Player Discussion Price's contract ( Poll ):good or bad

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The rush was that they want to extend him and Price wants to stay here. And if it wasn't done this summer, the distraction would be immense. Stamkos was grilled and he was in Tampa. Magnify that distraction by 50 and you'll get what it would be like around these parts.

Yeah I can tell he wants to stay here by making himself the highest paid player in the league with Kane and Toews. Except those two actually brought meaningful hardware to a floundering franchise. There's zero indication in signing this contract that he has some kind of affinity for Montreal, that's the problem.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah I can tell he wants to stay here by making himself the highest paid player in the league with Kane and Toews. Except those two actually brought meaningful hardware to a floundering franchise. There's zero indication in signing this contract that he has some kind of affinity for Montreal, that's the problem.

So the only way he will show how much he loves the city is by taking less money? Instead of looking solely at the dollar figures, how about you look at him signing for 8 years to tell you he wants to stay here.

And as for Toews and Kane, they won Cups, sure. But that has nothing to do with how much you want to stay with a team. They still signed for the same amount. If they really loved their city and team, they'd sign for less as well.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I like the deal just fine, but he wo't end up in the top-2. Perhaps over Dryden because of longevity I guess, but he needs to win a few cups/hardwares

Well a goalie can only do so much...........he aint going to score 50 goals for you.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So the only way he will show how much he loves the city is by taking less money? Instead of looking solely at the dollar figures, how about you look at him signing for 8 years to tell you he wants to stay here.

And as for Toews and Kane, they won Cups, sure. But that has nothing to do with how much you want to stay with a team. They still signed for the same amount. If they really loved their city and team, they'd sign for less as well.

They deserved their contracts and would have been paid the same or more on the open market. I don't believe for a second that Price would have been given the same contract by any other team.

And I don't care that Carey Price will be here until 38/39 years old, in fact I'm dreading it. He's going to fall off a cliff at some point.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Im happy.........there will be no distractions......done deal.
Price will be the best goalie to ever wear the CH.

I understand it's different eras, but I'll wait until he wins 7 vezinas & Stanley Cups and a Hart trophy or 2 cups and Conn Smythes before labellng him the greatest habs goaltender of all-time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They deserved their contracts and would have been paid the same or more on the open market. I don't believe for a second that Price would have been given the same contract by any other team.

And I don't care that Carey Price will be here until 38/39 years old, in fact I'm dreading it. He's going to fall off a cliff at some point.

Whether deserved or not, they didn't seem to care for Chicago either if you only look at dollar figures alone. If it's good to criticize Price's "care for Montreal" because he'll be getting paid this much, you can criticize Toews, Kane, and Kopitar. And you should also criticize McDavid when he hits the jackpot.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I understand it's different eras, but I'll wait until he wins 7 vezinas & Stanley Cups and a Hart trophy or 2 cups and Conn Smythes before labellng him the greatest habs goaltender of all-time.

Yep that's why I said he will be...........

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
MB won't give 6M per over 6/7 years to Rad at 31 years old which would put him at 37/38 years old yet he'll give 10.5 M to a goalie who will be 31 when the 8 year contract starts and who has shown to have a wonky knee and quite honestly has been outplayed by most goalies he faced in the playoffs. And to complicate the deal even further he gives Price a no trade clause.

During the regular season which lasts 82 games Price has shown himself to be the best in the league but when the playoffs come around he was second best many, many times.

Seeing as this contract is 8 years and that MB admitted at the PC he had a good idea of Price's money and term what the hell is this moron doing drafting goalie after goalie? As of today we got: Primeau, Hawkey, Niven, Fucale and Lindgren. If all or some of these goalies develop he'll never be able to get full value in a trade because they'll never be in a position to show what they can do as a NHL starting goalie. This contract shows that he sees Price as a Canadien for the next nine years, wouldn't he have been better served using those picks on prospects that fill glaring needs?

Again this move shows me that MB has a myopic vision that goes no further than his nose.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
While it is a risk to sign him that much over that many years; there is little doubt he would have got it in as a UFA next year. Franchise players need to be kept and built around. This signing is also a commitment that the team wants to win which will hopefully attract more players here.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
While it is a risk to sign him that much over that many years; there is little doubt he would have got it in as a UFA next year. Franchise players need to be kept and built around. This signing is also a commitment that the team wants to win which will hopefully attract more players here.

Price probably would not have gotten that much on the open market. He's very good, but he's just a goaltender, and he had a down season (assuming he's not simply declining).

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was expecting 9.5M thinking he would accept a bit less to give Bergevin more flexibility but 10,5M is his fair value on the market.. Thats alot for a goaltender but if ever one of our goaltender prospects show some real promise as a quality NHL starter, Im pretty sure you have a bunch of teams queuing for Price even at 10.5M per year, so thats not that bad IMO.

Yes it is. He also gave him a no trade clause.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
MB won't give 6M per over 6/7 years to Rad at 31 years old which would put him at 37/38 years old yet he'll give 10.5 M to a goalie who will be 31 when the 8 year contract starts and who has shown to have a wonky knee and quite honestly has been outplayed by most goalies he faced in the playoffs. And to complicate the deal even further he gives Price a no trade clause.

During the regular season which lasts 82 games Price has shown himself to be the best in the league but when the playoffs come around he was second best many, many times.

Seeing as this contract is 8 years and that MB admitted at the PC he had a good idea of Price's money and term what the hell is this moron doing drafting goalie after goalie? As of today we got: Primeau, Hawkey, Niven, Fucale and Lindgren. If all or some of these goalies develop he'll never be able to get full value in a trade because they'll never be in a position to show what they can do as a NHL starting goalie. This contract shows that he sees Price as a Canadien for the next nine years, wouldn't he have been better served using those picks on prospects that fill glaring needs?

Again this move shows me that MB has a myopic vision that goes no further than his nose.

Just to add to the rest of your post (which I agree with), even beyond the NTC, the contract is very probably untradeable, even if Carey were to waive. We don't know what the bonus structure is but 83% of the contract is payable in bonuses. It's very likely we won't be able to offload it for any reason. Buyouts could also potentially give no relief. If things go wrong there's two ways out from under the contract for the habs: new CBA buyouts or Robidas Island.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

Price has a very easy comparable contract in Lundqvist. It's hard to deny Carey what Lundqvist is getting. Carey's will be below 14% of the cap when we know what next years cieling will be. Lundqvist got 13.22 %.

Radulov' demands meanwhile are outside of his comparable in my opinion. And apparently it's not just MB who has issues paying Rads as despite being the likely best free agent forward available, he's still unsigned...

Eerily similar comment as when we drafted Price 5th overall just after Theodore won the Vezina.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Price probably would not have gotten that much on the open market. He's very good, but he's just a goaltender, and he had a down season (assuming he's not simply declining).

I bet he would. Price is not just an ordinary goaltender.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Just to add to the rest of your post (which I agree with), even beyond the NTC, the contract is very probably untradeable, even if Carey were to waive. We don't know what the bonus structure is but 83% of the contract is payable in bonuses. It's very likely we won't be able to offload it for any reason. Buyouts could also potentially give no relief. If things go wrong there's two ways out from under the contract for the habs: new CBA buyouts or Robidas Island.

Why do you think Bonuses would be any more difficult to trade than Salary? If anything, it should make it easier imo. Signing Bonuses are paid on July 1st for the upcoming season. We just wait until the Bonus is paid and a team can pretty much get Carey Price at the real cost of a backup goalie for a year. If it looks like we are heading for a lockout than I think teams might be wary. But we will likely only have 1 shot at a lockout during his term, and I seriously doubt we'd be looking to trade Price before the halfway point of his contract.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
Voted no.

Cap inflation is stagnating, it will most probably not help with the % of cap significantly over time - unlike that which happened with the Lundquist, Crosby and Malkin cap hits, which were of similar value when signed. (Crosby's hit is over 12 yrs also). NY didn't go far with so much cap to the tender - though to be fair NY has / had a couple or three under-performing bad cap deals at the same time. (We have a couple overpaid middle complementary players, and Pleks is coming off next year thank goodness)

So, a but too much, by a million for that length of time. And that bonus structure!!! How could the CBA not have closed what should have been an obvious anti-buy out tactic? Or change the buy-out rules.

So: Good to very good tender, but hasn't shown he can go an a crazy tear a la Roy which is what we would require to win a cup as presently structured. Need some offence!!! Roy had a team in front of him.....

Sigh

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Price has a very easy comparable contract in Lundqvist. It's hard to deny Carey what Lundqvist is getting. Carey's will be below 14% of the cap when we know what next years cieling will be. Lundqvist got 13.22 %.

Radulov' demands meanwhile are outside of his comparable in my opinion. And apparently it's not just MB who has issues paying Rads as despite being the likely best free agent forward available, he's still unsigned...

Eerily similar comment as when we drafted Price 5th overall just after Theodore won the Vezina.

Theodore didn't receive an eight year, no trade contract at thirty-one years-old.

Instead of signing Price, I would have traded him to fill some of our desperate needs. How many of the last 25-30 SC champions won with the best goalie. Almost all of them had top notch centers.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Terrible contract that will come back to haunt the team in a few years

I think 10.5 is too much but it's not that who is the worst...it's the term. Ideally at 10.5 he should have had half the years. 4 x 10.5 would have been much easier to swallow. 8 years just make this a brutal and long term handcuffing contract. I like Price and i hope perform for the duration of the contract but i'm skeptical. It's very risky

And i don't understand the "But the team had no choice argument" They certainly could have traded him for assets next year and then sign a 5-6m goalie who may not have been as good but still being able to do the job. We are also loaded with promising goalies prospects in Lindgren , McNiven and Fucale to a lesser extent. When it come to goalie propects the pipeline is far from empty.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Taking 8 years doesn't show he wants to stay here. It shows he wants the MAX that he can get. Sean is right. Bergevin caved in to everything Price wanted in order to keep him here.

Cap wise and asset management wise, it's one of Bergevin's worse moves. We already have Price's replacement, but Bergevin is aversed to taking any kind of risk which would emtail missing the playoffs for a season or two. He made the easy, safe play, but you'll never win making easy safe plays, something which Bergevin will never understand, along with his defenders.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Taking 8 years doesn't show he wants to stay here. It shows he wants the MAX $$$ that he can get. Sean is right. Bergevin caved in to everything Price wanted in order to keep him here.

Cap wise and asset management wise, it's one of Bergevin's worse moves. We already have Price's replacement, but Bergevin is aversed to taking any kind of risk which would emtail missing the playoffs for a season or two. He made the easy, safe play, but you'll never win making easy safe plays, something which Bergevin will never understand, along with his defenders.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
people once thought Datysuk's, Horton's & Clarkson's contracts were unmovable too. IF Price suck in 5-7years, which I highly doubt there will be a team to take his salary.

If Subban can get paid 9M (as an RFA) and Kopitar can get 10 then there is no reason to believe Price couldn't get 10.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad