Pre-Game Talk: Price vs Halak revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Although it's not confirmed yet, it would be nice if we get this match-up. Always makes for some lively discussions. Islanders are very hot lately, partly due to Halak's stellar goalkeeping. Should make for an interesting game before the holiday break.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Price >>> Halak AINEC

For once PG made the right decision.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
It was one of the easiest decisions he ever had to make. I doubt there was any debate whatsoever.

If you're that sure you have a short memory :\ Halak was our #1 in the playoffs and is only 1 year older. It wasn't as cut and dry a decision as you make it sound.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If you're that sure you have a short memory :\ Halak was our #1 in the playoffs and is only 1 year older. It wasn't as cut and dry a decision as you make it sound.

Easy decision. Fans might have been split on it, but I highly doubt it was a debate.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Easy decision. Fans might have been split on it, but I highly doubt it was a debate.

He had the balls to trade Halak when half of the fan base (if not more) thought he was the Habs savior after the playoffs and wanted Price gone because of his attitude on and off the ice, his mental weakness and his not so impressive stats. Price was booed afterward during the preseason. That's just how badly some people hated him.

How things have changed.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

It was. You just don't give up on a goalie with the potential Price had back then.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
He had the balls to trade Halak when half of the fan base (if not more) thought he was the Habs savior after the playoffs and wanted Price gone because of his attitude on and off the ice, his mental weakness and his not so impressive stats. Price was booed afterward during the preseason. That's just how badly some people hated him.

How things have changed.

Just because most of the fan base is totally Pejorative Slured when it comes to actually knowing anything about hockey doesn't mean the professionals who manage the team are. It may of been a debate when it comes to the fans but i don't think it was in the hockey world.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Keeping Price and trading Halak is the one great thing that Gauthier did for this organization. Can't blame him for that call.

Also nice to see Halak (and the Islanders) having success.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
If a goalies truth worth is in the playoffs, I don't think it's a settled question yet. The bottom line is playoff performance. Price took a huge step last year but it's pretty even at the moment. A dual in April would be pretty fun.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If a goalies truth worth is in the playoffs, I don't think it's a settled question yet. The bottom line is playoff performance. Price took a huge step last year but it's pretty even at the moment. A dual in April would be pretty fun.

Price was better last year than Halak was in 2010.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Good god, are we seriously debating this, this is like people debating should we trade Desharnais or Galchenyuk cause we can only have one number 1 center......Desharnais like Halak had the early success, enough said!!

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I loved and still love Halak. I don't get why some of you are hating on him. When he was in Montreal he was one of the best goalie we ever had and was such a nice guy.

So happy to see Halak doing great :yo:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

How things have changed.

I thought it was also because they thought Price could return a better player - certainly something better than Eller (who, as much as I like what he's becoming, is a bottom line centre for us 5 years later).

But whatever, we kept the better goalie, which is never a bad thing. Is there another way it could have been handled to make the team better overall? Maybe, but it's just brain candy that doesn't matter at this point. History revision does make for good conversation, though.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
I loved and still love Halak. I don't get why some of you are hating on him. When he was in Montreal he was one of the best goalie we ever had and was such a nice guy.

So happy to see Halak doing great :yo:

a bit of a stretch don't you think. The guy was good but to call him one of the best we have ever had is stretching it quite a bit. He wouldn't even be in my top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad