Price vs Fucale Future Predicament

feds91

May 17, 2004
Do you know how many "top" Q goalies go on to have starting positions in the NHL ? i don't actually know, but i can easily assume there are very very few that have starting jobs in the NHL.

Like, almost non-existent.

I was just saying that he has a chance to start in the NHL. He already has quite a few accomplishments under his belt: 1st goalie drafted in the 2013 draft, highest ranked rated goalie in 2013 draft, Memorial Cup, starting goalie for Team Canada at WJC, Gold at Ivan Hlinka Tournament, 1st team all-star in Q, Mem Cup, Defensive rookie of the year in 2012. I think he has a shot at the NHL some day.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It will be around 6 years before we can ever expect Fucale to be a #1 goaltender in the league (if he ever gets there). Price will be 32/33 by then and still worth something in a trade. Or we can trade Fucale for a significant return and keep Price. I don't see any predicament.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
At least 5 years before we can have a serious debate to be honest.
1 year left in the Q.
At least 1 full year in the AHL
1 rookie year as a full time NHL back up
1 other year to prove that the previous year wasn't a fluke, with a bit more games played
1 year as a 1b starter (if he can achieve all the previous ones)

Then there will be a debate.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fucale has another year in the QMJHL.
Then he will have 2 years to develop in the AHL.
He'll back up Price for a year or two.

Price will still be young for a goalie about 31-32 when Fucale is ready to be a starter. That's when you identify which goalie you want to go with and who you want to trade.

So the problem holds no weight for a very long time.
Personally, I don't know if it makes sense to do all that work developing him when he could be used as a trade asset. If Price was 32 now I could understand it but why go through the motions to develop him if some other club is willing to pay a premium?

My hope is that we'd be "going for it" sooner than the time that Fucale will be in the league.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
At least 5 years before we can have a serious debate to be honest.
Hmmm...let's see that is a HFBoards way:
1 year left in the Q.
We should be okay on that one.
At least 1 full year in the AHL
There will probably already be a debate then, if an injury would happen or if the team fails. Would he be called up?
1 rookie year as a full time NHL back up
Probably the worst year. As soon as Price gives a bad goal, Fucale's name will be heard everywhere as the new savior.
1 other year to prove that the previous year wasn't a fluke, with a bit more games played
The debate will go on throughout the year, and good performances by Fucale will make the news!
1 year as a 1b starter (if he can achieve all the previous ones)
If the team is a contender, people will support Price. If not, expect "war".

Anyway, Carey's gold medal will give us a break, and we have a great #2 right now in Budaj (even if he was frightening at first!). Also, I guess Fucale could be traded before being ready to be a starter here. Oh, and BTW, I've always been a Price fan.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Personally, I don't know if it makes sense to do all that work developing him when he could be used as a trade asset. If Price was 32 now I could understand it but why go through the motions to develop him if some other club is willing to pay a premium?

My hope is that we'd be "going for it" sooner than the time that Fucale will be in the league.

Because what if Price leaves when this contract term is up? Fucale will be ready at that time. If we sign Price again for long term deal, then you look into trading Fucale. Right now Fucale is plan B. He's a really good one.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Best case scenario, he puts up very good numbers as a back up to Price in 5 years.

Management then trades the franchise goaltender for at least a top10 draft pick and keeps the elite gold medal winning goaltender. How to effectively turn a 2nd round pick into a top end prospect.

Problem solved :nod:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because what if Price leaves when this contract term is up? Fucale will be ready at that time. If we sign Price again for long term deal, then you look into trading Fucale. Right now Fucale is plan B. He's a really good one.
Price is more likely to leave if we don't assemble a great team in front of him. And quite frankly I don't see why he'd leave anyway. He's under contract for what? Four more years? I don't think fear of him leaving warrants us not trading Fucale.

I'm not pressing for a trade by any stretch but I wouldn't be upset if we dealt him for something that helps us address other needs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I suppose it's only natural to get greedy and start looking ahead like this, but Carey Price is a special goalie who showed something special even at the WJC level. You basically ride a goalie like that for as long as you can in his career. I doubt Fucale reaches that level.

Analyzer*

I suppose it's only natural to get greedy and start looking ahead like this, but Carey Price is a special goalie who showed something special even at the WJC level. You basically ride a goalie like that for as long as you can in his career. I doubt Fucale reaches that level.

I hope a lot feels like this.

It's not that easy to get a number 1 goalie in the NHL let along a good one.

My guess is Fucale is dealt for a young forward with size.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Plenty of time for Fucale to build his worth holding down the fort in the AHL before he seriously contends for one of the two main NHL goaltending spots, but... for those of you leaning on the percentages in terms of forecasting whether or not Fucale will "turn out", get ready, because he's not your average goaltender. Just like when I guaranteed that MacKinnon was going to be the hottest thing since sliced bread and some people were quick to play the "but you never know" card, I'm going to guarantee right here that Fucale forces decisions regarding his place in the organization sooner than later because he's going to be that good. Maybe not Price good, but good enough that there won't be any keeping him around into his mid-20s without a significant role lined up for him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
5-6 years?!

Yeah, no.

Fucale will be knocking at the door of an NHL job by 22, 23 at the very latest. And he will be a good keeper in my opinion. The way I see it is, let him develop and see where it takes us. I'd say Vancouver got a pretty good asset out of Schneider.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Fucale has another year in the QMJHL.
Then he will have 2 years to develop in the AHL.
He'll back up Price for a year or two.

Price will still be young for a goalie about 31-32 when Fucale is ready to be a starter. That's when you identify which goalie you want to go with and who you want to trade.

So the problem holds no weight for a very long time.

Probably even longer than that. Price's best asset is is his positional play, so he could be at least a very good goalie until he's near 40 a la Brodeur. Is Fucale shows promise, we may have the best problem to have in about 5 years.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
If I am not wrong, Fucale is 18 and Price is 26.
You see where I am going?
We are not looking at anything before 5 or 6 years.

Price's contract expires in 2017-2018.
So maybe it will happen before.
At that time, Fucale would be 23 years old.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
This dilemma with Fucale and Price is basically the same the Habs are going to face with Henri Bellemains (draft eligible 2016) and Galchenyuk, as well as with Konstantin Putzepukinzenet (draft eligible 2017) and Gallagher.

The Habs are going to have make some really tough choices. But I think Slobodan Tasse (Habs GM circa 2018) will be patient and make a solid deal with the Las Vegas Craps at the 2019 draft -- Fucale, Bellemains and Putzepukinzenet for the 1st overall pick, which of course means the right to draft Xiao Pingping, who would fit perfectly in Coach Koivu's system, once he learns the language and adapts to ice.

It is a bit far off, and things might change, but as of now that's how I see it going down.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
This dilemma with Fucale and Price is basically the same the Habs are going to face with Henri Bellemains (draft eligible 2016) and Galchenyuk, as well as with Konstantin Putzepukinzenet (draft eligible 2017) and Gallagher.

The Habs are going to have make some really tough choices. But I think Slobodan Tasse (Habs GM circa 2018) will be patient and make a solid deal with the Las Vegas Craps at the 2019 draft -- Fucale, Bellemains and Putzepukinzenet for the 1st overall pick, which of course means the right to draft Xiao Pingping, who would fit perfectly in Coach Koivu's system, once he learns the language and adapts to ice.

It is a bit far off, and things might change, but as of now that's how I see it going down.

Well played :laugh:. At least it got your point across.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
So in 4 or so years we could be facing a future issue IF Fucale reaches his potential. If Fucale in 4 or 5 years has shown he can play well in the NHL and price can bring in a good return what would you do? Obviously this is just hypothetical, but if Fucale looked like he can be a good starter and Price could bring in a good top 2 dman or top line centre I consider it. What would you do? Trade Fucale? Trade Price? This is In no way a Price hating thread, I'm thrilled with how he is playing this season.

Slow down bro.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012

Dude....no way Pingping goes first overall.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Hell, some were still arguing Halak vs Price just a couple of weeks ago.:D

Halak vs Price will be a small blip on the radar compared to Price vs Fucale.

Edit.....just because I can now.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad