Price vs Fucale Future Predicament

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
This dilemma with Fucale and Price is basically the same the Habs are going to face with Henri Bellemains (draft eligible 2016) and Galchenyuk, as well as with Konstantin Putzepukinzenet (draft eligible 2017) and Gallagher.

The Habs are going to have make some really tough choices. But I think Slobodan Tasse (Habs GM circa 2018) will be patient and make a solid deal with the Las Vegas Craps at the 2019 draft -- Fucale, Bellemains and Putzepukinzenet for the 1st overall pick, which of course means the right to draft Xiao Pingping, who would fit perfectly in Coach Koivu's system, once he learns the language and adapts to ice.

It is a bit far off, and things might change, but as of now that's how I see it going down.

Tasse is a sublime choice but I'm betting Schrivalup Andropov gets the job

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I dont think Fucale will ever be as good as Price was in his rookie year. Not a knock on him, but as a semi-outsider to the Habs ... Price has done amazing things. I can't see Fucale knocking him off for at least 10 years.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
I dont think we see Fucale for awhile anyway .. Id say 1 more year of junior since i believe he cant play for hamilton next year and 3 years in AHL. Then I can see him as a backup to get use to NHL and by time he is ready Price will be around 31+.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't even want to talk about possibly having another starter than Carey until several, SEVERAL years down the road.

Even if fucale becomes a guy capable of the #1 job, we are still talking about at least 4 years. Price will be in his 30's, and we shall see where his game is at, and where the habs weaknesses/strengths lie.

Fucale has a long way to go, and despite being a solid prospect, he is not the slam dunk that price turned out to be.

The focus should be on giving fucale every resource that he needs for him to succeed, then go from there. This topic is highly premature.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

It's not an issue or a predicament, it's the best case scenario. You either deal Price and hopefully get a king's ransom, or you trade Fucale and get something like what Vancouver got for Scheinder.

There's no point in even speculating at this point because it's too far in the future. What will Price do between now and then, will he have a Vezina or two, a Cup? Or will he still have no playoff track record. No one knows, and Fucale is an even bigger unknown.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
This is a non-issue at this point. Fucale is a long ways away from reaching his potential, if he ever does. You can't project goalies - he's not as good of a prospect as Price was, and people have been ready to dismiss Price plenty of times.

Best case scenario - 4-5 years from now Price is still good and Fucale forces his way into competition. You trade one of them. There's nothing bad about this scenario.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
This is why we can't have nice things.

Price is in the discussion of the top 5 in the world and we're talking about a guy who has proven absolutely nothing in professional hockey being his replacement.

This isn't Luongo/Schenider. Luongo is on a stupid contract and Schenider had shown he was capable of playing at a similar level. Fucale has won in the Q. As mentioned, if Fucale reaches his potential he should be just coming into his prime as Price regresses so it's a simple solution.

Last edited:

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
This is why we can't have nice things.

Price is in the discussion of the top 5 in the world and we're talking about a guy who has proven absolutely nothing in professional hockey being his replacement.

This isn't Luongo Schenider. Luongo is on a stupid contract and Schenider had shown he was capable of playing at a similar level. Fucale has won in the Q.

You didn't read the original post. I agree and I wasn't saying to "trade Price" at all. I was simply was saying if Fucale proves he can be a good starter what do the Habs do?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's a great problem to have. You develop Fucale and either trade him when he shows that he can be a legit starter or you name him the starter if he's superior to Price (which I doubt)

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
You didn't read the original post. I agree and I wasn't saying to "trade Price" at all. I was simply was saying if Fucale proves he can be a good starter what do the Habs do?

Sorry I was reactionary, just I remember the anti Price idiots in the draft threads declaring his successor when we drafted Fucale.

If Fucale reaches his potential trading Price would be the right move, especially with the age difference, Fucale at 25 means Price at 30+ which is when goalies tail off.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Not worrying at all. I just thought it was an interesting scenario.

hahaha, i love when somebody posts a hypothetical scenario and people get all up in arams even when you explicitly say THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO! lol.

nobody ever just plays along galchtocoll. except me!

I'd say if Fucale can fulfill his potential (possible franchise goalie) and Price can keep up his play (first ballot hall of famer. COME AT ME!) I'd be more inclined to trade Fucale.

I just think Price can end up in that Roy/Brodeur league and Fucale could still get us a very good return.

I guess there is some wisdom in keeping Fucale/trading Price. Bigger return while Fucale's younger and you can get more years out of him.

It's a great problem to have but I'd keep Price. This is all based on Fucale not being better than Price at these hypothetical crossroads. I think it's safe to say Fucale won't be better than Price though I'm not emphatically denying the possibility that Fucale could be better. Just assuming he won't be.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
hahaha, i love when somebody posts a hypothetical scenario and people get all up in arams even when you explicitly say THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO! lol.

nobody ever just plays along galchtocoll. except me!

I'd say if Fucale can fulfill his potential (possible franchise goalie) and Price can keep up his play (first ballot hall of famer. COME AT ME!) I'd be more inclined to trade Fucale.

I just think Price can end up in that Roy/Brodeur league and Fucale could still get us a very good return.

I guess there is some wisdom in keeping Fucale/trading Price. Bigger return while Fucale's younger and you can get more years out of him.

It's a great problem to have but I'd keep Price. This is all based on Fucale not being better than Price at these hypothetical crossroads. I think it's safe to say Fucale won't be better than Price though I'm not emphatically denying the possibility that Fucale could be better. Just assuming he won't be.

Haha thank you. I was not saying Fucale is guaranteed to pan out which some of you may be implying. I was stating if he turns out into a good starting goalie in 4-5 years which one do you keep? I know a lot can happen between now and then but i thought it was a intresting topic.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
To beat Carey he'd have to be one of the best goaltenders in the past 15 years. Does he have strong starting goalie potential? Yes. Will he one day challenge Price? Perhaps but the odds are against him i.e Luongo and Schneider.

I think what we have is a great opportunity to make a game changing trade when he shows he's got enough potential to be a number 1 goalie.

And if ever Price goes bad or is injured, we'll have a goalie with the potential to be number 1.

Talking about a predicament now is as accurate as predicting the weather 30 days from now.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This dilemma with Fucale and Price is basically the same the Habs are going to face with Henri Bellemains (draft eligible 2016) and Galchenyuk, as well as with Konstantin Putzepukinzenet (draft eligible 2017) and Gallagher.

The Habs are going to have make some really tough choices. But I think Slobodan Tasse (Habs GM circa 2018) will be patient and make a solid deal with the Las Vegas Craps at the 2019 draft -- Fucale, Bellemains and Putzepukinzenet for the 1st overall pick, which of course means the right to draft Xiao Pingping, who would fit perfectly in Coach Koivu's system, once he learns the language and adapts to ice.

It is a bit far off, and things might change, but as of now that's how I see it going down.

What a stupid post. Everybody knows Koivu doesn't speak enough French. I'm pretty sure you meant coach Dagenais.

All hail coach Dagenais!

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
If at some point he becomes better than Price, we play him over Price.

If at some point he becomes a very good starter, but not as good as Price, we trade him for mucho assets.

I fail to see the controversy.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

I can see Fucale as a rookie in 4-5 years, if he is to really challenge Price that's another year or two later, that's around 6 years time, so no worries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad