw Alfie over the boards.

Literally the definition of our 07 cup run. I felt like Alfy did everything that year to win... 1 man wrecking crew.

To answer the question, its Alfy. Karlsson is a close 2nd and Stone is 3rd (just wish the latter 2 had longer Sens careers to compare........)

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Literally the definition of our 07 cup run. I felt like Alfy did everything that year to win... 1 man wrecking crew.

To answer the question, its Alfy. Karlsson is a close 2nd and Stone is 3rd (just wish the latter 2 had longer Sens careers to compare........)

No way is Stone top 3 or even top 5. He has never in his life been as good as the versions of Spezza, Chara, Hossa, Yashin, or Heatley that played for Ottawa. Stone is more like Redden level, which is good, but we're talking about top 10 scorers and guys who got major award consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad