Player Discussion Price's contract ( Poll ):good or bad

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
At first glance I hated this contract, now not as much. But there's a lot of ways to look at the situation.

Do you think Bergevin negotiated from a position of strength with Price? I don't believe he did. The team last season was just as reliant on his stellar goaltending to be above .500 as previous seasons. There was some systemic improvement under Julien, though.

Which brings me to my next point, if you trade for Drouin and manage to bring back Markov & Radulov (hell, even just one of the two) there's a very good chance you can transform the team from weak offensively to a potentially top 10-offense if things go right re:player progression. Not to mention the improvement from having a better system in front of Price. This would have at least given MB a leg to stand on. I honestly don't believe a lot of negotiating was done and they essentially just gave Price a blank cheque so long as the number was reasonable.

I was hoping maybe we could get him on a 8.5-9AVV, which I think everyone would agree would have been a home town discount and help the team moving forward.

All things considered, I'd rather see Price overpaid by 1-2m then a guy like Andrew Shaw. Unfortunately we still sign guys like Andrew Shaw..

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's this kind of negative outlook which really is disheartening.

The numbers are right there. Price hasn't prove he can be as good in the playoffs as he is the the regular season. Lundqvist, Rinne, Murray and Holtby have performed better than Price in the playoffs.

It's a lot of money and 3 years too many for Price.

Jul 6, 2016
Way too much term and $$$.

Price never stole a Playoff series by himself like guys like Roy or Brodeur have done so many times.

And if he fails again in the next two-three seasons, he is untradable.

AboveandBeyond

Jun 1, 2013
Hollows Edge
The numbers are right there. Price hasn't prove he can be as good in the playoffs as he is the the regular season. Lundqvist, Rinne, Murray and Holtby have performed better than Price in the playoffs.

It's a lot of money and 3 years too many for Price.

If if we keep being negative it won't every happen . All of those goalies you mentioned had arguably a better team in front of them minus Lundqvist then the Montreal Canadiens have had in front of Price .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to say if Price's contract is good or bad for us. For me, it comes down to how much of a raise Patch and Galchenyuk want in 2/3 years and how much the cap goes up. There has been a $2M a year average increase over the last 3 years. Will that continue or go higher?

Those are the factors at play with how that contract will affect us in the next 9 years

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well I think it's a great contract, particularly since I couldn't pay that to keep the best goalie in the world on my Habs lineup. Hurrah comes to mind immediately, the Drouin signing too was a great one. Our Habs are going to be a special team this season and for many to come, IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Oh yeah, the Alzner signing as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Price never stole a Playoff series by himself like guys like Roy or Brodeur have done so many times.

Both Roy and Brodeur played behind defensive teams and systems that Price could only dream about. Neither of them did it by themselves.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

His value isn't evaluated on the success of the Montreal Canadiens in the playoffs. Most teams are smart enough to see that he's set up to fail with the team we currently have.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Both Roy and Brodeur played behind defensive teams and systems that Price could only dream about. Neither of them did it by themselves.

Lg you just answered the question. Which is why you don't pay price 10.5 mill to do it by himself. Terrible contract. Particularly given prices injury history, age and never stealing a po series. Just accept it. It's a ****ing bad contract.

Especially given the very good goalie prospects in the system. Now wasted draft picks or development time.

I hope price wins one cup in the next 3 years, or (sorry Carey) goes on ltir.

I love the player and have played nets myself. The pressure is brutal. But he now has no forgiveness from fans if he does not absolutely star in the po. And I mean star. No excuses for bad d. No excuses for lack of goal support. None. And why should he get them at that cap hit.

According to most here he is as important to winning as a no 1 c. Then prove it. I don't believe it. It is my theory that we will never see one goalie steal 4 series again. It is physically and mentally impossible in today's NHL. Stupid stupid move by mb.

After the first round exit next year all of these excuses will be made for price. I'm calling it now.

Who excuses Crosby? Who excuses toews? No one. If price is said to be a game changer and is paid like one, no excuses for him either.

No more excuses for price. He now has a higher cap hit than Crosby and Malkin. If he is mediocre in the po next year he will be torched. I wish him well.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Lg you just answered the question. Which is why you don't pay price 10.5 mill to do it by himself. Terrible contract. Particularly given prices injury history, age and never stealing a po series. Just accept it. It's a ****ing bad contract.

Especially given the very good goalie prospects in the system. Now wasted draft picks or development time.

I love the player and have played nets myself. The pressure is brutal. But he now has no forgiveness from fans if he does not absolutely star in the po. And I mean star. No excuses for bad d. No excuses for lack of goal support. None. And why should he get them at that cap hit.

According to most here he is as important to winning as a no 1 c. Then prove it. I don't believe it. It is my theory that we will never see one goalie steal 4 series again. It is physically and mentally impossible in today's NHL. Stupid stupid move by mb.

After the first round exit next year all of these excuses will be made for price. I'm calling it now.

Who excuses Crosby? Who excuses toews? No one. If price is said to be a game changer and is paid like one, no excuses for him either.

No more excuses for price. He now has a higher cap hit than Crosby and Malkin. If he is mediocre in the po next year he will be torched. I wish him well.

Crosby and Malkin were both signed under the old CBA and circumvent the cap. Their contracts have no relation at all to Price's. And hockey is a team sport. If Price has a bad series or is a problem in the playoffs, which he hasn't been since 2010, then you can start throwing blame on him. You can't expect to win a cup on the back of one athlete in a team sport. Yes, Price is getting very big money but that's what he's worth and a good GM will build around its best players. Ours just happens to be a goaltender. ***** about the GM if you don't like the idea of building the team around a goalie, because he's the one making the decisions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lg you just answered the question. Which is why you don't pay price 10.5 mill to do it by himself.
No player should have to do it by himself because no player can.

I have no problem paying Price 10 mil. That contract doesn't prevent us from icing a competitive team. Top end talent wins cups but you have to have a good club on front of him too. Desharnais and Dannault isn't going to do it. It wouldn't have done it for Roy or Brodeur either.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
No player should have to do it by himself because no player can.

I have no problem paying Price 10 mil. That contract doesn't prevent us from icing a competitive team. Top end talent wins cups but you have to have a good club on front of him too. Desharnais and Dannault isn't going to do it. It wouldn't have done it for Roy or Brodeur either.

Yip, generally agree. I don't think Price would ever be like Roy in 93 (err...can anyone?) but given a good team in front of him, he can take us very far. No goalie can take a turd to the cup.
As for the contract, not really good, but unless a GM gave him a 10 year contract 5 years ago (give or take a few years), I doubt there was much MB could have done. The team sucked, Price have the team a chance. Of course his salary was going to be sky high.
As for his playoff performance that everyone seems to be showcasing to show how much Price sucks...take a look at it again. He was brought into the NHL way too quickly and it took him awhile to adjust. Most of his horrible numbers were at the the beginning, and the longer the Habs played in the playoffs, the better his numbers were (minus 2007...i.e. a couple of years after being drafted). His numbers are getting, in general, better all things considered except that blip year where he only played 4 games in 2012.
Personally not worried about Price. Would like him to get into god mode in playoffs but even if he doesn't, I believe he'll play good enough to give us a chance. The only question that remains is whether or not the team in front of him is any good. I.e. he's not the problem.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I really hope that Price's best playoffs performances are yet to come.. otherwise... it will be a ridiculous overpayment for a good regular season goalie who's fairly underwhelming in the playoffs. What's worse is that if McNiven, Fucale or any other goalie ever show anything good we'll have to trade them and they won't garner much in a trade either because everyone will know we're stuck with Price anyway. Signing a player 8 years at that type of cap hit at 30 is awful unless that player is a legend. And Price is no legend. Not even close.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yip, generally agree. I don't think Price would ever be like Roy in 93 (err...can anyone?) but given a good team in front of him, he can take us very far. No goalie can take a turd to the cup.
As for the contract, not really good, but unless a GM gave him a 10 year contract 5 years ago (give or take a few years), I doubt there was much MB could have done. The team sucked, Price have the team a chance. Of course his salary was going to be sky high.
As for his playoff performance that everyone seems to be showcasing to show how much Price sucks...take a look at it again. He was brought into the NHL way too quickly and it took him awhile to adjust. Most of his horrible numbers were at the the beginning, and the longer the Habs played in the playoffs, the better his numbers were (minus 2007...i.e. a couple of years after being drafted). His numbers are getting, in general, better all things considered except that blip year where he only played 4 games in 2012.
Personally not worried about Price. Would like him to get into god mode in playoffs but even if he doesn't, I believe he'll play good enough to give us a chance. The only question that remains is whether or not the team in front of him is any good. I.e. he's not the problem.
He's already gotten teams that had no business in the postseason to the playoffs and stolen some series/games for us. If he plays like he did last year against the Rangers we'd be fine if we had a team that could score. Until we fix that problem though it won't matter who's in net.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

I agree the boo birds will come out in a hurry. Remember the year he lost his job to Halak. Any high priced player on this team that doesn't justify it is usually thrown overboard. Breezy was a good example. Paid for what he had done, not his value going forward. We gave Price a 'thanks for your hard work' contract. We KNOW he can be great. But he has only come close to stealing a series against the bruins. So unless we play them second round he won't be lifting us to an ECF let alone a SCF.

Biggest issue I have is the same as always for MB. Pick either a high salary, or a long term. Can't have both. 5 years is OK length for that contract, 8 is not. If it had been 9 million(I know its a quibble) that 1.5 SHOULD have helped us. Though with Cap Space Manager who knows. However the second issue is 60 games played per season.
I know he will play the whole playoffs, but does that mean we overplay him by the post season to make sure he is worth the monster contract?

I have no problem with his post season performance. Numbers don't look good but that is because our offence spends all their time in our zone or the neutral zone. That would have changed if our russians had been resigned. This also means more work on carey. This offseason without hiring rad and markov just ruins the drouin and carey signings. If we don't sign markov I would rather have kept sergechev and signed radulov and looked for help with all the extra cap space. Get Hanzel or Bonino, look for a trade or offersheet drais.

I don't see how this team is even as good as last years, nevermind better.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
BY9QHB7Ftm2

New set-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad