Player Discussion Prime Alfie vs. Prime Karlsson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have no doubt that Karlsson is the most talented player ever to have played as a Senator (with great talents that have also included brief stopovers by legends like Dominic Hasek).

Alfie is the unanimous career great Senator of all-time (Karlsson just turned 26).

Where Karlsson brings sheer talent, Alfie brought a certain pedigree (hence the title of God by many in the city) when it mattered the most.

So, if you had to chose one or the other in their prime (for argument's sake lets assume we are seeing the best prime years of EK already), who would you pick?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its god as of right now ,he has just done more for the franchise .Ek is 2nd though and still can pass/tie him though.Regardless both players our two of the greatest sens ever

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Where Karlsson brings sheer talent, Alfie brought a certain pedigree (hence the title of God by many in the city) when it mattered the most.

Alfie was also revered for basically being a Swiss Army knife.

Need to score a game winner...
Need to dominate possession in the offensive zone...
Need this cold line to produce...
Need a goalscorer for this playmaker...
Need a playmaker for this goalscorer...
Need somebody to steal the puck in our end and break the game open...
Need to shut down the opposition...
Need to kill a 5-on-3...
Need an energy shift to wake the team up...
Need a PP QB...

... throw Alfie over the boards.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Why would you do this to my brain and heart?

Sorry, I was meaning to post it for a while, finally with absolutely no Sens news or development I figured this is the right time to test the disciples.

I voted Karlsson, I believe he will surpass Alfie as the greatest (although Alfie is more of an all-rounder than just being a hockey talent for this franchise).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Need to kill a 5-on-3...
Need a PP QB...

Yep ,he would easily have been considered as a instant HOF guy if he has played on a better team early in his career .He was our Shane Doan

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Need to kill a 5-on-3...
Need a PP QB...

:-( .....miss this legend on my team.

This guy played with legends of hockey from the 80s, 90s, the new millennium...hence he was severely underrated. Everything they say about Jonathan Toews, Alfie was it.

If this version of the Sens had an Alfie in the roster, this team will be in the same tier as Tampa Bay.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'd like to think we have not witnessed prime EK yet... So I take Alfie right now

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Depends on the situation, but I think if I have the choice between deploying prime Alfie and an NHL-average defenceman or an NHL-average forward and prime Karlsson, I probably go for the latter.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Yep ,he would easily have been considered as a instant HOF guy if he has played on a better team early in his career .He was our Shane Doan

Diss. Doan is poor poor man's Alfie for the Coyotes, great team guy, leader, leading franchise scorer...but no where close to Alfie in terms of pedigree/career. I know you probably didn't mean it like that, but I feel compelled to take a shower after that comparison.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Depends on the situation, but I think if I have the choice between deploying prime Alfie and an NHL-average defenceman or an NHL-average forward and prime Karlsson, I probably go for the latter.
Why did you have to do that ???now iam rethinking my stance on not picking EK.....:cry:I dont want to choose against Alfie :cry::cry:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Diss. Doan is poor poor man's Alfie for the Coyotes, great team guy, leader, leading franchise scorer...but no where close to Alfie in terms of pedigree/career. I know you probably didn't mean it like that, but I feel compelled to take a shower after that comparison.
Sorry not what i meant ,more of the loyality thing .He stayed though some pretty bleak times with us :handclap:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Stop making me choose which of my kids is my favorite.

Honestly, I expected some ribbing like this for this thread. Quiet frankly, it can go both ways, especially since one has finished his career with some high notes with the Sens while the other is active and playing with some "poor" rosters (in comparison to the teams Alfie led) but has yet to hit prime years.

By the age Alfie decided to join the league, Karlsson had already won his first Norris at 23...

:naughty:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'm not going to vote, as I love EK too and he still has a lot of career left to go... but younger fans should understand the things that made Alfie special.

Point on the PP.
Some people will complain about the Pominville goal, but did they know this?
2003-2006 every year Ottawa's PP was top-3. I don't think it ever finished higher than 10th without Alfie on the point.
In 2003, he had 33 PP points. His PP points would have ranked him 32nd in overall d-scoring (their entire season, not just PP). Niedermayer had 39 total points, Markov 37.

In 2004, he had 38 PP points. Good for 23rd in d-man scoring behind this Lidstrom guy who also had 38 points through his entire season. Boyle had 39, Zubov had 42.

In 2006, Alfie had 48 PP points. Good for 18th in d-man scoring behind Phaneuf and Rafalski who each had 49.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I'm not going to vote, as I love EK too and he still has a lot of career left to go... but younger fans should understand the things that made Alfie special.

Point on the PP.
Some people will complain about the Pominville goal, but did they know this?
2003-2006 every year Ottawa's PP was top-3. I don't think it ever finished higher than 10th without Alfie on the point.
In 2003, he had 33 PP points. His PP points would have ranked him 32nd in overall d-scoring (their entire season, not just PP). Niedermayer had 39 total points, Markov 37.

In 2004, he had 38 PP points. Good for 23rd in d-man scoring behind this Lidstrom guy who also had 38 points through his entire season. Boyle had 39, Zubov had 42.

In 2006, Alfie had 48 PP points. Good for 18th in d-man scoring behind Phaneuf and Rafalski who each had 49.

Ahem, cop out.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's Karlsson and to be honest it's not even close. Alfredsson was a marvelous player but he was never at any point that I can recall considered arguably the best player in the league. Karlsson is one of the most stellar talents to play on the blueline in God knows how long. AND he doesn't have the benefit of playing in the new rules post 04-05 lockout. AND he doesn't have the benefit of playing with a couple of guys like Spezza and Heatley in their prime. Also, a lot of the things Alfredsson is credited for didn't come until late in his career here. The 2007 playoffs was probably the single deciding factor in management not trading him away. People often forget how often Alfredsson was mentioned as being an underachiever for this team when it mattered.

Reactions: Cosmix

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'd take Karlsson.

Wasn't there a hate fest or that a large portion of the fanbase wanted Alfredsson traded before labeling him as a 'god'? Craig Conroy?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad