Pre-Game Talk: Price vs Halak revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I loved and still love Halak. I don't get why some of you are hating on him. When he was in Montreal he was one of the best goalie we ever had and was such a nice guy.

So happy to see Halak doing great :yo:

I don't think there's any hate, I liked Halak, but I believe Price's ceiling along with many people here is much higher and at the end of their careers, I'm convinced you'll see it the same way we do. Halak is a good goaltender but if you have a poll in NHL asking every player who'd they rather have between the two, I'd say at least 95% in favor of Price, but that's pure assumption :)

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
a bit of a stretch don't you think. The guy was good but to call him one of the best we have ever had is stretching it quite a bit. He wouldn't even be in my top 5

Halak was basically a modern Steve Penney for the Habs.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Since this is the pre-game thread, and not the "Halak vs. Price" thread, I'll discuss the game. I think Montreal wins 4-3. All gonna depend on if our first line plays well again, and if our third line can shut down New York's 3rd line.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Giroux was not a superstar in 2010 and the Flyers was still looking for a number 1 goalie.

Gauthier took 14 teams out of play right off of the bat, he always stated that he was never going to trade either of them in conference. So we were never getting giroux.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
a bit of a stretch don't you think. The guy was good but to call him one of the best we have ever had is stretching it quite a bit. He wouldn't even be in my top 5

Overall he's far from being the best goalie we had but during his run here he was pretty consistent and carried the team big time during the playoffs. I don't remember hating on him while he was here like I did for every other goalie we had.
(Also he saved us from the Huet/Aebischer disaster :laugh:)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

It's certainly a bit of a stretch, but defensible statistically (woo hoo) and maybe in terms of peak level of performance - depending on how many "one of" includes, and for how long. Sample size count in a variety of ways.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Good god, are we seriously debating this, this is like people debating should we trade Desharnais or Galchenyuk cause we can only have one number 1 center......Desharnais like Halak had the early success, enough said!!

Ummm...the gulf isn't that wide. Halak is doing incredibly well this year. One of the top 5 goalies this year. I would defend DD but he has never been "great". Halak played great during our playoff run that one year and he's playing great now.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Gauthier took 14 teams out of play right off of the bat, he always stated that he was never going to trade either of them in conference. So we were never getting giroux.

It's a dumb way of doing business especially if there is an offer to good to pass coming from an eastern team. Price probably never was on the market.

Price is doing great with the Habs so does Halak with the Islanders.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

This is not true. Kevin Allen reported that Gauthier had discussed with Atlanta, but the Thrashers thought the price was too high. He confirmed that Gauthier asked for Patrice Cormier and a 1st round pick. Dudley never called back because he didn't think he was worth that package. Similarly, Bob McKenzie confirmed that Gauthier had contacted the Flyers. That's already two teams within the conference.

Montreal had tried to trade Halak earlier in the year to the Flyers when Gainey was around. The habs weren't getting Giroux for Halak, even after the run, this is a myth created by Habs fans.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Habs vs Isles

I have a feeling that this game is going to be an eye opener for those who haven't seen the isles this season.

You would look at the standings and probably figure that tavares is having a monster year. He is not.

I think there are some names in new York that are flying under the radar, such as nelson, okposo, and strome.

I can't remember if I've ever said this before, but I'm excited to watch the isles and habs go at it, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Isles are for real... They have top end scoring talent. Halak has been great for them, so is Johnson. Tavares is a freakin superstar (not having a great year). Nelson was a great prospect, Strome was a top 5 pick with a lot of upside. Okposo is a beast.

The Isles also solidified their D with the acquisition of Leddy (still young underated D) and Boychuk (solid top 4).

I still remember Habs getting shutout in Mtl last year vs a Isles team full of AHL'ers.

We tend to play bad in Long Island, especially around the 23 of December.

We better play a full 60 mins tomorrow or the trip will start on a really bad note.

Go Habs Go

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Isles are for real... They have top end scoring talent. Halak has been great for them, so is Johnson. Tavares is a freakin superstar (not having a great year). Nelson was a great prospect, Strome was a top 5 pick with a lot of upside. Okposo is a beast.

The Isles also solidified their D with the acquisition of Leddy (still young underated D) and Boychuk (solid top 4).

I still remember Habs getting shutout in Mtl last year vs a Isles team full of AHL'ers.

We tend to play bad in Long Island, especially around the 23 of December.

We better play a full 60 mins tomorrow or the trip will start on a really bad note.

Go Habs Go

?? We tend to play good against them not sure what your talking about ... Patches always comes to play against them.

All I remember is beating them but apparently since 2010/11 season we are 6-4-3 so I guess I was wrong

Analyzer*

Yeah, tend. It seems one team usually lights up the other.

Someone is going to resemble a Christmas tree when this is all said and done.

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
Why are people still so obsessed with Halak. When he played in Montreal with the Blues and people here were actually cheering for him to win and were happy for his shutout - it was simply disgusting.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
?? We tend to play good against them not sure what your talking about ... Patches always comes to play against them.

All I remember is beating them but apparently since 2010/11 season we are 6-4-3 so I guess I was wrong

Dec 14 2013 Habs 1 vs NYI 0 in OT
Feb 12 2013 Habs 3 vs NYI 6
Nov 17 2011 Habs 3 vs NYI 4
Dec 26 2010 Habs 1 vs NYI 4
Dec 19 2009 Habs 3 vs NYI 0

NYI are 4 and 2 in last 6 meetings at the Bell... Remember NYI have been bottom feeders for over 15 years...

I wouldn't say we are

bigtimehockeyfan999*

No. Halak had a way worse team in front of him. As of now the 2 goalies have accomplished the same thing in the NHL a 3rd round playoff presence.

Halak + Giroux or Price+ Eller ?

halak and carter might have been a realistic possibility. but Giroux? no way man.

id still take price

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
They're both very good goalies.

Gauthier made a great trade. The package he got for Halak was an unreal return for a goalie.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Halak as been with 3 other organisation since the trade. (BUF, WSH and now NYI). If he was that great, I'm sure the Caps and Sabres could have used him as their starter. They choose to pass on him because quite frankly he is always out of gas in February.

The Leafs torched him for 4 goals blocker side in one game.. I thought he was exposed during that game.

Glad we kept Price but why do we always have to bring it up year after year?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Halak will soon come down to Earth, as usual. So overrated.
A good goalie, but there is alot of highs and lows with his performance...he is not a bonafide # 1 guy as Price is........everyone knows the right decision was made....

The Isles may even have a better team than the Habs going forward, but we have the better goalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad