Pre-Game Talk: Price vs Halak revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Ummm...the gulf isn't that wide. Halak is doing incredibly well this year. One of the top 5 goalies this year. I would defend DD but he has never been "great". Halak played great during our playoff run that one year and he's playing great now.

Not disputing if Halak is good or not, he's good, there's no doubt about it, but you can't deny Price's superior talent, everyone in the NHL hockey world knows this, Carey Price is a superstar goalie and there's nothing you can do about it :)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Halak is a very good 40 game goalie, anything more gets questionable. He doesn't have much longevity in a season. Who his back up is matters greatly.

Price has become consistency personified. There's no question that he's a starter that can log big minutes.

Halak is probably the best small goalie in hockey.

Price is one of the best goalies in hockey period.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It probably was, actually. Only fickle fans thought Halak was the better goalie moving forward. I'm sure the Habs video team broke down all the screen shots Halak was too short to see as well. The Flyers just ate him up.

Nat King Cole

Funny how those same Flyers ate Price up two years earlier...his size sure was usefull against them.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Halak, to this day, despite the size, is still a very good goalie. Price is a great goalie. So Price is a better goalie. Yet, I still believe that St.Louis would have done a better job with Halak instead of Miller. Easy for me to say I guess but that's how I feel.

My questions, at the time, was always this:

1- What would have been better.....Price and the return for Halak, or Halak and the return of Price. Is Halak that much more weaker so that whatever the return for Price would never be as good as keeping Price?

2-Can we actually know the real value and real quality of a goalie without a great run in the playoffs?

And my point, also at the time, was the the amoutn of pressure on Price could have been way too much for him as we were coming off an incredible Halak performance, a performance we haven't seen for a goalie in quite some time. While, in the end, Price showed a lot of character and was able to overcome all that, may I remind some people that we DID witness the amount of pressure Price was going to get as he was booed in the first preseason game he was playing in? Wasn't that far off about the amount of pressure, what I didn't know, is that he would have been able to overcome that. Wasn't sure at all....he made me eat some crow. But I'm still waiting for a great playoff run à la Quick. True that Quick might have had better teams....but totally untrue that he didn't have to do miracles to win some games. He still did. As of now though, Habs are way too weak on the D to think they'd go far this year. We just can't. I hope we don't throw some of the future out so we'd just acquire 1 guy and think it's enough. It won't be. We would need some Price miracles to go far.

Sword

May 26, 2014
We finally snapped a losing streak against the Blues, can we do the same against Halak?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Funny how those same Flyers ate Price up two years earlier...his size sure was usefull against them.

It's not funny, actually. You're still crying about a 20 year old rookie goaltender not being lights out in the 2nd round.

And his height has definitely been useful over the years. :laugh: (now it's funny)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I am ok with people preferring Price, as I do, but career wise Halak is better on EVERY MAJOR STAT, people should think about that before they post their nonsense.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
We're talking about a guy that couldn't keep his job vs Brian Elliot and has had similar stats to Price behind a much better team and while playing less games. I can't imagine Price ever being traded two times in the same year. We're talking about a guy that didn't want to face his old team because god knows why.

Many say MT has kept his job because Price has been exceptional. I don't imagine Halak being able to sustain the type of play Price has offered over the years. When he's hot, he's really good but it all evens out.

Price all the way. Glad Goat made that decision.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Halak, to this day, despite the size, is still a very good goalie. Price is a great goalie. So Price is a better goalie. Yet, I still believe that St.Louis would have done a better job with Halak instead of Miller. Easy for me to say I guess but that's how I feel.

My questions, at the time, was always this:

1- What would have been better.....Price and the return for Halak, or Halak and the return of Price. Is Halak that much more weaker so that whatever the return for Price would never be as good as keeping Price?

2-Can we actually know the real value and real quality of a goalie without a great run in the playoffs?

And my point, also at the time, was the the amoutn of pressure on Price could have been way too much for him as we were coming off an incredible Halak performance, a performance we haven't seen for a goalie in quite some time. While, in the end, Price showed a lot of character and was able to overcome all that, may I remind some people that we DID witness the amount of pressure Price was going to get as he was booed in the first preseason game he was playing in? Wasn't that far off about the amount of pressure, what I didn't know, is that he would have been able to overcome that. Wasn't sure at all....he made me eat some crow. But I'm still waiting for a great playoff run à la Quick. True that Quick might have had better teams....but totally untrue that he didn't have to do miracles to win some games. He still did. As of now though, Habs are way too weak on the D to think they'd go far this year. We just can't. I hope we don't throw some of the future out so we'd just acquire 1 guy and think it's enough. It won't be. We would need some Price miracles to go far.
People seem to forget though that he hasn't really lost a playoff series since Boston in 2011. And that was in the 7th game in overtime to the eventual cup champs.

In 2013 we were on the verge of tying the series when the Sens scored late to force overtime. Price was knocked out of the series. Last year Price was again knocked out of the series after taking us a couple of rounds.

If we can stop guys from running our goalie then maybe he'll have a chance at taking us places. He was good enough to win a Gold for Canada with very little margin to work with so it's not like this guy can't win.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Although it's not confirmed yet, it would be nice if we get this match-up. Always makes for some lively discussions. Islanders are very hot lately, partly due to Halak's stellar goalkeeping. Should make for an interesting game before the holiday break.

Price is probably better...but not like either ever won major trophy. Price also had benefit of training with Waite. Halak likely be better under Waite though. Which one they traded it would have worked out. No lose situation

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
he'll get hurt sooner than later. guy's a good 1B, can't handle the workload of a true #1.

still forever grateful that he gave me some of my best hockey memories...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
We're talking about a guy that couldn't keep his job vs Brian Elliot and has had similar stats to Price behind a much better team and while playing less games. I can't imagine Price ever being traded two times in the same year. We're talking about a guy that didn't want to face his old team because god knows why.

Many say MT has kept his job because Price has been exceptional. I don't imagine Halak being able to sustain the type of play Price has offered over the years. When he's hot, he's really good but it all evens out.

How did Ryan Miller do on that "better team"? Below .500 that's how. St. Louis blew their season the second Halak left town.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Halak usually shuts Habs out so it'll give his fans some happiness.
How did Ryan Miller do on that "better team"? Below .500 that's how. St. Louis blew their season the second Halak left town.

Ryan Miller hasn't been good once he's left STL either. His struggles are probably more related to his regression rather than the ability to be a goalie on a good team.

Halak hasn't even went through his patented groin injuries...

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Pot calling the kettle black ?
Yeah, maybe that would be the same thing if I posted that Desharnais was great during his 1 point in 19 game stretch. And then called him awful during his good stretch. That's equivalent to that.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

You're acting like Brian Elliott has been awful. He's got a career 1.87/.927% line as a Blue.

People saying Halak can't sustain his play due to talent are crazy. No one knows. He's not durable and always gets injured. That sucks for him, but let's not act like he falls apart until we actually know...

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
You're acting like Brian Elliott has been awful. He's got a career 1.87/.927% line as a Blue.

People saying Halak can't sustain his play due to talent are crazy. No one knows. He's not durable and always gets injured. That sucks for him, but let's not act like he falls apart until we actually know...

there, ya fingered it: that's exactly why he can't sustain it

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Because he won't play the games, I agree. Many here are saying that he won't sustain because he'll fall apart statistically, which just isn't historically accurate whatsoever

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
People seem to forget though that he hasn't really lost a playoff series since Boston in 2011. And that was in the 7th game in overtime to the eventual cup champs.

In 2013 we were on the verge of tying the series when the Sens scored late to force overtime. Price was knocked out of the series. Last year Price was again knocked out of the series after taking us a couple of rounds.

If we can stop guys from running our goalie then maybe he'll have a chance at taking us places. He was good enough to win a Gold for Canada with very little margin to work with so it's not like this guy can't win.

Whether it's his fault or not, we can't say that he would have done great if he had not been injured. We don't know that . And succesful 1st round do not make a great run in playoff series. Whether we like it or not, whether we find that we have the teams or not, goalies are remembered mostly because of their performances in the playoffs. Carey Price is not at the good level now. He's at the great level. And at that level, you are suppose to make your team better. Not have to wait till it's better before you become better. Yes...there's a freakin difference between making it better and making it different.....I don't believe right now that no matter if Price is borderline Jesus, that we'd still win the cup or even go in the Eastern finals. That D is just way too bad to do it. But at one point, soon, with the proper adjustments, he will have to make that team better. And frankly....that's what he's doing right now. But it's in the regular season. Needs to do it in the playoffs.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

2 playoffs now that Price has been injured. Mind you, most if not every goalie would probably have been after Kreider's charge, but small or big, he still has to battle some injuries throughout his own career as well. And at the most important moments.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
If you're that sure you have a short memory :\ Halak was our #1 in the playoffs and is only 1 year older. It wasn't as cut and dry a decision as you make it sound.

Halak's a bit more than 2 years older, seems like an arbitrary distinction and it is now but at that point in their development it was pretty significant.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Halak is a very good goalie, especialy given his size. I'm happy with Eller, but I do wish we had gotten more for him. However, goalies are usually hard to trade. Think of Bishop, here: now one of the best goalies in the league, but got relatively little (no pun) in return. There have been so many goalies that are great for a few years, and then disappear: think Theo, and a bunch of other ones. They seem to have different longevity than other players. Their are relatively few perenial greats. I think Price is one of them. Who knows about Halak. He had to be moved, and we got a very solid commodity that will, and has, been with us for years. So, all in all, I am happy that we got something as good as Eller, although I would have liked more, but that is the same for almost every trade.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I am ok with people preferring Price, as I do, but career wise Halak is better on EVERY MAJOR STAT, people should think about that before they post their nonsense.

Halak's stats aren't better since the trade, which is just about all that matters to me when evaluating it.

I mean they're pretty close statistically for the most part but Price's ability to be a workhorse, his puck play and the fact that he's younger makes it a pretty easy decision in hindsight and I like Halak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad