Player Discussion Price's contract ( Poll ):good or bad

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Would've loved to see a discount but he more than earned this. It's a standard superstar contract and he's shown himself to be invaluable to this team. I'm fine with this deal.

And for the record, the reaction here was pretty much the same when he signed his last contract. That turned out to be a huge bargain. I'm pretty sure people will forget all about what he's making when he takes to the ice again next year and dominates as per usual.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price has not proven he has been a winner, so he doesn't deserve this contract.
Only four teams have won cups in the past decade. If you think only players have who've won cups can get 10 mil contracts, you're out to lunch.

John Tavares will get 10+ next year having won nothing and Price has been much more of an impact player than he's been. Believe it or not, you actually have to pay your stars.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I doubt any NHL team would have given him that contract next summer if he became a free agent. Only the Canucks come to mind as a possibility. Maybe the Red Wings. So there wouldn't have been that much competition. What was the rush?

I could live with it if he was 25 years old. He'll be 31 once this kicks in. It's one of the dumbest contracts in NHL history if the cap stagnates like this year. Bergevin must think it's going up big time with Vegas in the fold and then a possible 32nd team.

THIS is what I don't get with MB. Bad personnel management Everytime he signs a player early it bites us in the butt. Pleks, DD, Emelin, Shaw then he plays hardball and wait till the 11 hour and we lose other players that should have been signed early or at least midseason. Why didn't he just resign Markov in january for 2 years at 5 million. Likely could have got it done. Uggh

I hate this contract when viewed from OUR TEAM. We have so many other things that need to be addressed and this didn't need to be done till at least january...

I am looking at watching other teams this year. DOn't even care who, but I have invested too much time and emotion into a BORING product that with this weekend became likely the most boring team since NJD circa 2001. MB thinks all you have to do is trap and keep it to perimeter shots.
I guess he forgot his own words. "Lucky bounces and puck luck" Will always beat even a stellar goalie. 9 million 5 years GREAT AWESOME. 10.5 for 8 years is a trainwreck. Why are we signing past prime players to contracts that should be going to mid 20's guys that have shown to be star level players. I said star player Bergie, A SHaw is not a star player either. This is the kind of contract that makes it impossible to build a good team. You need everyone to take a little water in their whine-but why would you on a team like this.

Time to start cheering for the leafs at this point. At least they have a hope of seeing a cup before I hit 50.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
As usual and predictable our merry band of shrill haters are having a good day with this.

24h ago: "Waaa, Bergevin is crap, Price will leave next year to go to a real winner we're goin to suck"

Now: "Waaa, Bergevin is crap, the contract is too long we're going to suck (but give Radulov and Markov whatever they want)"

For my part I'll decline to answer the poll. On one hand I do not think paying that kind of money to ANY goalie is a bad idea, especially since Price can't be expected to play more than 65 games if we want to keep him healthy.

On the other hand, he's the linchpin of the team's marketing, which is without a doubt worth much more than 10M$ per year. Even beyond cap considerations, the Habs WILL get they money's worth out of CP for a while.

Many years ago I would have traded him for a kings' ransom and kept Halak, which I still think would have been the best way to get the maximum value in the long term. Was I right or was I wrong? We'll probably never know. What we can be sure of is that at the end of this contract Price will be the Habs all-time leader for goalies in games played, wins... and losses. That's good value too.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
THIS is what I don't get with MB. Bad personnel management Everytime he signs a player early it bites us in the butt. Pleks, DD, Emelin, Shaw then he plays hardball and wait till the 11 hour and we lose other players that should have been signed early or at least midseason. Why didn't he just resign Markov in january for 2 years at 5 million. Likely could have got it done. Uggh

I hate this contract when viewed from OUR TEAM. We have so many other things that need to be addressed and this didn't need to be done till at least january...

I am looking at watching other teams this year. DOn't even care who, but I have invested too much time and emotion into a BORING product that with this weekend became likely the most boring team since NJD circa 2001. MB thinks all you have to do is trap and keep it to perimeter shots.
I guess he forgot his own words. "Lucky bounces and puck luck" Will always beat even a stellar goalie. 9 million 5 years GREAT AWESOME. 10.5 for 8 years is a trainwreck. Why are we signing past prime players to contracts that should be going to mid 20's guys that have shown to be star level players. I said star player Bergie, A SHaw is not a star player either. This is the kind of contract that makes it impossible to build a good team. You need everyone to take a little water in their whine-but why would you on a team like this.

Time to start cheering for the leafs at this point. At least they have a hope of seeing a cup before I hit 50.

he could get Markov for that now but no team has offered him 2 years. Why sign Markov in January and have his knee blow-out in Feb?
I get it for young players but not older ones. Radulov reportedly wanted 8M in February...should MB have resigned him then? If you can switch to a team like the Leafs that easily then you are not a true fan IMO.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Best at his position, paid such.
No team ever gave that money to a netminder, but no other team has Carey Price on its roster either.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

I dont dislike the contract. Carey would get that from any team he played on. What I dislike but am getting used to is the Habs are the new leafs.

The talk is all about how and how not to run the team.

MB is the face of the franchise. Not Carey Price or Shea Weber.

Go Pens

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Only four teams have won cups in the past decade. If you think only players have who've won cups can get 10 mil contracts, you're out to lunch.

John Tavares will get 10+ next year having won nothing and Price has been much more of an impact player than he's been. Believe it or not, you actually have to pay your stars.

Tavares might even get more than Price.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There is no way Price is worth $10.5M in the last couple of years, so you think giving him this contract would signal that we're going for it in the next few years.... but then we don't sign Markov or Radulov, but we do sign Alzner.

Bergevin makes NO sense.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
The salary cap went from 50 M $ to 75 M $ now. If people continue to buy tickets and watch games for that kind of show, and we see the salary cap grow at the same pace as over the last 10 years, then this deal is just right for Bergevin and Price. Molson is taking the risk. Bergevin is now tied to this strategy (building around Price). Now get the popcorn out.

Best scenario IMO would be 2 years drafting in the top 5, then having the young forwards ready in 4 years for Price last 4 seasons in the NHL.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Would've loved to see a discount but he more than earned this. It's a standard superstar contract and he's shown himself to be invaluable to this team. I'm fine with this deal.

And for the record, the reaction here was pretty much the same when he signed his last contract. That turned out to be a huge bargain. I'm pretty sure people will forget all about what he's making when he takes to the ice again next year and dominates as per usual.

This board is always reactionary, so I'm hardly surprised by the outcry. There are still people who subscribe to the, "I'd play in the NHL for $1M! How much money do people need?"

It's also curious to me that a lot of posters believe that goaltending is the lowliest position and never warrants the salary that all other positions command. It's an almost universally accepted bias in hockey. Are an all-star goalie's skills less finely honed or remarkable than other players? Are his responsibilities lesser or does he play fewer minutes?

Price is indisputably one of, if not the best, goalies in the league and should be paid like a top player. The much bigger issue is the myriad of lesser players like Shaw (nothing against him personally) being overpaid by 30%, not the superstars.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

It's hilarious that this is the reaction in hindsight from many of Bergevin's staunchest critics.

Here is the original reaction less than two years ago to Plekanec's extension.

Some of the posts, including from some of the posters in this thread:

Good news.

AWESOME !

Glad he's getting his payday. Most underrated Hab in years.

Much rather pay more for a shorter term, great deal.

I'm glad he's staying with us and people can stop throwing arguably our most underrated player into trade proposals. The term and money is great.

Wow. Did not expect this! Amazing deal. Seriously, Plekanec just accepted a 2 year deal worth, what, 11 million? He could've easily signed a guaranteed 30 million dollar deal (at minimum) when he hit UFA. That's freakin crazy.

Holy cow! That's a solid deal for everyone involved. How the hell do you only commit 2 years for an upcoming UFA? That money will come off the books just in time to double Price's salary. Pleks would have gotten $6-$7 mil over 5+ years on the open market.

That's just the first page. I guess being a GM must be pretty hard with such a fickle fanbase.

That last one is hilarious from waffledave. He was SPOT on and is now bashing MB for it. :sarcasm:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As usual and predictable our merry band of shrill haters are having a good day with this.

24h ago: "Waaa, Bergevin is crap, Price will leave next year to go to a real winner we're goin to suck"

Now: "Waaa, Bergevin is crap, the contract is too long we're going to suck (but give Radulov and Markov whatever they want)"

That's entirely false. You created this false narrative, as if people contradict themselves by using people as a hive mind.

Please find ONE poster who actually said both those things. It is telling when his defenders go as low as to invent false contradictions.

Go look at the "Price comes in high" thread. I stated I wanted Bergevin to trade him, even if the return would be underwhelming. I wanted to trade him 2 years ago because it was easy to foresee this happening. And don't get me wrong, always been a Price fan.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

With this deal its clear management's goal is only to make the playoffs. So yeah for business its great. Carey has been indeed a top goalie on avg in the regular season and hes by far gonna give us more chances to get into the playoffs than any other top Center in the league.

As long as he stays healthy and/or doesnt go threw a midlife crisis. (Thats alot to ask)

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Theodore didn't receive an eight year, no trade contract at thirty-one years-old.

Instead of signing Price, I would have traded him to fill some of our desperate needs. How many of the last 25-30 SC champions won with the best goalie. Almost all of them had top notch centers.

Only on HFboards I guess would Patrick Roy, Tim Thomas, Jonathan Quick, Cam Ward, JS Giguere, MA Fleury, Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Dominik Hasek, Bill Ranford, Tom Barrasso, Mike Richter not be a who's who of elite goaltending. They have about 19 Stanley Cups.. We'll likely be able to add Matt Murray to that discussion. I've left off the perennially underrated Chris Osgood x2.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It's hilarious that this is the reaction in hindsight from many of Bergevin's staunchest critics.

Here is the original reaction less than two years ago to Plekanec's extension.

Some of the posts, including from some of the posters in this thread:

That's just the first page. I guess being a GM must be pretty hard with such a fickle fanbase.

That last one is hilarious from waffledave. He was SPOT on and is now bashing MB for it. :sarcasm:

For me, I didn't want pleks on the team when we had him, much like max at present. So no it wouldn't make sense to extend someone you feel is not needed and likely to decline. Let alone for a massive raise as our highest paid forward. Gee he sure did prove me wrong last season though :shakehead

I also think an 8 year contract to price is ridiculous. If it was 4 or 5 years at 10.5 Fine. 8 years though? 8 years at 9M would be fine, we have too many bad contracts as it is so that extra 1.5 is terrible given Alzners signing and Shaw from last year. Pleks maybe coming off the books in 2 years but that money was suppose to help replace him at #2C The remaining 2 million isn't much to get a second line center.

Team is starting worse next year than this, fact. No markov, no nate, no radulov. We don't even know who our 3rd C is...Shaw? Man this team is built so badly and now has a pile of terrible contracts that even the next GM wont be able to get rid of. And you guys will be in here saying "look even the new GM sucks" yeah of course because he has several contracts that don't end till 2023-2026.

Why are we locking up guys that are older. and bridging young players? Then when they prove they are worth the money its hardball time. Price named his price to continue to hold this team together. MB caved in on everything. Happy for price, but sucks for this team. NTC also makes this a pretty terrible deal.

MAYBE if you spent more time reading why we don't like the moves instead of just seeing it as bashing, you might understand nuance in our arguments. I gave him props on the drouin deal in and of itself. But as I said at the time, "Depends on what MB does in the following 2 weeks" Well 2 weeks have passed and it handcuffed the team pretty badly with our LD situation as it stands now. Its a good signing but we need a 1C and Drouin isn't it. I also don't think he is any better than chuck so why is he so hyped around here.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Voted no, but I'd much rather have Price at 10,5M than Toews at the same AAV.
Agreed............what everyone seems to have an issue with is the money and term, but he is our BEST player, so we had to pay...his agent had MB over a barell, the year he was injured, we couldn't beat anyone...it was awful, beyond awful...not to mention the organization has spent 3-4 seasons telling the world he is the best goalie.........................so we had to pony up!!

Toews at 10.5 is beyond a joke...he is nowhere near that contract, but he did win Cups, so it's more for what he did...than he is currently doing, or will in the future...talk about an awful contract...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Best at his position, paid such.
No team ever gave that money to a netminder, but no other team has Carey Price on its roster either.

It will be very interesting to see just how low he can go in terms of GAA under CJ.
There is no doubt our management thinks keeping the puck out of the net is the answer. My only real problem with that is once the post season starts any of the top goaltenders can and will negate the Price factor. The proof is in the pudding when we can't get by a mediocre low scoring Rangers squad. We don't have the guy who can score those killer goals because our sniper becomes a sleeper who is easily blanketed.

I don't begrudge Carey his money but I don't think the deal helps us escape mediocrity.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I would pay that much for a Top 5 player in any position -- except goaltender. Recent history shows you can easily win the cup with an average goalie, and furthermore looking at the last 8 Cups or so, only Quick was truly elite.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I would pay that much for a Top 5 player in any position -- except goaltender. Recent history shows you can easily win the cup with an average goalie, and furthermore looking at the last 8 Cups or so, only Quick was truly elite.

It's not with an average goalie, it's with good goalies that play very well in the playoffs. Murray/Crawford/Quick/Thomas/Fleury are far from "average".

The correct statement would be, you don't have to have the best goalie in the league but you need a strong goalie that elevates his game come playoff time.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

That's where many Fans got it all wrong.

Recent history shows that you can't win the cup without a game changer.
Someone, who by himself, can change the outcome of a game.....once every 3-4-5 games.
They always help, but from time to time, they turn a loss into win (You know, when the team completely suck and still get a win)

It's still a team's game but Price is a game changer and i really don't care which position it's coming from.
The more you have, the better chances you get.

Habs fans are dreaming about Tavares....but did he brought a poor team to the ECF once in his life?
But still, they would give him 10M any day of the week.
Will they say, wow, 10 millions for a guy who never won anything?

Having said that....in Montreal we focus so hard on getting that top center only because we can. Many, if not most team, focus on getting a better goaltender.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
It's not with an average goalie, it's with good goalies that play very well in the playoffs. Murray/Crawford/Quick/Thomas/Fleury are far from "average".

The correct statement would be, you don't have to have the best goalie in the league but you need a strong goalie that elevates his game come playoff time.
fair enough. I would characterize most of those guys as good goalies (~5M range) on great teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad